380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
one shot scott

Re: Oct/Nov/Dec 2016 and now Jan 2017 !

Post by one shot scott »

Happy belated Birthday RJ!

Excellent pictures as always, Many congrats to you and the crew.

Did I say excellent pictures? because if I didn't, they are quite good. :wink: The one with the doe mid air reminds me of looney toons. I hear the music of Peppe Le-pew as hes bouncing away after the cat.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks Neil ... Congrat's to you as well ... From what I recall you had a great season > smoked a beauty Ontario buck with your 870 early November ... and didn't you do some USA side hunting as well ?
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Yessir, a buddy and I went to Michigan with our bows. It was a first for me, an extended weekend. He has friends in the LP and we lived it up, Good times! I hope to try it again sometime. I connected with two does. My buddy came thiiiiis close one night but just couldn't entice the deer to move towards him faster as nightfall came. Its beautiful there, a good amt of does in that area. Its funny, when your in an unfamiliar stand judging distance and size of the game can sometimes be a challenge. I have never been so high as I was that one night (stand height..) I swear that sucker was 60 feet! I think the thin air and lack of oxygen effected my sense of judgement. My first doe was a little on the small side and it provided a good enough reason for the group to harass me some. Even our hosts 15 yo son joined in. lol. Even after my much larger Doe they still jabbed me every chance they could. :lol: life is best lived when you can look back and laugh a little. Regardless, you can bet I sized up that 2nd doe for quite a while before committing!! lol
Anyways, after that Nov buck, my buddy sent our host a picture of it with the text "Neil found a slightly larger Deer" lol. (Just the right place, at the right time, with the right tool for the job). Took a yote this year at home too. A good year, even though Deer sightings at home have been few and far between.

& with that, I hope I have not hijacked your thread too much, sorry for that sir.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

LOL > Neil , I was cracking up reading the whole thing !

" the Lack of oxygen quote "

" the sizing up the 2nd quote" etc

I can just imagine since our crew do a lot of ribbing back and forth over the season , doesn't matter if its deer / turkey / whatever > " too small " , " too ugly " etc.

When in fact everyone in the crew know how much of an achievement it is to get deer/turkey/coyote close enough to take em down with archery tackle bow/crossbow/recurve whatever ...

And they all appreciate it when we get a chance to gun hunt (shotgun/rifle) and "bridge the distance" on shots we cant make with our archery gear > but bottom line the target prey still have to cooperate ( show up ) .

The comradery/challenge and friendly competition amongst the group are all “key elements” in a successful hunting season formula !

For example > This season CH arrowed a beauty buck from the ground at approx. 10 feet when it stormed in on him .

Within the group we all agree one of the greatest “ adrenaline rushes” we get during hunting is having “ real close encounters “ !

I joked with him saying my next deer would be 9.5 feet away ! …

Not long after I had a doe in front of my blind almost looking into the window ( wind was slight in my face that day ) the blind is on the East side of the cut with a usual west wind … I estimated her to be maybe 3 feet from the stirrup of my Exocet … just outside the blind !

Problem was I didn’t have the bow to my shoulder … I was very cold after a long sit and shaking with excitement from being so close … she was out at 20 yards but facing directly at me so no shot opportunity > then she walked right up to the blind .. she eventually nibbled some sapling browse and she was so close I could actually hear her jaw chewing/crunching the sapling browse .

When I finally did try to make a move there were other deer close and they heard something that my ears couldn’t and all blew out of range …

That is why I eventually stacked a wall of straw bales in front of the blind ( to insulate the wind and buffer noise between myself and the deer ) and that is why I put my Exocet on a tripod so I could minimize any bow movement at the next close encounter !

PS : I just posted another thread > A repeat of an old post re : “ Rush of Close Encounters “
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "