Congrats on a nice bunch of Bacon.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
nchunterkw

Re: Pig Hunt 2017

Post by nchunterkw »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:After trying some mighty tasty wild pork recently that type of hunt is on my bucket list... :)
Definitely a fun time with lots of fast action. There are lots of places to go and lots of ways to hunt them. I'll be interested to see what these taste like. Not sure what they eat in FL, but I hear it's all good.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
WVCBH

Post by WVCBH »

What caliber AR....and what bullet grain?
Still lovin' my EXCALIBUR MICRO 355! :-)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

WVCBH wrote:What caliber AR....and what bullet grain?
I used Remington Hog Hammer ammo in .223 (64gr solid copper Barnes X bullet). Shot slightly under a 1 MOA group at 75 yds off the bench on my final 3 shots of sighting in before the trip. Put 3 down on the spot.

My AR is the Ruger SR556 Takedown, topped with a Vortex 1x4x22mm Crossbones II with the V Brite reticle. Pretty good setup, but I think next time I'll go with 300 Blackout. Since the AR is a takedown style, the barrel comes right out and is interchangeable with a 300 Blackout barrel. If using the iron sights, the front sight is attached to the barrel and is both windage and elevation adjustable. So you can zero each barrel with iron sights, and then swap barrels between calibers and be good to go. Obviously that wouldn't hold true with the scope, since it attaches to the lower.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Keith I'm not a big fan of the black out lots of other choices to look at for your Black Rifle
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
WVCBH

Post by WVCBH »

Awesome. The .223 is a great little round. We shoot a ton of it! Vortex makes great scopes. My favorite is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 50 that I have on my old Remington 700 BDL 22-250 Varmint Special. :-)
Viper.jpg
Boo

Post by Boo »

ArcheryAddict wrote:Good job and nice pigs. People give hogs a lot of crap but it's just hard to find a animal that are any more fun to hunt. It's one of my favorite trips every year, I can't get enough of the piggies!
Oh soooo true!
I haven't been hunted pigs for a bit and this thread is giving me the itch!
Nice thread Keith! Thank you!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo wrote:
ArcheryAddict wrote:Good job and nice pigs. People give hogs a lot of crap but it's just hard to find a animal that are any more fun to hunt. It's one of my favorite trips every year, I can't get enough of the piggies!
Oh soooo true!
I haven't been hunted pigs for a bit and this thread is giving me the itch!
Nice thread Keith! Thank you!
Thanks Don! You should plan a hunt. They are a fun animal to hunt for sure, and it ain't like there is a shortage of 'em !! :lol:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Buszone wrote:Keith I'm not a big fan of the black out lots of other choices to look at for your Black Rifle
I think Ruger only makes the 2 barrels for the Takedown. What do you not like about the 300 blackout? I'll admit I have not done a ton of research.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Keith , its slow and has the range of a 30-30 at best . Will the Ruger take a standard upper? I know my Bushmaster will take just about anything on the market, I have thought about getting a 308 or 243 upper for it., I just have it for fun and home protection 8) I would like to put a sound suppressor on it though :D maybe the next time you pig hunt Fred and I can make it.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Congrats on a great hunt Keith...
WVCBH

Post by WVCBH »

Buszone wrote:Keith , its slow and has the range of a 30-30 at best . Will the Ruger take a standard upper? I know my Bushmaster will take just about anything on the market, I have thought about getting a 308 or 243 upper for it., I just have it for fun and home protection 8) I would like to put a sound suppressor on it though :D maybe the next time you pig hunt Fred and I can make it.
A .308 upper wont fit on a AR15 lower. You'll need an AR10 lower.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

nchunterkw wrote:
WVCBH wrote:What caliber AR....and what bullet grain?
I used Remington Hog Hammer ammo in .223 (64gr solid copper Barnes X bullet). Shot slightly under a 1 MOA group at 75 yds off the bench on my final 3 shots of sighting in before the trip. Put 3 down on the spot.

My AR is the Ruger SR556 Takedown, topped with a Vortex 1x4x22mm Crossbones II with the V Brite reticle. Pretty good setup, but I think next time I'll go with 300 Blackout. Since the AR is a takedown style, the barrel comes right out and is interchangeable with a 300 Blackout barrel. If using the iron sights, the front sight is attached to the barrel and is both windage and elevation adjustable. So you can zero each barrel with iron sights, and then swap barrels between calibers and be good to go. Obviously that wouldn't hold true with the scope, since it attaches to the lower.
Sounds like a great time!! Congrats on the porkers!
I was about to ask what ammo you were shooting when I saw your answer. I haven't tried the Hog Hammer but I have become a fan of the Barnes copper bullets in general. I switched this year to the factory loaded Barnes Vor-Tx (the blue tipped ones) in both of my 308s, and I am very impressed with both the accuracy and terminal performance on deer. Looking to go to the Barnes in my other rifles for next season. They make it in 110 grains for 300AAC, that should be some pretty bad medicine for porkers out to about 150 yards. Congrats again on the fine hunt.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

[quote="KegbellySounds like a great time!! Congrats on the porkers!
I was about to ask what ammo you were shooting when I saw your answer. I haven't tried the Hog Hammer but I have become a fan of the Barnes copper bullets in general. I switched this year to the factory loaded Barnes Vor-Tx (the blue tipped ones) in both of my 308s, and I am very impressed with both the accuracy and terminal performance on deer. Looking to go to the Barnes in my other rifles for next season. They make it in 110 grains for 300AAC, that should be some pretty bad medicine for porkers out to about 150 yards. Congrats again on the fine hunt.[/quote]

Thanks Keg! It's been awhile! I have some "Boar Buster" ammo from Freedom Munitions as well that I think would work well. Had a few feeding problems that I didn't have time to figure out but I think it would do just as well as the Hog Hammer did. It's a Nosler BSB (bonded solid base) bullet. Soft lead point but solid back half of the bullet. Available in several calibers etc.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><