To much power..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Magoo1973

To much power..

Post by Magoo1973 »

Hi there

Anyone know the poundage per draw-inch for a Matrix 380, kinda needs to back my poundage down a bit, can't find a target that stops my arrows at our range!
Planning to make a new shorter frame/rail/barrel (what's the proper word??) and need to find out how short I'm going to make it.

Looking to hit prox 190lbs, wich will be more than enough since were only allowed to do target-shooting with crossbows here in sweden..

Best regards

//Magnus
WVCBH

Re: To much power..

Post by WVCBH »

So..you want to redesign your crossbow because it shoots through a target?? :shock: I believe that I'd just get a better target.
Still lovin' my EXCALIBUR MICRO 355! :-)
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

X2 on getting a better target. :roll: Any standard bag target should stop it just fine. If you can't find one, take a burlap sack and fill it with rags. It WILL stop your arrows.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Your 380 is 260 lbs, divided by 13.1 power stoke = 19.847 lbs per inch means about 9.57 inches stroke for 190lbs :) with some rounding off of the decimals. That means you'd have remove 3.53 inchs. It can be done but you might be better off getting a Matrix 310 @ 200 lbs @ 10.9 "power stoke and save some work.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I went over and checked the draw weights vrs advertised speeds of several Matrix bows in the blue/grey section to the left of this post...

If you simply want to drop draw weight and resulting speed you could try trading for a 330 rail as 1 option as that will reduce your draw length to 11.4" and draw weight to 220# @ 330 fps.

You could also have Danny Miller or another good machinist take it down to 310 length of 10.9" but would need the addition of a 310 riser to get it down to an honest 200# draw weight. ( Or possibly another .1" down to the saphire length ) I would guess using your existing 380 riser with a 310 length rail of would put you in the 210# draw weight range @ about 320 fps. With a rail cut to Saphire length you would be getting closer to your desired weight of 190#..but not sure of speed if still using a standard Matrix riser vrs a back swept one like on the 310...

Personally, I would sell my 380 rather than take a loss on it's resale value if I simply used it at a club for target shooting.

In my case I'd save the 380 for hunting :wink: and buy a 90# Apex if simply concerned with over penetration and low draw weight.

A Saphire has a draw length of 10.8 which is only .1 shorter than the 310 but doubt there are many out there looking to move up to a 380 rail length in trade for theirs as those short deminsion bows with their shorter stocks are mostly designed for younger shooters and women who may be incapable of drawing 26# that the 380 rail woud require.

Best of luck in your quest for less draw weight and a resulting reduced amount of penetration.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Magoo1973

Post by Magoo1973 »

Hi

I realize my question seems a bit stupid and that I would be easier of trading it to a smaller bow.. however it's not that easy here in Sweden with our stupid laws.. I honestly think it's easier for you guys getting a real gun than it is for us getting permission to own a crossbow.

Thanks for your answers, I'm in negotiations with my club for better targets!!

I won't hack down the original rail, just have a friend mill out a new shorter one.

Best regards to you all!!