Tell me about the HHA. What has been your experience?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Tell me about the HHA. What has been your experience?

Post by learn2flyfish »

The concept seems straightforward but I'm concerned that they are fragile. What say y'all?
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
paulaboutform

Re: Tell me about the HHA. What has been your experience?

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm a huge fan of the HHA Optimizers. They work great but you do have to be extra careful not to drop the bow on the scope. Mine tipped over onto the scope a couple years ago at Boofest and that was enough to put a bend in the rail that I didn't know about until I shot two feet above a target at 30yards. That being said, I'm still a fan of them. You should also be aware that it'll raise your cheek weld even higher creating more of a jaw weld. I'm okay with that and compensated for it with the use of the Tourbon Adjustable Cheekpiece. It's a great way to reach out to 100yards in one yard increments with extreme accuracy.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

paulaboutform wrote:I'm a huge fan of the HHA Optimizers. They work great but you do have to be extra careful not to drop the bow on the scope. Mine tipped over onto the scope a couple years ago at Boofest and that was enough to put a bend in the rail that I didn't know about until I shot two feet above a target at 30yards. That being said, I'm still a fan of them. You should also be aware that it'll raise your cheek weld even higher creating more of a jaw weld. I'm okay with that and compensated for it with the use of the Tourbon Adjustable Cheekpiece. It's a great way to reach out to 100yards in one yard increments with extreme accuracy.

Paul
Thanks Paul. How does it mount? I know it fits a picatinny/weaver but do the mounting bolts pass through like scope rings?
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Paul, I'm think about one also. Question...do you use a variable power scope? And if so do you leave it set at a certain power or can use zoom up for farther shots without affecting your settings or arrow trajectory? I'm a big fan of a single crosshair :D
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have an HHA on my Matrix 405 and I like it. I wanted it for long distance target shooting and this season that bow was my "go-to" rig. I'll write a detailed story some day of how this setup was literally the difference between a tag filled and a big buck walking this year.

Is it ideal, NOPE. The cheek weld becomes a jaw weld without a higher cheekpiece, its heavy, and from what I saw with Paul's they are fragile. His POI was way high at 30y after the bow fell. Calling it a fall might not be the best way to describe it, the bow was leaning and rolled forward and landed on the scope - wasn't dropped from any kind of distance at all. BTW, their CS is top notch and they stand behind the product 100%.

But if you want to be able to use variable power and a single crosshairs and you like to range - dial - shoot at game, it's perfect. When I am on stand, I can set my yardage for 30y and hold slightly high or low at 40y/20y and I am still in the killzone on snap shots where you don't have time to range or dial. Great for targets too.

I topped mine with a VXR 3-9x40mm that Paul sent me. He had the parallax adjusted to 75y. I can shoot at high magnification at any distance under 100y without any noticeable parallax.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
racking up points

[/quote]

Thanks Paul. How does it mount? I know it fits a picatinny/weaver but do the mounting bolts pass through like scope rings?[/quote]

No
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

It just clamps on the rail at any place - nothing going thru the rail. It is the ultimate for precise long range shooting. You can use your variable power scope. I have HHAs on my M405 & BD400. They are extremely precise.
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

SEW wrote:It just clamps on the rail at any place - nothing going thru the rail. It is the ultimate for precise long range shooting. You can use your variable power scope. I have HHAs on my M405 & BD400. They are extremely precise.
I just don't understand how secure the mounting can be with just clamping force. Is there a torque spec? How many bolts?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

learn2flyfish wrote:
SEW wrote:It just clamps on the rail at any place - nothing going thru the rail. It is the ultimate for precise long range shooting. You can use your variable power scope. I have HHAs on my M405 & BD400. They are extremely precise.
I just don't understand how secure the mounting can be with just clamping force. Is there a torque spec? How many bolts?
It clamps on the rail of your scope mount just like your scope rings do and in the exact same place. Then your scope rings clamp to the top of it ( it has a rail ).
Its the bologna in the sammich!
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Could someone take a pic of the underside of the HHA mount?
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

I'm a big fan of the hha optimiser.
Got one bow set up with the Leupold Crossbones set at max mag7x and one on another bow with an Eotec red dot.
Invaluable for 3d shooting.
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

I am a believer in this system. Have been using since it first came out. It is extremely accurate. With my Strykeforce am able to keep all arrows in a 6 inch area offhand. You must take your time and follow the instructions for best results. Have swapped out my 1.5 to 6 scope to a 2x EOTech. Nice thing about this unit is your favorite sight can be used. I damaged mine sent it back and they replaced it with a brand new unit, can't beat that. :D
racking up points

learn2flyfish wrote:Could someone take a pic of the underside of the HHA mount?
Ya just let me go remove mine! :lol:

Look at a scope ring, and imagine there isn't a bolt to pass through the slots. The bolts on the HHA clamp slightly above the scope rail - there are two. They did this for greater forward and aft play for eye relief and possibly because older bows may not have had scope rails that were cross slotted.

If you're looking for a weakness in this setup this isn't where you'll find it IMHO. You'll find it if you mount your forward scope ring too far ahead on the cantilevered part of the HHA scope rail. I think this is how Paul bent his up as mentioned. I set mine back as far as possible to avoid this. A picture is worth 1000 words right?

I am not thrilled about having my rings so close together, but you can see how mounting that forward ring any further ahead could be placing a lot more stress on the HHA scope rail in the event of a drop or a spill. That's my 2 cents.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Ah, I see. I've seen some clamping type Airgun mounts that are subject to the same type of recoil and they hold fine with moderately recoiling spring guns. If no one is having a problem with the mount moving then I don't guess there's a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Paul