Mods to an older Wolverine

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RTRguelph

Mods to an older Wolverine

Post by RTRguelph »

I have a very nice Wolverine in mint condition.

What gains would I expect to see (and would it be worth it) to swap out the limbs for mag limbs (vs. carved).

Also, my only complaint is with the trigger pull. It's not bad, but would be happier with something little smoother. Is there an aftermarket trigger that would fit the Wolverine, or a mod that would smooth out the trigger without impacting safety?

Also - when replacing the string.. how do you know how much to twist the new string to tighten up the tension?

New to the forum, sorry if this is a repeat.
longbow joe

Re: Mods to an older Wolverine

Post by longbow joe »

Thats a cool bow. Im not sure the older bows will except a trigger tec . I would assume so. Im sure boo or some one will answer you. I would think a mag tip limb would fit also. I personally would not hesitate to sink a little money into a bow like that even though you will never get it back. Its just plain cool and new limbs n a trigger is a "new bow" anyway.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

First off . Welcome to the forum .
The wolverine trigger is not the same as the new series of trigger units so there is not a trigger tech unit available . But I think has one of the sweetest trigger pulls . Yours may only have a small burr on it if it has not been shot much .
The magtip limbs will fit on it and allow you to shoot newer string materials . But do not buy matrix or micro limbs .
Looking at the picture someone has already swapped the original limbs .
With a stringer it is easy to twist the string just enough . But make sure you twist the right direction or you are actually untwisting the serving . Which will cause serving separation . The only reason I do not say a certain direction is because if re-served the person may have served a different direction than normal .
You may not have the fastest bow on the block anymore . But you have a nice shooting low vibration bow . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I'm a little confused :? on the right side it shows you joined in 2013 ?????
I don't understand :?: :?: :?:

But then it shows I joined in 2015, and I actualy joined, aug. 14 th. 2011

Dave :roll:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

As far as his string question, I think he's referring to brace height, ie: how much and how to measure it, followed up by how to adjust it. :?:

I have never even seen one, but would think someone here who is familiar with this model would be able to supply him with answers. :D

I do know that when you do get your answer, your going to need a "Stringer" ( string adjusting/changing device ). Danny Miller, at Horizontal Archery makes the best available at a super good price and most likely can answer any question on about any Excalibur Model.... I don't have his phone # off hand but many here do. :wink: ( you can probably Google his business site for a phone # , but Danny does not do email. ) :lol: :roll:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
RTRguelph

Post by RTRguelph »

papabear1 wrote:I'm a little confused :? on the right side it shows you joined in 2013 ?????
I don't understand :?: :?: :?:

But then it shows I joined in 2015, and I actualy joined, aug. 14 th. 2011

Dave :roll:
Dave. I joined originally in 2013 looking for a bow on the Trader forum & reading posts. I actually found my Wolverine on another site & have only used it to date for Turkey. I would like to try it with deer as our rifle season it just getting too crowded & the weather seems to be pushing out the rut. This year especially was gong show..

Is there any videos or could anyone walk me through how to investigate the trigger burr? Currently my trigger pull feels more like an old 870 shotgun than a rifle? Not sure if that is normal?

I do have a stringer, & can probably use the current string settings to eyeball where my serving should rest on the rail. I was just concerned if there was a specific process to adjust/tighten?

Curious how one could tell my limbs were swapped already? & if I wanted to get a set of mag limbs - what model should be the donor limbs from? Is a limb swap an easy diy?

Cheers
Ryan
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ryan, be aware too that model uses Dacron Strings, the newer performance materials will ruin that bow.
Awesome older model BTW!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Could you put a picture up of the limb tip.
They do look like the newer limb type,it's just the colour looks off.
RTRguelph

Post by RTRguelph »

snuffbox wrote:Could you put a picture up of the limb tip.
They do look like the newer limb type,it's just the colour looks off.
I'll post one, but they are definitely the carved limb tips.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

You might try contacting Boo ( here on the Forum ) as he is a master at triggers ...

I'm pretty sure however, that being an Excalibur and considering their great customer service and "Lifetime Warranty", that the trigger could be returned for a bit of "Factory Tuning" under that warranty.

I would suggest you call Dawn or Peter at Customer Service and see if that's an option ? I would think being the off season now, that you could let them have it for a short time. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

How I know the limbs have been swapped is .
First off it says EXOCET on the limb closest . The colour of camo is just black while the bow is grey base with black and brown cedar camo . :)
I also find it odd that your riser is black camo only as well .
RTRguelph

Post by RTRguelph »

Doe Master wrote:How I know the limbs have been swapped is .
First off it says EXOCET on the limb closest . The colour of camo is just black while the bow is grey base with black and brown cedar camo . :)
I also find it odd that your riser is black camo only as well .
I'll have to post some better pics in the next day or so. The limbs don't say Exocet on them. The left limb says Excalibur and the right limb says Wolverine. From the previous owner my understanding was they were original to the bow.

Pics to follow
Ldz
Location: CT ( probably the worst state to be a xbow enthusiast )

Post by Ldz »

It looks like the real deal to me. It just looks funny because of the flash, that's throwing the color off. Should say Excalibur on passanger side and wolverine on the other. I thought they were exo limbs too at first.

I wouldn't do anything with the bow except hang it up! These are too precious. I guess you could get new limbs but just get a new bow and let this one retire. That's just my 2 cents.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

xcaliber wrote:Ryan, be aware too that model uses Dacron Strings, the newer performance materials will ruin that bow.
Awesome older model BTW!
Dacron strings only with the carved tip limbs, if you switch to mag tip limbs you can shoot newer FF strings and gain a bit of speed.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Okay my mistake . Does look like Exocet . :)
On my Wolverine I like to maintain a brace height of approximately 1.5-1.75" . The reason is because the Dacron is very stretchy when shot .
Personally if you want to shoot it . I would contact Excalibur to see about purchasing a set of magtip limbs and keep your original limbs . That were crafted by hand by a craftsman . :)