why 200 lbs limit in nys on crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Re: why 200 lbs limit in nys on crossbows

Post by hunter with MS »

I was manning a booth at a big outdoor sports show and I had my crossbow with me at the time . Had a NY Archery Hunter come to my booth and state that crossbows are a rifles I asked why and reply was they can shoot 100 yards plus and form 2 inch groups because at the same show there was a PSE booth and they had their crossbow there and the person at the booth stated he can shoot 100 yards plus with 2 inch groups every time . So with that NY decided to set the max draw wt. to 200 they are treating it as a rifle . They I think are not really concerned about the speed it is the draw wt. Less draw wt. it won't travel as far. Ct once had the crossbow set at 200 max draw wt. but the arrow had to be a min of 450 grain they have since dropped that . so there are still people who look at the crossbow as rifles not archery equipment .
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

mreyner wrote:I would look no farther the state archery group. They don't like crossbow anyway you look at them. :twisted: :evil:
The New York Bowhunters is vehemently anti-crossbow and fights it at every turn. They don't want crossbows during "their" archery season.

Bob
New York Bowhunters, Inc. is;
A well educated group of individuals, dedicated to the Preservation of Traditional Archery that includes the use of Compound, Long, & Recurve Bows in New York State.
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I once held a Modified archery permit for New York It allowed me to use a drawloc bow which if you look at it is a vert crossbow as you cock it the same as a crossbow and the trigger system was a release for a vert mounted on a rod that slide in and out and you clipped the release to the string and pulled it up in fact my system came with a stirup that screwed in to the bow funny how they are against the crossbow but not the drawloc . Now in Mass I can use a crossbow with a disability permit but not a drawloc .
Horizontal Hunter

Nice to see another member from Western Mass.

Not many remember the old Connecticut crossbow regs. I remember going before the board at Session Woods to get my first crossbow permit in Connecticut. I'm glad that they stopped all that nonsense.

Bob
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I know a guy who makes all kinds a stickers..... :oops:hes got a fast as heck micro 198 special lololol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I went before the board also in Ct . Yes I am glad they did away with that I went before a game warden in Vermont to get my permit .
Horizontal Hunter

longbow joe wrote:I know a guy who makes all kinds a stickers..... :oops:hes got a fast as heck micro 198 special lololol
I am sure that Dan would be happy to send you whatever replacement sticker you need.

Bob