Fixed Broadhead Results for 2016 Season?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

frankthedog

Re: Fixed Broadhead Results for 2016 Season?

Post by frankthedog »

Just got my crossbow this 2016 season...Matrix 350LE on sale at Wholesale...sold couple rifles and done...never strayed from the Excalibur lineup of gear, 200 grain Excalibur Diablo 18 " arrows and 150 grain Boltcutter broadhead into a nice lil' 2 point island blacktail at 20 yards...he did the big jump, ran maybe 15-20 yards, got dizzy and laid on down...there he stayed...I will stick with this setup from here on out man why mess around after that I figure...I will always stay with the Boltcutter man, B.A.T. or original...Just don't be taking questionable shots...
DuckHunt

Re: Fixed Broadhead Results for 2016 Season?

Post by DuckHunt »

Well, I knew many were waiting on a Wasp Drone review so here goes. This year I took my first two shots with a Wasp Drone on my Micro. The first was a 35 yard quartering away shot. Just as I shot the doe moved and the arrow entered farther back than planned. It entered the hind quarter and heavily contacted the femur. The arrow continued and buried up to the lumenock with the broadhead behind the far front shoulder. Due to the odd entrance, blood was limited. The doe went about 100 yards and went down in sight of my daughter. Had it not went down in sight of her, it would have been an interesting recovery.

Doe number two puzzles me. At last light I shot a doe from about 12 yards. She was in my face since I was only 12 feet up. She was just barely quartering to. I was aiming for my arrow to exit just behind the opposite shoulder. On the shot, she let out the biggest mule kick ever and went crashing off. I didn't hear a crash but it was silent not ten seconds later. After a short wait I got down and went looking for blood. I found none. None at all. At the point of impact I found what appeared to be stomach contents which led me to believe that I somehow hit way farther back than I aimed. The fact that I was finding no blood at all helped convince me that I somehow gut shot this doe at almost point blank range. I was disgusted.

Fast forward and I eventually found the doe. It only made it about 80 yards out through some thick stuff. Where did I hit? Exactly where I was aiming. The arrow came out perfectly, low behind the opposite front shoulder. It was a quick clean efficient kill. But, there was NO blood. I have no idea why this deer didn't bleed because I couldn't have placed the arrow any better. As for the stomach contents at the point of impact, I can only surmise that the during the grandest of donkey kicks where the hind legs kicked straight up that the doe lost some of her lunch in the process.

I then screwed on a Spitfire XXX with a 2" cut and harvested a six point that went about 75 yards and left an awesome blood trail even though the arrow buried in the opposite shoulder.

The Wasp Drone heads are the most accurate I have shot. They also take a beating because one got all bent up on a femur but still got the job done. But, I am less than impressed at the amount of blood that came out of either deer I shot. I'm still at a loss why I got no blood from an arrow that exited low behind the opposite shoulder.

I have a dozen or more left that will get eventually get shot, but a mechanical with a 2" cut will get launched first.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: