spray foam in rail

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

spray foam in rail

Post by ThunderXB »

I wanted to try the "foam in my rail process" to see if it quiets it down like others have reported.

Has anyone tried the "low pressure spray in expanding foam??

They do make a special low pressure foam for around doors and windows so that it doesn't bow them and I thought it might work if you block off the back trigger area.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
LongCarbine

Re: spray foam in rail

Post by LongCarbine »

I did it with my Matrix and Axiom , My wife said it makes a difference.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Any tips on doing it??

Easy to do or a real project?
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've had the same thought but heard it's a real mess and tough to remove should you ever need to. Why not try stuffing it with rags or foam from a kids swimming noodle thing.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I'm thinking that dense blue foam used in sleeping mats for camping would be the ticket. It is light, dense, and has exellent sound damping qualities and is very easy to work with. If I had any hearing left, this is what I would use. I've had some pretty hilarious experiences with spray foam and stay far away from it now. :roll:
Hank
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Just plain black foam (spongy) pipe lnsilation cut in 1 inch or so strips ...shove in with a long shinny screw driver .spray some silicone or wd 40 so it slides in. Pack it in the rail ....that spray foam is a mess never again.nooooooooooooo
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Use pool noodle - one of them would be plenty and it doesn't retain much water. Spray foam might hold water and it's sure to be a mess and more permanent than some would like. Use LBJs screwdriver method or just shove the foam in your ears, which will work better than any method :lol:

Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
roly

Post by roly »

I used high density foam to stuff in the rail of my equinox and found it made little difference. It's still in there, I packed it so tight I can't get it all out now. :lol: :lol:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Does not work on my micro ..I used soft pipe insulation ..Made no difference in sound...
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Come on sprouler it had to do sooooomthin.maby a teeny tiny little bit ....a tiny mouse squeek better ? Bang for the buck catwhiskers get the gold medal in my book along with the dr stririp stuff
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

hankenhunter wrote:I'm thinking that dense blue foam used in sleeping mats for camping would be the ticket. It is light, dense, and has exellent sound damping qualities and is very easy to work with. If I had any hearing left, this is what I would use. I've had some pretty hilarious experiences with spray foam and stay far away from it now. :roll:
Hank
X2, I tried the swim noodle, same material as the cheap pipe insulation,, did't do enough to make a difference. The high density foam did a noticeable difference!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

ThunderXB wrote:Any tips on doing it??

Easy to do or a real project?
20 min. prep time . I removed the cap at end , blocked off the trigger area with cut outs made of pink styrofoam .Then I put a little petroleum jelly inside by the pink stuff ( in case some leaked though ) and I put some in the tapped holes . Fill it up from the end let sit over night trim with knife wipe off petroleum jelly.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

paulaboutform wrote:I've had the same thought but heard it's a real mess and tough to remove should you ever need to. Why not try stuffing it with rags or foam from a kids swimming noodle thing.

Paul
X2. I used discarded white poly foam packing material (same stuff as swim noodles) and cut into strips slightly larger than the rail and stuffed it in, and I mean really PACK it in. I used a wood dowel to pack it into the rail. It weighs next to nothing and can be undone easily, and IMHO works just as well as the spray foam. My old Exo was spray foamed by the PO and while it works, it's not what I would have chosen to do. Maybe my imagination but I could tell a significant difference in my 380 pre- and post- foam packing.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

longbow joe wrote:Come on sprouler it had to do sooooomthin.maby a teeny tiny little bit ....a tiny mouse squeek better ? Bang for the buck catwhiskers get the gold medal in my book along with the dr stririp stuff
Joe, I took my other micro 335 and me and brother shot both and looked at each other and said,any better ?I cannot hear difference ..Air brakes on 1 you can hear difference but some say you cannot..

I pushed that real soft Foam pipe insulation in as tight as i could ..I think someone else said they saw no difference also on the micros but did on other bows...

I was hoping to hear difference .....
I was one of the inventors of Summit climber deadening system on their climbers that they used now and that did work ..
schott

Post by schott »

do we all get carried away with all this stuff trying to quiet the bow I like to hear from the people who used just the string stops for noise reduction