Shortening a Matrix stock

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michigan man

Shortening a Matrix stock

Post by michigan man »

Any ideals on how to shorten a Matrix stock by about an inch. Thanks
Micro 335, Leupold VX3 1.5X5, 16" BEE"S, Lumenok, 100 grain Swhacker, 100 grain Wac-Em
jefrohio

Re: Shortening a Matrix stock

Post by jefrohio »

Have you considered buying a sapphire or Cub stock, or trading with a member on this fourm for one? You may have to drill and tap your rail, not sure if the holes from the sapphire/Cub will Match the 355 matrix stock you're using now. I have shortened a Exomag stock. PM me I'll give you details/pics on how I did it. Jefro
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have cut down a couple. They are easy, glue back together well, and it's all pretty well straight forward. I can post some pics when I get home.
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

I cut an inch out of a micro stock for my wife. I took an inch out of the bottom rear of the stock and an inch out from under the cheek piece. I then drilled all pieces to insert pins. This is a little tricky, but what I did was glue the pin into one side and then oval or over size the other side and fill the hole with JB Weld and put JB Weld on the faces and clamp stock in a straight position for 8 hrs. Solid as a rock and very hard to see. I also glued the cheek piece on permanently because my wife will be the only one using this stock. I purchased a stock form Excalibur so that if I need this bow ( Which is my Backup ) I can just switch out the stock and hunt. Good Luck, If I can help you send me a PM, Dave
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
michigan man

Post by michigan man »

Shoebuck wrote:I cut an inch out of a micro stock for my wife. I took an inch out of the bottom rear of the stock and an inch out from under the cheek piece. I then drilled all pieces to insert pins. This is a little tricky, but what I did was glue the pin into one side and then oval or over size the other side and fill the hole with JB Weld and put JB Weld on the faces and clamp stock in a straight position for 8 hrs. Solid as a rock and very hard to see. I also glued the cheek piece on permanently because my wife will be the only one using this stock. I purchased a stock form Excalibur so that if I need this bow ( Which is my Backup ) I can just switch out the stock and hunt. Good Luck, If I can help you send me a PM, Dave
I like your ideal. A few questions, what did you use for the pins? Is the stock hollow or solid? Did you use a miter saw to make the cuts? Thanks
Micro 335, Leupold VX3 1.5X5, 16" BEE"S, Lumenok, 100 grain Swhacker, 100 grain Wac-Em
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

I used 3/16 screws for pins, just cut the length that you need and the thread will give the pin good bite. I made two U shaped blocks to clamp onto the stock to use as a guide to make parallel cuts. This is very important so that the two faces mate up when you put it all back together. The cut was made with a fine tooth hand saw with a backer on top of the blade. Dave
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

My son Colton is very small for his age, and I wanted his Micro to fit him better, so I got an older black stock from Danny Miller and cut it down. I cut about 1" out just in front of the butt plate, then glued butt plate back on with Acraglas. After it is hardened, you can shape it a bit( the butt will be too long now) and mask off a line about 3/8"- 1/2" in from butt plate. next I mixed Acraglas and Microballoons into a paste consistency and swept a radius at the glued joint. After this has dried, sand a bit and you are ready for paint. I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Spray to give it some texture so it wouldn't be slick. The texture also covers up any little imperfections you might have left when you filled the radius. They come out slick and look pretty nice. I liked his so well that I shortened my Matrix about 3/8" It now fits me a bit better.ImageImageImageImageImage

The material that the stocks are made from glues very well. It is a soft plastic that cuts easily, but will melt if a sanding wheel is used on it(dremel). This is a really easy project. I used tape for a clamp. Easy Peasy as a fellow forum member says.
Sorry it took me so long to get this all posted.
Normous

Post by Normous »

As always, nice workmanship Paul.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family