X-Bow noise, I saw the light

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WNYBILL

X-Bow noise, I saw the light

Post by WNYBILL »

I have done about everything to quite my Axiom. Finally noticed the noise while I de-cocked it. The BIG twang is when you pull the trigger and the string releases. There is no way to quiet that! Maybe a Flemish string would help a little. Anyway, I had a deer "jump the string" again this year. Guess our WNY deer are quicker than everybody else's. I am back to wanting 1000 foot pounds of energy and 3000 FPS.
bdog

Re: X-Bow noise, I saw the light

Post by bdog »

you say when you decocked it, a big twang when you pull the trigger and the string releases, as in a dry fire? and a deer will jump any noise within ear shot if it's looking towards you or just standing there being attentive.....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Have you tried any of the Drstirrup products to try and quiet your bow?
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Simple catwhiskers or better yet yarn puffs work wonders on the string
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

A 32 strand Flemish string (d97)will help quiet/soften the shot. A heavy arrow will help also. Do you have shrink tubeing on the arrow retainer? Jefro
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I use all the silencing measures you can think of, short of using whiskers and foam filling the rail, and this is what I have found to be most effective...

A laminate stock might be a close second :lol:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
catclr

Post by catclr »

WNYBILL wrote:I have done about everything to quite my Axiom. Finally noticed the noise while I de-cocked it. The BIG twang is when you pull the trigger and the string releases. There is no way to quiet that! Maybe a Flemish string would help a little.
I get the same noise when de-cocking my M355, using the Dr. Kocker, but when shooting it, weather at target or animals, the only noise I notice the the Thwack when the arrow hits the target or animal. I use the flemish strings also.

I had a buck in our gun season, jump the bullet, when he hear my blind chair squeak. :lol:
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Keep shots to 35 yards at calm Buck you should be fine..
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hey Bill,
What are the circumstances where the deer "jumped the string"? This has not been my experience at all even when the deer are attentive. But I limit my shots to under 30yds. If you missed clean over the top of the deer, you are talking about the deer moving 8" or more. So I'm curious as to what might be happening. Even though an Axiom is a bit slower than some others, it shouldn't make much difference.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

I had a few bad hits due to deer "jumping the string" or even once turning for about 45 degree before bolt hit him (was actually very embarrassed that time because someone invited me for a hunt). ALL 20 yard shots, ALL relaxed deer. Exomax was the crossbow.
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

The whitetail is SO fast!!! It is hard to even believe! I hunt with a flintlock rifle sometimes, I honestly have had several deer jump the lock...even on the rifle!
WNYBILL

Post by WNYBILL »

It is the noise when the steel pin releases the string. You can hear it on the instruction video that Excal has on their website. It is a noise I never noticed before and I see no way to alleviate it.

Bill
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Honestly, this is all for absolutely nothing. Crossbows are loud, period. Can they be made quieter?....absolutely. Are they still loud? ....yes. That's kind of it. As to the string jumping, the way I see it the options are 1.) Shoot at relaxed deer, not high alert. 2.) Keep shots close. 3.) Aim for low heart shots. If the deer doesn't jump, you hit the heart. If it does jump you hit high lungs.
That's my take anyway. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.