indexing arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

indexing arrows

Post by bobcat »

so i love how my micro shoots with stock quills and 125 spitfire and 125 field point, To the point that im not ready to invest in custom arrows anyway.
I have a bunch of quills and the same one went through 4 deer this year and one last. But i saw guys talking about getting better groups by indexing arrows?
Im assuming this is more or less marking a cock feather so you are shooting it the same every time.
so how do you go about it? mark 1-2-3 vanes and shoot each arrow against itself to find which vane down groups the best?
or just mark them all and shoot the "1" down and start turning the "flyers" or ones that dont group with the majority until you find the vane down that does then mark them all ?
i hope im saying this right.
or am i way over thinking this?
W.Miguire

Re: indexing arrows

Post by W.Miguire »

Go to youtube and key in indexing arrows and you will see how it is done
W.M.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The factory arrows are not target quality. If you are just trying to get better predicabilty from your arrows for hunting, you're barking up the right tree. Just number the different vanes and mark the vane as the cock vane that gives you the closest POI to your point of aim. Expect to cull some arrows. If you have lots of arrows, you could have more than one group.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

As above Don knows his stuff.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

thanks guys.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I index all my arrows that I make . It really helps me . made my own indicator it was easy. there are a few ways you can do it . bare shaft shooting or with the fletching on .But I like the indexer .
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I simply mark one vane on each arrow with a dot. I shoot every arrow at thirty yards using the dotted vane as the cock vane. I put all the arrows hitting the same spot on the target in a 'good' pile. I then mark the next vane on my remaining arrows with two dots and use that vane as the cock vane. I shoot these arrows and any hitting the same poi as the 'good' arrows get added to that pile. I now shoot the remaining arrows using the unmarked vane as the cock vane. If they still don't group with my 'good' pile they go into the penalty box and may end up as "chicken/rabbit/squirrel" arrows.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

good stuff here. thanks guys
SouthShoreRat

Post by SouthShoreRat »

Indexing is one of the most important things we can do to improve the consistency of a set of arrows.

There are two types of spine, static and dynamic. We are fortunate that the statically tested stiff point is the static stiff plane during dynamic flight.

At the dynamic spine level we find that during flight a stiff plane exists 180 degrees through the shafts and 90 degrees from the stiff plane a neutral plane develops. If we align the stiff plane to the same orientation within a group of shafts there flight consistency improves, sometime dramatically.

Look at it this way.

Lets assume the stiff plane has a north and south pole and they are positively charged and the neutral plane has no charge. Lets assume the energy applied by the bow is also positively charged.

When the bow applies the energy the north and south pole of the stiff plane repels the energy and pushes it down toward the center of the arrow and out along the neutral plane. Because this happens arrows flex 100% of the time along the neutral plane.

Indexing arrows will case each arrow to begin to flex in the same orientation every time as they come off the crossbow.

We have indexed every arrow we have sold over the last 14 yrs. Matter of fact when we opened out online store there wasn't a single shop providing this service. Today indexing is found all around our country online and many pro shops have added this valuable service.
The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
www.southshorearcherysupply.com
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i guess it is rocket science... :lol:
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

southshore.... i sent you an emial
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I will never think of my little zombie as just a bolt from now on . I was gonna explain the spine thing but you took the words right outta my mouth lol. Happy new year. !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

bobcat wrote:i guess it is rocket science... :lol:
It's up to you, but don't get sucked into making arrows a science project. For hunting, it doesn't have to be.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Boo wrote:
bobcat wrote:i guess it is rocket science... :lol:
It's up to you, but don't get sucked into making arrows a science project. For hunting, it doesn't have to be.
As usual great info.I was at gun /archery shop they have been into bows for 60 years ..They dealer for excal..
I was talking to Beth about Bob missing that buck and she agreed with us on here that on scopes that come with crossbows a lot if you do not put your cheek on rest and sight in that way sitting/standing you can shoot off.Then throw in being in treestand shooting uphill at 41 yards ..

She said adjustable cheekrest is becoming a big thing on crossbows that adjust out to suit your face and how you look thru the scopes..She said better scopes do not seem to have problem as much as the factory stock scopes with bows..

I know my cheekpiece seems to fit me fine but it could be out farther i think ..Most already know this here just sayin...
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

paulaboutform wrote:I simply mark one vane on each arrow with a dot. I shoot every arrow at thirty yards using the dotted vane as the cock vane. I put all the arrows hitting the same spot on the target in a 'good' pile. I then mark the next vane on my remaining arrows with two dots and use that vane as the cock vane. I shoot these arrows and any hitting the same poi as the 'good' arrows get added to that pile. I now shoot the remaining arrows using the unmarked vane as the cock vane. If they still don't group with my 'good' pile they go into the penalty box and may end up as "chicken/rabbit/squirrel" arrows.

Paul
"chicken/rabbit/squirrel" arrows. :lol:
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH