Boltcutter Review .. your opinion

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OldWolf

Boltcutter Review .. your opinion

Post by OldWolf »

Prior to purchasing my Boltcutter BH's I had read many reviews here and elsewhere. This one in particular just stuck with me and I felt compelled to comment. What's your opinion of this review ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B001344WP6
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC
steven in England

Re: Boltcutter Review .. your opinion

Post by steven in England »

I don't know about how they perform hunting with them. But, I have tested many different broadheads over the years and can tell you that I have not found a better flying fixed blade head than the boltcutter and it is also razor sharp. There are other fixed blade heads that can match its accuracy, but, not many.
For me the key to good broadhead flight is making sure the head does not wobble on the shaft, plenty of FOC and plenty of offset on the vanes. However, if helical is put on the vane, even better these heads will fly as good as field points.

I cannot understand why somebody would test a fixed blade head, relise it is flying badly and then think it would fly better when they shoot it at at an animal. The question has to be asked if people like this are responsible enough to hunt knowing there was a huge chance of wounding the animal.
Just my opinion
Steven
Steven in England
Normous

Post by Normous »

Without knowing the history and experience of the reviewer M Miller the I certainly don't believe every negative review posted on the internet.
Maybe he had a screw loose (on his M355) and wasn't aware of it, maybe he had a flinch problem, maybe he was a trigger jerk, who knows what the problem was prior to pulling the trigger, perhaps his shooting form was not very good, could he have had buck fever perhaps? With my past experience my gut feeling tells me his problem was not likely the broadhead that he used.

My neighbor who does not shoot much at all, groups his Boltcutter broadheads reasonably in a 3"- 4" circle at 25 yards out of his M380. In my hand that group shrinks to under 2".
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

In terms of the review you linked: That fellow should give his head a Very Firm Shake. From the range work he knew that there was an issue, yet chose to head out and hunt regardless? Zero Ethics there IMO.

As per Boltcutters, I will never use them again. Period.
Accurate enough, but damn poor blood trails and far too long for recoveries compared to the Spitfires I now use.

Obviously your mileage may vary... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

IronNoggin wrote:In terms of the review you linked: That fellow should give his head a Very Firm Shake. From the range work he knew that there was an issue, yet chose to head out and hunt regardless? Zero Ethics there IMO.

As per Boltcutters, I will never use them again. Period.
Accurate enough, but damn poor blood trails and far too long for recoveries compared to the Spitfires I now use.

Obviously your mileage may vary... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Matt, I don't shoot them but a good friend has or was. He too will be using a different head this year for the reasons you stated...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I have filled my tags every year for seven years with boltcutters. No lost animals, none went farther than 80 yards before plowing the dirt. 2 inch groups at 50 yards. They are very tough broadheads without a single blade broken even after plowing through gravel. I am trying g5 Montecs this year because I've read good things aboot them. If they don't work well I will be back to the cutters in a heart beat. :D The only thing that keeps them from being more popular is that they dont hit the same spot as field points.
Hank
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I love the boltcutter and have had success with it but the cabellas lazer strike 2 (nap made copy o ring spitfire ) and the spitfire that i use are night and day in the blood trail dept. In my thick south east pa woods i need a good blood trail and the spit n lazer strike deliver one that the boltcutter cant.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Got my first deer last year with a boltcutter. Shot them in comparison side by side with a 150 gr slick trick and the boltcutter grouped better out of my bow so that's what I went with.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR