Broken limb tip (again!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Troubleshooter

Re: Broken limb tip (again!)

Post by Troubleshooter »

Boo wrote:
Troubleshooter wrote:
Boo wrote: A brand new factory original string?
I had it a few years at home (unused) as a spare-string. And did put it on the crossbow - while putting the new limbs on.
Is that yes?[/quote]

Yes, a new and unused string.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Troubleshooter wrote:Yes, a new and unused string.
Sounds Iike it isn't a factory string. Be aware that large loops are not uncommon in aftermarket strings and like Peter says, they are hard on limb tips. Large loops mean certain damage to limb tips.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Mr. Troubleshooter,

Sorry to hear of the issues you're having. Limb tip breaks historically happen when too much energy is exerted to the string which is normally caused by the arrow not being properly seated against the string. It is possible to have a faulty tip but that is much more rare. We also found that some nocks and lighted inserts if too slippery will allow the arrow to slip under the arrow causing the same issue. Some very stiff strings or strings with large loop ends can also be hard on limb tips. When we test limbs we actually dry fire crossbows multiple times and the limb tip fails the majority of the time.

The reason we are asking to get the entire limb system back is so we can offer any updates. If you're not interested in having any riser changes then we will gladly just send you the limbs. Please advise.

Peter
I'm sure the arrows were placed the right way (I always double check), but I use illuminated arrows (Excalibur) - maybe those are to slippery?

I had some (more) contact with Excalibur and they will send me new limbs.

Because I don't want to send the riser to Canada (to modify) - they can't help me with the riser part. (This part seems to be expensive to send a new one.)

So, I hope the riser was not the cause and it will not happen again.
Thank you for your information!

I also have to say: communication goes very quick by Excalibur! (quick response /answers)
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

Boo wrote:
Troubleshooter wrote:Yes, a new and unused string.
Sounds Iike it isn't a factory string. Be aware that large loops are not uncommon in aftermarket strings and like Peter says, they are hard on limb tips. Large loops mean certain damage to limb tips.
I'm sure it was a factory string. Package with Excalibur on it.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Troubleshooter, even if you tripple check that your arrow is seated properly, it might be able to slip forward if your arrow retainer is loose. Remember that most people point their bow down (for safety, safe direction) and a loose retainer might allow the arrow to move forward a little.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

I'm sure the arrows were placed the right way (I always double check), but I use illuminated arrows (Excalibur) - maybe those are to slippery?
The Lumenok equipped arrows have been pretty good and we don't see issues with them but we did see issues with other lighted nocks that were really shiny and slippery. It's probably not a bad idea to take some sand paper to any plastic nock and rough up the surface to make sure the string gets good traction on it and does not slide under.

Peter