Why the shorter bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Why the shorter bolts?

Post by learn2flyfish »

One thing I've been noticing is that every new model I've look at takes an 18" or shorter bolt Is this for speed? Or is it because the physical dimensions of the bows have gotten smaller?

Are you not sacrificing projectile weight and therefore less KE for these smaller bolts?

I've got a Vixen and a pile of 20" bolts. Can the 20" bolts be shot in the newer bows?

Thanks,

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Boo

Re: Why the shorter bolts?

Post by Boo »

Most guys want their arrows to fit into the forward area of their stirrups. One reason is not to have an arrow point or broadhead point at their foot. It may slice their shoe/boot if they stick their foot in when the bow is loaded and worse, if the bow is decocked and the arrow is left in.... well, I'll leave that to your imagination.
Second is that they don't want their arrows stuck into the ground when they put their bow down stirrup first.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

You can shoot your 20" arrows in the crossbows recommending 18" or shorter arrows if you don't mind the broadhead sticking out past the stirrup.

As limbs became narrower and string stroke shorter suggested arrows became shorter to fit the shorter mainframe deck and within the stirrup.

I find my Micro and Matrix 16.5" and 18" arrows grouping the same as my 20" arrows that I used to use in the older Exo series.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Bulldog 380 20 inch arrow.
Bulldog 380 18 inch arrow
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Boo

Post by Boo »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:Image
This one will play Pokeroo with your foot, should you screw up. Before you think to yourself not me, think of what the people thought that did peg their foot into the ground. I think the same goes for dry-firing. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Why temp fate? :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SEW

Post by SEW »

BD400 20" ST/ FOC. To me, a 20" arrow is ideal for a BD400. I also use 20" STs with Griz Tricks out of my M405. Only my M380 uses 18" arrows.Image

BD 400 with 20" ST/Xbow Trick.

I wouldn't want to shoot 18" arrows out of either the BD400 or M405 unless I was using a BH like a FOC. Even then, I prefer a 20" arrow with both of these.