Climbing Tree Stands?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kwanzanator

Climbing Tree Stands?

Post by Kwanzanator »

Hi everyone!!

I am considering purchasing a climbing tree stand this season and I was wondering what your guys opinions are on which are the best ones to buy?
Safety is my number one factor, next to climbing ability.

Thanks! :lol:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Summit Viper .

Safe, comfortable and an "all dayer"....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

yes the summit is a very good stand. Also i like the old man climber. That is the one i have now.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Just bought a Summit Viper. Used it for the first time yesterday. No problems. I've never used climbers before so I can't compair, but I will say it's harder to coming back down the tree then it is going up. Be sure to use your safety harness while going up or down.
Kwanzantor

Post by Kwanzantor »

So summit viper is the one to buy eh! How much does it cost and are all climbing tree stands hard to climb down in?
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

They arent hard to climb with just going down a tree is slightly more of a challenge.
-Richard-

Post by Guest »

if money is no object and for your safety and if you want a quiet stand...It will hold up to 350 lbs...Lonewolf is a great stand...
kwanzanator

Post by kwanzanator »

I think I'm sold on a Summit....they loook nice and reliable!! Where can you buy one of these in Ontario? or even Buffalo?

Post by Guest »

Hey KWAN, Just thought id give my 2 cents. I just got a heckava deal on an API Grand Slam Stealth Bowhunter climbing stand. I was very impressed with the finish of the welds and quality of the whole stand desing. And above ALL ELSE it came with the finest safety harness I have ever seen. I have bought alot of stands and in order to be a member of the treestand manufactuiring assoc. you must have a safety belt with your stand and alot of manufacturers give the rinkiest pieice of crap they can get buy with and I have to say that API sells nothing but quality and saftey above all else period! This is a very quiet and quick to use stand to get up easliy but most importanly STAY THERE till you want to come down. I would say atleast look one over before you buy because what is your life worth to ya at twenty feet in the air? The best deal may not be the safest way to go. I am sure there is some other very good stands out there and there isint a member here that will steer you wrong, just get what you will be the happiest with and that will give you comfort as you enjoy your hunt. Good luck and God Bless what ever stand you rest your can in....!
OK. DEER HUNTER

Post by OK. DEER HUNTER »

SORRY forgot to log in!!!! ooops...
For God so loved archers that he gave his only son in sacrifice for our sins. God will bless you with the flesh of the earth and is willing to help them who are willing to help themselves to mega bucks if you ask and he will!!
CaptainCharles

API

Post by CaptainCharles »

I prefer the API's chain to the Summit cables, just don't trust that slick piece of rubber to hold my fat butt 20' up a tree!
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
Kwanzanator

Post by Kwanzanator »

Hey thanks for the advice bros!! I was actually told that API makes the best stands out there and that was actually my first choice. But then I was told by another source, that there were alot of re-calls on the stands and they discontinued making them. Is there any truth in that?
A.W

Post by A.W »

Kwanzanator wrote:Hey thanks for the advice bros!! I was actually told that API makes the best stands out there and that was actually my first choice. But then I was told by another source, that there were alot of re-calls on the stands and they discontinued making them. Is there any truth in that?
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/treestand.html

http://www.heading-outdoors.com/tree_stands/

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/recalls/ ... Fproducts/

Hope this is of assistance. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Dan_DE

Post by Dan_DE »

I've used the API Bowhunter climber for the past two years & have been fairly happy with it. I haven't used other types so I can't make relative comparisons. The main drawback is that it's a bit of a hassle to put the stand on the tree in the dark. It involves putting pins through the frame and chain. It's ok as far as comfort, but the seat tends to bunch back toward the tree, and the back pad takes the edge off the bumps, but that's about it. I agree that the harness strap that came with it is very good. I understand that this model has been changed since I bought mine, but I don't know to what extent.

Overall, I'd rank it a 7/10.
Daniele nli

climbing treestands

Post by Daniele nli »

i have the api grandslam bowhunter,
hunted with it for 3 seasons, outstanding performance, but i made some changes to their belt style harness to a car-seat belt buckle for comfort and safety, also extended side rails some with alluminum flat rails( Drilled holes to fasten) only for confort once in hunting position, provides a rail to lean suff on.
Just bought a Viper (2003 model)works good but time will tell, i like the sit-and-climb instead of leaning on my arms to lift my weight plus the platform. Son Adrian is now blessed with the API model, he is younger and leaner :lol: :lol: .
As far as the cables slipping i think it's important to secure the stand once in position quickly.
My 2cts worthsiize=18][/size]