Range Finders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

leonk

Re: Range Finders

Post by leonk »

I just got Nicon prostaff 650 yards model.
I haven't used rangefinder in many years and I was pleasantly surprised by the small size of the unit.

OTOH, I am not very happy with it because the display is in black and I can hardly see it near the end of legal shooting time, also the eye relief is might be good for glass wearers, but it's not comfortable for me and there's no adjustable eye piece. The 650 model can't range edge of the bush (firs or brush) at 300 yards.
I can't imagine trying to range even a coyote size animal beyond 200 yards with 6x magnification and the size of the lens objective (and who needs a rangefinder for under 200 y..?).
I might return it...
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I have the Leopold RX650. It is bare bones digital readout but measures the same in different light. I usually shoot enough objects with the range finder to know distances in my shooting area and it works well. But if you need to measure game or hunt a new spot in the dawn there are probably better options.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have Nikon 550 ProStaff and I hate it, (brutal optical quality, readout is dark, magnification is too high for bow hunting), but I never go afield without it because it simply works!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
figam

Post by figam »

Could not shoot without one. Use a HHA Optimizer so need to know exact yardage if i am shooting over 34 yards. With a range finder I took 4 deer over 45 yards this year. Use a Nikon with arc capability. It will read to end of legal shooting light.
Steve Gardner
Eck

Post by Eck »

+3 on the Leica. I don't leave home without it!
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I do and I use a Leupold...small, compact, accurate as heck...gives you angle up and down in degrees....a little pricey...before this one I had a Bushnell and had no complaints...

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/391144 ... swodxP8EBg

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

I was thinking about getting the Leupold RX FullDraw DNA. Anybody have one or any thoughts on it ?

Thanks,
Doug
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I have a Bushnell range finder that is always in my hunting pack. I usually use it to range a few landmarks at the start of a hunt and then tuck it back into my pack. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Bino/range finder combo. They are pricy but I wouldn't be without mine for archery or rifle hunting. I have a pair of Bushnell Fusion 1600 10 X 42. Have ranged over a mile with them. Leica Geovids for the discriminating among us. Saves having two pieces of equipment. Binos are a must.....range finders are the nice to have.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I use a rangfinder for archery, rarely for rifle or shotgun

I currently use a Leupold 1000 tbr dna. It does the trick. I bought it used and its worked great compared to the old Bushnell I used to have. With the bushy I couldn't range 50yards if aimed at the grass in the yard, it needed a more solid target to acquire. (in fairness, it was an older girl) The Leupold does all that the Bushnell wouldn't, and will do it in the fog too. I love this rangefinder even though I have not used most of its capabilities. The one thing I would change is that I wish it were easier to change the illumination settings. Its a bit of a process to go up/down and as the daylight changes so should the illumination of the yard markings or you can washout the target. . not enough illumination and I cant see the range during mid-day light. But maybe its my colorblindness that creates that problem for me.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Amazon has LEUPOLD RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Laser Rangefinder Black/Gray OLED for $329.94 Its the one with a red OLED display.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YJU3Y6?ta ... pcomp-wm-3
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Always,, unless I forget that too,,,,, :oops:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

ThackMan wrote:Amazon has LEUPOLD RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Laser Rangefinder Black/Gray OLED for $329.94 Its the one with a red OLED display.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YJU3Y6?ta ... pcomp-wm-3

.....Excellent price for sure!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wsisk

Post by wsisk »

Thanks to all that replied.Really good info. 8)

Wesley
MIcro 335 GEN 2
Widow Maker/ Undertaker
Nchunterkw Strings
Vixenmaster Slave Stringer
Cabelas Laser Stricker 11 Broadheads