Nock problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

foofoo

Re: Nock problems

Post by foofoo »

few years back ive herd from a tech guy in Ohio that carbon express nocks being too slick or somerthing having a slipping partial dry fire issue. at the time i didnt have an issue but i did rough up the flat a little by scuffing with sand paper.going forward ive been using Parker capture nocks on my black eagles arrows. no issues so far and peace of mind.
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

Might try that n see if it helps some was gonna see bout finding some different nocks for em. Bout ready to give up on em and just buy some more firebolts they shoot great out of the max.
Exomax & Matrix 355
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

So do the Parker capture nocks contact string through the forks on trigger? Cause if they hook on string through the fork man that would be perfect like you said peace of mind knowing its fully contacted b4 shot.
Exomax & Matrix 355
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I had problems when I ordered some arrows with Luminoks nocks. The vanes on the arrows were just a fraction bigger than the vanes on the arrows without the Luminoks,which caused the arrow to sit slightly higher in the track there for not being center with the string when cocked. This caused a semi dry fire. You could tell by the damage to the cock vane. The only way to correct this was to shave the vanes on the arrow so the arrow would lay flatter in the track and the nock would be center with the string.
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

Well fixed the problem so far.. I adjusted arrow retainer bought new string at archery shop n scuffed up the backs with fine sandpaper n she is shooting very nice. Went 20 for 20 with out a problem n built up alot of confidence. I dnt know which step fixed it but the max is a sweet shooter now thanks again to everyone who gave me some advice y'all r the best.
Exomax & Matrix 355
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

HI Bo,
Glad you got the nock issue corrected. The next time you purchase new bolts consider trying BlackEagle. Many of us have had good results with them.
Best of luck
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
galamb

Post by galamb »

I had similar issues with Bone Collectors and PileDrivers when using them with (their) factory flat nocks.

The best I could figure was that the nock itself was "too slippery" and the string was sliding under the nock once fired causing the partial dry fire.

I did take a bit of sandpaper and rough up the nocks and that cured the problem.

But in the long run I simply switched to moon nocks, which I continue to use with my GoldTips and that cured the problem completely - have never had a partial dry fire since.

And while some will tell you that moon nocks are a no-no on Excalibur's I have been shooting them "without incident" for the past 5 years or so even though its such a "huge hassle" to make sure that the cock vane is "down"....
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

Yea good advice and this comming spring I'm gonna buy some more bolts and have been looking at the Black eagles as my next choice. Also got to wanting another Excalibur just so I'll have the max as a back up bow . Thinking either the matrix 355 or the matrix 350le seen a few good deals on ebay. Also wanted to say thanks again on the advice and experiences everyone shared with me.
Exomax & Matrix 355