Lumenoks vs Firenocks vs others

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Lumenoks vs Firenocks vs others

Post by SEW »

This is the first year I've used any lighted nocks. I'm using Lumenoks and really like them. I don't understand how any lighted nock could work any better. Yet, many experienced Xbow users use more expensive lighted nocks and I doubt that it's just because they want to spend more money. So, I'd like to see some discussion on the relative merits of the various options. I'm especially interested in why people would spend more for Firenocks.
RexKay

Re: Lumenoks vs Firenocks vs others

Post by RexKay »

Hi Steve, I agree. Luminoks imo are the ultimate. I have some igniters that work well also. But I own a Scorpyd and a Tac which I can only find a lighted nock is by Firenok. I cannot justify the purchase as I ONLY hunt with my Excals. And they cost a fortune compared to luminoks. Maybe I'll ask santa next year for a set. A hunting partner uses his Scorpyd and has a set,and they are very bright.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
SEW

Post by SEW »

I do not have the newest version of the Lumenoks. I shot a doe yesterday evening at about 30 minutes prior to sunset. Clear sky. Still bright outside. 28' in cedar tree, 33 yards, M405 shooting appx 360'/sec. The Lumenok was very bright as it went to the doe. Very easy to see the point of impact. Not sure brighter would have helped. A month ago, I shot a buck , about 50 yards, virtually at dark. I could only see the nock as it sped to the target as I looked thru the Duralyt set on 6x. It showed the exact point of impact as it seemed to light up the entrance as it went through. Surprising, as I thought the bright Lumenok was too bright for me to see the impact in the near dark circumstance; yet, it lit up the impact point or at least seemed to. Same experience on a doe @42 yards.
In every case, the Lumenok seemed very bright and was helpful. I'm not sure, but think a low light setting might be helpful but that's getting complicated.
With a great scope like a Vortex Xbow scope or a VXR or Duralyt, others, a low light option might be of help near the end of shooting light.m
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

In my vertical bows I shot several different lighted nocks including Luminocks, but in my crossbow I've only used the Ignitors.

I've been happy enough with them.

Easy to use, pretty bright (only use the green), green lasts 50 hrs and fairly inexpensive (3 for $20).
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Big John

Post by Big John »

I've used Lumenoks extensively. And much to what the Manufacturer states, the nocks stay lit longer than advertised. I have shown more than a few on here that some orange (Red) stay lit for 5 solid days! That's 120 hrs.! :shock: And have had Green last another 12 to 30 hrs. longer. Just ask the guys from my Bear Camp. :wink:
They are a very good nock. Price is good. And they seem to be foolproof when installed correctly. They are now used on Excalibur arrows as most know. But for my compound bow I don't use the Lumenoks.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

The only model I'm familiar with is the Ignitor. But I have been happy with them to the point I now have a full dozen Z - Slayer's equipped with them..... I prefer the green as they are reported too out last all others by Nuflech.

Recently I found a "BOGO" deal on the "Ignitors" and picked up 6 green ones for the price of 3 from the manufacturer... I did post and try to pass that on at the time for those here who may have been interested.

I also have 9 Executioners set up with Nuflech "Ape Tails" in various colors, but due to their short 14 1/2" overall lenght ( which I feel is only satisfactory for my 335 Micro ) ) and their 380 grain weight "without points" I don't use them much, preferring to keep total weight at or below 450 grains which cannot be accomplished with even a 100 gn head.... when I have shot them however those yellow's, greens and Red's do show up nicely.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Firenocks are somewhat more expensive, and there is definitely a learning curve to installing them, but I am still using the same 6 I started with over 6 years ago. At lease 2 deer a year, plus I practice all spring, summer, and fall using them. New batteries once in a while, and that is it.
Took a nice 6 pt. last fall, did not get complete pass thru. Upon dressing him out, firenock was still on inside him.
The others might be good, but I won't let price and inconvenience get in the way of what I feel are the best.

P.S. Got to be the easiest on and off system, plus a great upgrade policy.
Dorge is a little hard to understand on the phone, but a great guy and probably a genius.
ihavethetools

Post by ihavethetools »

rattlerun wrote:Firenocks are somewhat more expensive, and there is definitely a learning curve to installing them, but I am still using the same 6 I started with over 6 years ago. At lease 2 deer a year, plus I practice all spring, summer, and fall using them. New batteries once in a while, and that is it.
Took a nice 6 pt. last fall, did not get complete pass thru. Upon dressing him out, firenock was still on inside him.
The others might be good, but I won't let price and inconvenience get in the way of what I feel are the best.

P.S. Got to be the easiest on and off system, plus a great upgrade policy.
Dorge is a little hard to understand on the phone, but a great guy and probably a genius.
May I ask, do you use the flat nock or the capture D2's ?
350 SE, Boo Custom String, Munch Alum Rope Cocker Hooks
Quake Sling, Hawke SB1 SR
Vixenmaster String,18" Zombie Slayers, Firenocks
DrStirrup dBKiller Limb Silencers & string bumpers.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Steve, I think your experience using the older Lumenok shows that the new and improved lights aren't needed over what you're using now. I was talking to Gaston and what he does with his is that he drills a small hole in the end of the light and he found it much brighter. He used a 1/16 drill bit. He removed the bulb/battery assembly before drilling. He's been doing this for 2 years. I gave him a smack for withholding information :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Flat nocks work for me. M355 and M380.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Boo wrote: to Gaston He's been doing this for 2 years. I gave him a smack for withholding information :mrgreen:
Don,
I also wish I'd had his broadhead recommendation before I shot that bear with my ill-chosen broadhead. But I have it now.
Boo

Post by Boo »

SEW wrote:
Boo wrote: to Gaston He's been doing this for 2 years. I gave him a smack for withholding information :mrgreen:
Don,
I also wish I'd had his broadhead recommendation before I shot that bear with my ill-chosen broadhead. But I have it now.
PM sent buddy!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Boo wrote:................. he drills a small hole in the end of the light and he found it much brighter. He used a 1/16 drill bit. He removed the bulb/battery assembly before drilling. He's been doing this for 2 years............ :mrgreen:

Wouldn't that put the electronics at risk of getting wet?

I've never taken apart a Lumenok so I don't know how exposed the innards would be, but I would want some reassurance before I did it.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi5 wrote:
Boo wrote:................. he drills a small hole in the end of the light and he found it much brighter. He used a 1/16 drill bit. He removed the bulb/battery assembly before drilling. He's been doing this for 2 years............ :mrgreen:

Wouldn't that put the electronics at risk of getting wet?

I've never taken apart a Lumenok so I don't know how exposed the innards would be, but I would want some reassurance before I did it.
Just check the stock of Lumenok's that I sell. They are already drilled out by Lumenok! You can blow through them!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....so I took the plunge at the Harrisburg Sporsman's show and Purchased a 3 pack of the Firenocks....$72 for 3 just because I like to try different things...I have been very pleased with both the Lumenok and the Ignitor....they all have pros and cons in terms of weight differential, cost, brightness, ease of use and installation....

.....I guess if I had to just grab one and "pop it in" the Lumenoks would be the go to one.....

.....price range goes from $5+ (Ignitor) to $9+ (Lumenok) to $24 (Firenock and it's Missile Arming Technology)...

.....have yet to try the Firenocks but I can't see me carrying a quiver or two of these babies with me unless the MegaMillions comes in!

Anthony :)
Last edited by amythntr on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings