VPA Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

portalto

VPA Broadheads

Post by portalto »

Looking to increase FOC,accuracy and kinetic energy. Can anyone give me feedback on 175 and 200 grain VPA non-vented broadheads using standard 18" diablos on a matrix 350 SE ? Thanks
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: VPA Broadheads

Post by Doe Master »

Don`t know these broadheads . But many years ago tried non-vented fixed on my crossbow with disastrous results because I was given them . :shock:
The front did a lot more steering than what the 5 inch feathers could handle . I think with the shorter crossbow arrows in comparison to vertical longer arrows . The affect of wind plane becomes more pronounced .
But if they work for you by all means let us know . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
SEW

Post by SEW »

I was never able to get 145g Bear Super Razor Heads to shoot out of my M380&405. Regardless of orientation, weight of insert(26,50,92g), they just wouldn't group. I believe Gaston shoots VPAs, maybe he'll read and share.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

David, I bumped up a post where those heads were used titled Back from South Africa. Check them out.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
portalto

Post by portalto »

Thanks Ex I looked at the link. I think I will experiment with the 175's. Should I just be going heavy insert and more options in a 100 or 125 head. My only dilemma is I was gifted one dozen diablos and am afraid of arrow damage when removing insert. Thanks for helping
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The Diablo's will do well for you as is with the 150 grain heads or heavier. Now, if you have a ton of money in 100 grain heads, you might want to get more weight in the front to use them.
portalto

Post by portalto »

Making the crossover and yes I have quite a few 100's around. Thanks again for your help
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I've tried them up to 300grn, they planed too much for my liking out beyond 40 yards. Keep it close they should be fine, good solid head.
hillHuntR

Post by hillHuntR »

Only use the lighter 125gr nonvented heads on black eagle arrows, but i am happy. Shoot as good as slick tricks did for me out to 40yards and are easy to sharpen. Think i am at about 5 deer and a coyote with them now
Axiom SMF
Redfield Revenge
2219's n' Slick Trick Std 125's

Exomax
Hawke 1" 1-5 SR
BEE's n' Slick Trick Std 125's
portalto

Post by portalto »

Excellent info folks. Only thing I shoot at past 40 yards are pigs. Thanks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I don't use them, not because of any negative reviews, just got a ton of other heads. That said, Drew had enough confidence to do South Africa with them, and he is as serious a hunter as anyone you'll find. Just saying!
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

I shoot the 100 grain vented and have shot them out to 70 yds on a windy rainy day with not much deviation from arrow to arrow. They pretty much all hit where they were supposed to. Close enough that i wouldn't shoot more than one arrow at any given spot if you like your fletchings or arrow. I do also use 110 grain brass inserts with these though.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Tag
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.