Old bear recurve

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aib1015

Old bear recurve

Post by aib1015 »

I was given an old bear recurve. From what I've been able to find I believe it was made somewhere between 1970-1972 (please chime in if I'm wrong). I'm currently in the process of lightly sanding and refinishing it. I plan on sanding it just enough to remove the old finish and get all of the crackling out of it. Is the spray on polyurethane a good choice for a new finish? Is one kind better than another?

I'll also need a new string, not sure of the length. Does anyone here make strings for recurves?

ImageImage
wildcatter

Re: Old bear recurve

Post by wildcatter »

Get ahold of Vixenmaster or one of the guy's in the classifieds about a string there are plenty with the talent to twist a fine string up fer yer bow. But on these old bows check first top see it the limbs have taken a set and not running true any more. I have seen many that were stored standing up, unstrung and have a twist in the limb, or limbs, if not they're fine shooters.

I have a mint old Kodiak Magnum that is a beauty, but I don't know anything about refinishing one, I would check first as it may not be a good idea, I simply don't have a clue. Good luck and enjoy that great vintage bow!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

It does have a small twist in the limbs. I've done a little research and am going to hopefully straighten it up with a little steam. The twist isn't that bad and I hope I can resurrect this old bow and put her back to some good use.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

From the Serial Number and standing Bear logo it appears your bow was indeed manufactured in the early 70's . Be very careful with the string material you use for it . You might want to find a primative weapon forum for information on a string .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

The folks at Three River Archery will have what you want and an answer to all you questions, give Dale a call . as far as your twisted limb it ain't easy to get them out once they take a set it's hard.
W.M.
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

Now That Bring Back Memories My First Recurve In 1977 :D :D :D
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
bdog

Post by bdog »

If the limbs are twisted you can correct them and bring um back, don't use steam because you can delaminate them if you're not careful, try a hair drier and try and twist it back, use gloves because it will get hot, or try running hot water on the limb and twist it back, it will take a few tries, but keep at it slowly, twist it back and hold it there.... nice bow you have there
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

I used a heat gun and believe I got the limbs pretty straight. Heated them up, twisted it straight and then clamped it down to a table to help hold it straight overnight. I plan to finish lightly sanding it and putting a nice satin finish on it. I'll post some pictures once I get it looking and shooting good again.