Why did you buy an X-bow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mr meat

Re: Why did you buy an X-bow?

Post by mr meat »

To extend my hunting season from 1 week to 9!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

No medical reason for me, just was bored with verticals and decided one day try a crossbow. I own four now and am contemplating another one.. :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Loved my verts and shot across most of Canada and into the U.S.. I was an insane bowhunter and hunter in general (possibly rivaling Ironoggin :mrgreen: ). Fast forward right shoulder reconstruction then two torn tendons in my non surgery shoulder equals my new obsession! After my first kill I was hooked. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

flightattendant100 wrote:They are COOL

I'm COOL

Match made in Heaven! :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
JerseyJeff

Post by JerseyJeff »

I admit reluctantly entering the world of crossbows. I was a county rep. with UBNJ back in the early 90's, when the organization was decidedly anti-crossbow.
Then, in 2005, while on the job as a firefighter, I permanently injured my rt. shoulder, severed rotator cuff that could not be re-attatched. I thought my bowhunting days were at an end. After two years I found I could draw a lower weight compound. Then in 2012, the left rotator cuff had to be repaired. I gave my gear to my son.
After sitting out a few seasons, I realized all that I was missing. A crossbow was the obvious answer. Excalibur the obvious choice. :D
Funny how life's experiences can change one's attitudes.

Jeff
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Cause I love bowhunting and had to give up my vert,, wish I woulda bought an Excalibur sooner!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
mike52

Post by mike52 »

I am retired but still work two days a week the rest of the week I spend with my 6 grandchildren. I like to shoot my guns but have to drive 25 mi to my farm. I bought a crossbow and setup a target in my backyard now I can step out my back door and shoot. Now I am hooked
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

3 years ago NY state finally smartened up and allowed Xbows for 2 weeks at the end of regular bow season. I liked the idea of upping my odds of killing a deer during the bow season.
I do not shoot any further, 40 yards is my limit; and all my shots so far have been 20 yards or less. I'm 4 for 4 over the last 3 years with my Matrix, all pass throughs.
I love my Excalibur.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

At first a bought a cheap Chinese one, thought it was fun shooting but not accurate enough to hunt with. Bought an excalibur and the rest is history!! Now we have four of them. And we love them!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I grew up rifle hunting and got into bow hunting (with a vertical bow) while in college to get into the woods earlier, but with a young family and starting a "real job", I didn't have time to practice like I should and quit. I went the next 25 years just rifle hunting again. When Oklahoma and Texas legalized crossbows for everyone, I decided to give it a try and bought my first crossbow (a used Exomax). That was 7 years, a bunch of deer, and 3 crossbows ago.

What I find ironic is with the time I put into practicing with my crossbow I could easily be very proficient with a vertical bow again.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Hunted far and wide with my old compound bow & Loved It!
Too many shoulder injuries over the years finally caught up with me and shut that chapter of my life right down. :(
Drowned in self pity for years, and missed the archery seasons with a Vengeance!

Then a good Buddy in BC suggested I might want to consider a crossbow,
By coincidence, our Ducks Unlimited Dinner had a new DU Ibex up for grabs. So grab it I did! Shot a few deer with it, and was impressed. Graduated to the Exomax - shot a few more deer, got more impressed. Now run a Matrix 380, and am SERIOUSLY Impressed! Only thing I would change is I should have started with the crossbow a lot sooner!! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I became totally disabled in 96 n bought myself an Excal to continue Bowhuntin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Medical dispensation from the state.
Degenerative arthritis of the spine with bone spurs make drawing and holding a vertical bow all but impossible, especially after sitting hours in the stand in the cold...brrrrr
I love the ease of shooting my crossbows but they are unwieldy to still hunt with.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
TPM

Post by TPM »

I shot vertical bows on and off since I was a kid. Never really gave much thought to getting a crossbow. Back in 2004 Vixchix was out hunting with her compound and the combination of cold weather and the fact that she was six months pregnant lead her to the revelation that a crossbow might be more practical. I supported her with that and the following March she picked up her poop brown Vixen at the Toronto Sportsman Show at a heck of a good price. It actually sat in our basement unfired for several months until I bought a Right Stuff package for her. Ya, that was back in the day when Excals came with nothing but the bare bow with a peep sight. We got it set up with the scope and headed out to the range. From the first time I fired it I thought, " This is fun!". I was hooked. The following year she bought me my Phoenix for my birthday and not long after that we got hooked on 3D shooting. Life hasn't been the same since. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I bought a crossbow when it became legal to hunt with one in Michigan's archery season. I'm a two country hunter and crossbows were always legal here in ON, but I couldn't justify buying one to only hunt in Canada when most of my bow hunting was stateside.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits