Deer Drives

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Re: Deer Drives

Post by one shot scott »

sproulman wrote:Pa you were raised on deer drives and is way we hunt a lot here..
got 31 bears in 1 week down from last year 39 bears DRIVING ...

all were during drives with crossbows etc ..3 bears cleaned were 475/450/425 last year we had 1 that was 585 cleaned ...

everyone drives some crews are 25 members we have big crew for friday of flintlock for Buck hunting ....

only area I worry is allowing AR rifles while driving etc..THAT IS NUTS ... :evil:
IT AINT THE ONLY THING THATS NUTS
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

one shot scott wrote:
sproulman wrote:Pa you were raised on deer drives and is way we hunt a lot here..
got 31 bears in 1 week down from last year 39 bears DRIVING ...

all were during drives with crossbows etc ..3 bears cleaned were 475/450/425 last year we had 1 that was 585 cleaned ...

everyone drives some crews are 25 members we have big crew for friday of flintlock for Buck hunting ....

only area I worry is allowing AR rifles while driving etc..THAT IS NUTS ... :evil:
IT AINT THE ONLY THING THATS NUTS

:lol:

:lol:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Personally, I have never participated in any type of organized deer, or for that matter, Elk drive as I hunt them also.

That being said, I guess if it's legal where you hunt and you choose to use that practice I won't criticize except when it comes to driving them while chasing them with dogs. :roll:

In Washington state which is where I hunt, dogs of any kind or for any purpose are prohibited in the field while big game hunting..... Out here if you see them running or chasing deer or elk at any time of the year we use the tripple S theory....... shoot, shovel, and shut up....

I have never read of a hunter being cited for shooting a dog which is in the field actually "running" deer... I like that princple as it is kind of like me trying to shoot every coyote I encounter. I kind of equate that to the common practice of shooting feral cats.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I've participated in many deer drives, but like others, our drives were walking very slowly and quietly. The deer I've shot during a drive were not running, but more of a quick walk.

I've never understood why people drive deer hard, when the deer run full out, it gets their adrenaline going, filling their muscles with blood, and I believe that toughens up the meat. I've eaten deer from someone who always pushes deer hard, and always found the meat tough.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Personally, I have never participated in any type of organized deer, or for that matter, Elk drive as I hunt them also.

That being said, I guess if it's legal where you hunt and you choose to use that practice I won't criticize except when it comes to driving them while chasing them with dogs. :roll:

In Washington state which is where I hunt, dogs of any kind or for any purpose are prohibited in the field while big game hunting..... Out here if you see them running or chasing deer or elk at any time of the year we use the tripple S theory....... shoot, shovel, and shot up....

I have never read of a hunter being sited for shooting a dog "running" deer... I like that princple as it is kind of like me trying to shoot every coyote I encounter. I kind of equate that to the common practice of shooting feral cats.

Gene
In Ontario, its legal to hunt deer with dogs, (it's a time honoured tradition in many deer camps, in fact), but illegal to shoot them. Don't come and hunt in Ontario, Gene! You might find our COs not so obliging and your face on the front page of the Toronto Star. :shock:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

its strange to me how ive seen comments from hunters in some states saying trhat shooting dogs that chase deer is looked at as ok. is it because they are suspected as being wild or feral and would kill the deer? ive run into a feral dog once while hunting and although not a pleasant meeting i didnt feel threatened and certainly wouldnt think of shooting it. in the past my beagle mix would get on a deer while hunting rabbits. it would be crazy to me that someone would think its ok to shoot a dog just for chasing deer.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Here where I live we have a leash law. If your dog is off your property or not contained they are fair game. No repercussions from law enforcement for shooting them. If you care about your pets keep them off other peoples property, I do...

That probably doesn't come across the right way.

I have seen dogs come through while in the stand and I haven't shot them because I was unsure if they were a neighbors or not. If they belonged to a neighbor and weren't strays I would warn them about keeping their dogs contained. If you've been warned then you don't value your pet much IMO

As for your hunting beagle, I could understand if you hunt on a piece of property that might conflict with deer hunters or other owners. Most of the rabbit guys I know hunt on their own property and don't really have the opportunity for these kind of situations
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I never said I shoot all dogs I see... only that if I see dogs "Chasing" deer with their tungues hanging out and I have a way of stopping it, I personally won't hesitate... I put one of my own (a beautiful Ridgeback ) down after the neighbors complained of him often doing that very thing ....... I tried very hard to break him of this but to no avail.
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

foofoo wrote:its strange to me how ive seen comments from hunters in some states saying trhat shooting dogs that chase deer is looked at as ok. is it because they are suspected as being wild or feral and would kill the deer? ive run into a feral dog once while hunting and although not a pleasant meeting i didnt feel threatened and certainly wouldnt think of shooting it. in the past my beagle mix would get on a deer while hunting rabbits. it would be crazy to me that someone would think its ok to shoot a dog just for chasing deer.

I am not one of those guys who shoots a domesticated dog, but a dog running deer to exhaustion can kill it even if it doesn't catch it (domestic, wild or feral) & From what ive read, it doesn't take as much as you would think.
Last edited by one shot scott on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I have done drives every year for 25 years. I've never shot at a running deer. Either I can get it to stop, or I don't shoot. Most deer will stop for you if the drivers aren't running and shouting as they come through.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've hunted in a group and alone.... I much prefer being alone. But that's just me. I love to sit or wander the woods with no other people to distract me. To each their own.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Deer drives are tradition here in pa ..dad did it from 1930 and we do it...2 groups got 31 bears this year in 1 week last year 39 bears in 1 week..

Folks killing dog is wrong.Do everything to find out who dog it is.In pa you will be in trouble for shooting dog.I hunt grouse with Whiskers..I had hunter say he was going to kill him because I disturbed his archery hunting..He said I will just say he was chasing a deer.. :evil:

I will not comment on what I told Him what will happen to him ...

We have guy that shot 3 beagles that came on his property..He tried to say they killed his pet duck ..Shot all 3 with pistol.Well he is doing time in prison and is now felon...

Report dog and try to find out who the owner is..EVERY dog I have hunted with at sometime will chase a deer ..SHOCK COLLARS work to reduce this from happening...