Anyone shooting "Heavy" bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Anyone shooting "Heavy" bolts?

Post by learn2flyfish »

Like in the 500-600 grain range? Are they as accurate as the bolts in the 350-450 grain range?

Thanks,

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
paulaboutform

Re: Anyone shooting "Heavy" bolts?

Post by paulaboutform »

I've made up and shot both 500gr and 600gr arrows with extreme FOC balance and they were crazy accurate. I can't say they were more accurate but they shot great.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

During my hog hunt recently I used a carbon slugged 16'5" 2219 and a 92 gr brass insert with a 100 gr Slick Trick out of my Micro 355.
Total weight was 550 gr and accuracy was as good as my lighter arrows that I usually use for deer.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

I had the same experience as the other members using a 525gr arrow. Great accuracy, they nose dive at 40 yards and buck the wind better than a lighter arrow. Jefro
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dependin on the arrow material yer usin n size you can certainly add alot of up front weight to them. Sluggin them is one way addin steel set screws in the back of yer front inserts is anudder way. Awshucks n myself did alot of that back in 05-07 n later. I had some set-up heavy in the 700+ range n 600+ 500+ went thru hogs like hot knife through butter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The best combo is when you get a say 400 fps bulldog or like bow and match it up with a log.......... best of everything still fast . Hits like a ton a bricks. Quiet and easy on the limbs
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
SEW

Post by SEW »

The easiest way to increase weight is by adding it to the front(heavy insert + heavy BH) . This causes very high FOC which really affects trajectory, as previously mentioned, out past 40 yards. The ideal is to keep FOC reasonable and have a good balanced, heavy arrow.
Heavier vanes (3"), as offset as possible or lightly helical, lighted nocks for weight, heavy shaft, as long as practical, and 250-260g combined insert/BH (fixed) will be shot from my BD400 bear hunting next year.
As long as FOC is not too high, that post 40 yard dive doesn't exist.
Last edited by SEW on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I'm using a 700 grain arrow out of my 400BD. Nice and quiet, hits like a ton of bricks and very accurate.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Same here +500 gr for the bison (and hogs) and fly great and hit hard. Also quiet the bow somewhat
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have several brand new screw in 1 1/4" dia. 250 gn VPA3 blade Broadheads.... These are big heavy 3:1 broadheads that are very strong ( and spendy ) :wink: left over from my trad. days.

Any idea how they would work with a stock Excal 16 1/2" 252 gn Quill's with their standard aluminum insert's when shot from a M380 or M350 ? I just weighed that combo and it comes in at 502 grains.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

VPA will fly ok out to 20-30 yards then not so good beyond. I've tried the 3 blade 300 grn.
rej

Post by rej »

I use the 20" Firebolt and find them very good. Get the odd one that is irregular. First thing I do is re-fletch with "the Bolt" and 2" Blazers. One of my favorite heads is the Slick Trick 175 gr. xbow magnum. That gets you an arrow <> 550 gr. It is very accurate(1" groups at 40 Yd.) and goes through a deer easily. Also get this with a moose quite often. The other head I prefer for thick skin game is the NAP Hellrazor xbow. Heaviest you can get this one is 150 gr. Seems these COC heads penetrate better even though the bolt is lighter(<> 525 gr.) This set up is extremely accurate and goes right through a Moose or Elk. These are used in my favorite Excalibur, a Vortex. I have used the shorter bolts in it and while they were accurate they don't have the penetration. My sons have the current Excaliburs and they tried my longer bolts and they worked but quite a bit sticking forward. We cut some to 18" and they worked fine as well and the amount forward was manageable. I posted this mainly to show the path of Excalibur development. Gains in one field mean losses in another. Not that it matters much with Excalibur. They are all deadly game getters and best quality and reliability.
cropduster

Post by cropduster »

Mega 405
300 g V.P.A
Total weight 585
Hog killer special :mrgreen:
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

You bet... 2219 Eastons-20", 3" flex fletch SK 300 vanes, lumenok, 125gr Dirt Nap BH, standard insert. 722-724 grs... Oh. And man are they ever accurate! :mrgreen:
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

rej wrote:I use the 20" Firebolt and find them very good. Get the odd one that is irregular. First thing I do is re-fletch with "the Bolt" and 2" Blazers. One of my favorite heads is the Slick Trick 175 gr. xbow magnum. That gets you an arrow <> 550 gr. It is very accurate(1" groups at 40 Yd.) and goes through a deer easily. Also get this with a moose quite often. The other head I prefer for thick skin game is the NAP Hellrazor xbow. Heaviest you can get this one is 150 gr. Seems these COC heads penetrate better even though the bolt is lighter(<> 525 gr.) This set up is extremely accurate and goes right through a Moose or Elk. These are used in my favorite Excalibur, a Vortex. I have used the shorter bolts in it and while they were accurate they don't have the penetration. My sons have the current Excaliburs and they tried my longer bolts and they worked but quite a bit sticking forward. We cut some to 18" and they worked fine as well and the amount forward was manageable. I posted this mainly to show the path of Excalibur development. Gains in one field mean losses in another. Not that it matters much with Excalibur. They are all deadly game getters and best quality and reliability.
Swap out that Firebolt for something stiffer like a Zombie Slayer or Gold Tip Nitro Pro and you will get even better penetration. Even though my Micro and Vortex are pretty much equal as far as speed and trajectory, the Micro hits harder. I think it due to using shorter stiffer arrows. Less flex at impact. My 500gr GT Nitro tipped with a Ramcat passed completely through the bison in my avatar pic at 30 yds.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><