Nock problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BoRed32

Nock problems

Post by BoRed32 »

I'm shooting a exomax and with 20inch fire bolts shoots fine but I bought some pile drivers and put the Included flat nocks on em it or keeps partially dry firing any ideas? What's the difference in the flat nocks on firebolts compared to the pile drivers
Exomax & Matrix 355
BoRed32

Re: Nock problems

Post by BoRed32 »

Any advice would help me greatly. I'm new to crossbows.
Exomax & Matrix 355
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've never heard of pile drivers but if you're getting partial dry fires the first thing I'll say is STOP SHOOTING THEM! There are a couple possibilities I can see. It's possible the outside diameter of those shafts is simply too small. Secondly, is it possible you didn't seat the arrows all the way back or thirdly, a combination of the two. If your arrow retention spring isn't tight enough on a smaller diameter shaft it's possible you're seating the arrow but it's sliding forward slightly so the arrow is no longer seated correctly. I'm betting your issue lies somewhere in there.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

Yea I stopped shooting them didn't want to mess my bow up. They are made by carbon express. Do you think the nocks being plastic has anything to do with it? Been doing some research and seen alot of people are against the plastic flat nocks was wondering if I bought some aluminum nocks would it help any?
Exomax & Matrix 355
Boo

Post by Boo »

What is the diameter of the nock? Are you pushing the arrow back past the ADF?
You might want to remove your string and slide the arrow back into the trigger unit to see where it hangs up.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

Specs says .348 and inside is .284 for nock. My exomax doesn't have the anti dry fire upgrade on it.
Exomax & Matrix 355
Boo

Post by Boo »

Is the circumference of the rear nock where it contacts the string sharp and not rounded?
How do you know you're getting a semi-dryfire?
Have you tried what I suggested earlier?
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

That might be it the back of fire bolt is slightly rounded and the nock of the pile driver is sharp n flat. The reason I say it's partially dry firing is the bow is louder and the bolt hits the ground way in front of the target where the firebolts hit in a tight group where I'm aiming at. Do I need to take some sand paper and try in round the edges a little?
Exomax & Matrix 355
Boo

Post by Boo »

Nope, sharp edges are good.
If you aren't shaving a vane off or damaging one or both of the upper vanes on the shot, your arrow isn't seated.
Again, did you happen to do as I suggested in a prior post?
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

Think your right did what u said bout taking string off and both pile driver n fire bolt went through trigger claw think my arrow retainer needs slight tweaking to hold down on bolt think it allowed bolt to slide out some causing the problems
Exomax & Matrix 355
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

I had a similar problem with my Exomax a couple years ago. Firebolts with aluminum flat nocks fired just fine. Firebolts with plastic flat lighted nocks would dry fire every single time. I upgraded to a Matrix shortly after that so I never did figure it out. The guy I sold it to has never had a problem with dry fire but he doesn't shoot lighted nocks. I am wondering now if maybe there was a problem with the serving.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Weigh the new arrows - if they're under 350gn that could be your problem.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

They weigh 442gr with 100gr broad head.
Exomax & Matrix 355
BoRed32

Post by BoRed32 »

What type of string was on your old exomax? I have a Flemish on mine.. I like it and have killed 4 deer with it so far haven't had a problem till I bought these new bolts for it with the plastic flat nocks hopefully I can get it straightened out. I'll tinker with tomorrow eve after work.
Exomax & Matrix 355
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

BoRed32 wrote:What type of string was on your old exomax? I have a Flemish on mine.. I like it and have killed 4 deer with it so far haven't had a problem till I bought these new bolts for it with the plastic flat nocks hopefully I can get it straightened out. I'll tinker with tomorrow eve after work.
I also have an Exomax. I use Firebolts with Nufletch Plastic Ignitor lighted flat nocks. My string is the standard Excalibur string and have no issues at all with dry fires.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35