Lumenoks vs Firenocks vs others

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: Lumenoks vs Firenocks vs others

Post by paulaboutform »

I have a pile of Luminoks and they work great. Period. They're easy to install, use, replace and they're relatively inexpensive. However, I have a custom matrix 420 that I put together and what started happening was that my plastic nocks and Luminoks began mushrooming and I was getting hairline fractures on the end of my arrows....and yes, the arrows were seated firmly against the string. Now, I understand this bow is extreme and the sheer string angle and power is not the norm for any of the Excalibur lineup. That being said, I made up some arrows with aluminum nocks, which I polished, and the issue was fixed. I still wanted to use lighted nocks for hunting and bit the bullet and bought a half dozen Firenocks and
six practice nocks. These attach differently than other nocks and it's a bit of a process but once they're on, they're on. The upside is that they work perfectly, are crazy bright and can be shot from extreme bows with no problems. They're the easiest to test by turning on and off without any tools or fiddling around. The downside is the cost. Honestly, if I didn't need them, the Luminoks work fine. If money isn't an issue, I say give them a try because they are awesome. You'll really appreciate the easy on/off but I can't say it's really worth triple the cost because I don't know if they're any more accurate.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:I have a pile of Luminoks and they work great. Period. They're easy to install, use, replace and they're relatively inexpensive. However, I have a custom matrix 420 that I put together and what started happening was that my plastic nocks and Luminoks began mushrooming and I was getting hairline fractures on the end of my arrows....and yes, the arrows were seated firmly against the string. Now, I understand this bow is extreme and the sheer string angle and power is not the norm for any of the Excalibur lineup. That being said, I made up some arrows with aluminum nocks, which I polished, and the issue was fixed. I still wanted to use lighted nocks for hunting and bit the bullet and bought a half dozen Firenocks and
six practice nocks. These attach differently than other nocks and it's a bit of a process but once they're on, they're on. The upside is that they work perfectly, are crazy bright and can be shot from extreme bows with no problems. They're the easiest to test by turning on and off without any tools or fiddling around. The downside is the cost. Honestly, if I didn't need them, the Luminoks work fine. If money isn't an issue, I say give them a try because they are awesome. You'll really appreciate the easy on/off but I can't say it's really worth triple the cost because I don't know if they're any more accurate.

Paul
Well said Paisan! :wink:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

One other positive thing about FireNocks, If you happen to bury an arrow under the grass or weeds or skip one off while stump shooting, you have a tendency to look a little harder and longer to recover your investment. Not a bad thing. To save a little money, skip the practice nocks with weights, just use the regular nocks, circuits, and a dead battery. Same weight.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

rattlerun wrote:One other positive thing about FireNocks, If you happen to bury an arrow under the grass or weeds or skip one off while stump shooting, you have a tendency to look a little harder and longer to recover your investment. Not a bad thing. To save a little money, skip the practice nocks with weights, just use the regular nocks, circuits, and a dead battery. Same weight.

....speaking of weight; what is the grain weight of said setup?

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Total arrow with 100 grain head is 418 gr. Total of firenock stuff, F nock, circuit, o rings, battery, and shock end cap, is 30 gr.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

rattlerun wrote:Total arrow with 100 grain head is 418 gr. Total of firenock stuff, F nock, circuit, o rings, battery, and shock end cap, is 30 gr.

....they told me 28 at the show but 30 I guess is fine....thanks for the input!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Eragon

Post by Eragon »

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I can't remember the weight but I believe they're slightly heavier than the Luminoks...I think....but just a little. Seeing as you've got them in your hands and not attached maybe you can put one together and weigh it for us.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

If you are referring to total weight of Firenock, check back 4 posts. Used a scale from Harbor Freight. Could be off a grain or two.
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

I like the Ignitors for cost and ease of use. I just leave them on while I am practicing, I don't turn them off until I'm done shooting.

The green color last for a long time.

The replacement batteries/lights are very cheap too. And I have totally lost track of how many arrows I found as a result of having the lights.

The aluminium inserts are easy to install and remove which is handy because I somtimes need to re-fletch and I prefur to use a plastic halfmoon nock with my Ez-Fletch Bolt tool.

They aren't really bright enough to see well in full sun...but they do shine real nice and bright at dusk/dawn.

Here is a picture of an Ignitor under about foot of crusty snow. A 200yard hail-mary at a hay bale with the Lynx and a blunt at o'Dark-thirty. :lol:
Wes
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I spend the extra money for the firenocks for the same reasons paulaboutform mentioned, as well as the ability to choose 3 different power options, and much longer run times than any other nock on the market with the BR batteries, as well as brighter.

Brighter is of little importance till you need it,, under 6" of snow you need it, had to go back at night to find it 40 yards past the deer I killed.
I have had to do the same thing when I buried an arrow under a clump of corn stalks in a field.

But the main reason is I own 3 different makes of bows, each uses a different nock, with firenock I can use flat D2 J or moon nocks and simply change the ciirciut board for the ones I am using that day,,,,, once the shock end caps are installed in the arrows for that paarticular bow. I have ruined one in 4 years, and that one went thru a doe standing in front of the river, a total pass thru put the arrow in about 8 to 12 feet of muddy water,,, I think it is well worth the price,, if 100% performance matters,,, concidering all the extra benefits only firenock is capable of.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

wildcatter wrote:I spend the extra money for the firenocks for the same reasons paulaboutform mentioned, as well as the ability to choose 3 different power options, and much longer run times than any other nock on the market with the BR batteries, as well as brighter.

Brighter is of little importance till you need it,, under 6" of snow you need it, had to go back at night to find it 40 yards past the deer I killed.
I have had to do the same thing when I buried an arrow under a clump of corn stalks in a field.

But the main reason is I own 3 different makes of bows, each uses a different nock, with firenock I can use flat D2 J or moon nocks and simply change the ciirciut board for the ones I am using that day,,,,, once the shock end caps are installed in the arrows for that paarticular bow. I have ruined one in 4 years, and that one went thru a doe standing in front of the river, a total pass thru put the arrow in about 8 to 12 feet of muddy water,,, I think it is well worth the price,, if 100% performance matters,,, concidering all the extra benefits only firenock is capable of.
....Wildcatter....I think you might cost me more money...I love gadgets for sure!

Anthony :oops: :?

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I don't know if it is only me....but reading all of the information on the Firenock Website seems like you need a PhD in Engineering.....With that said, being at the show and having someone show me how the system works....it is really not THAT complicated.....I would imagine it is not only the cost of the product, which scare people away, but people are just overwhelmed with the instructions which create more confusion than answer questions....at least this is how I see it.....I would never had bought this to try if not for being there and having someone show me....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings