Xbow poundage/pull

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sparkey

Xbow poundage/pull

Post by Sparkey »

So over the last two years I have at one time or another, owned a beavy of excalibur crossbows:

It started with my first xbow purchase: A Grizzly. I really loved the bow but found myself thinking that the composite stock/rail was not durable enough so sold it and bought a Micro 335. That bow, compared to the Grizzly was a beast to cock, but it sure felt awesome, balance wise. Of course, hunting with it would be fine, but I soon found that cocking that mother 40 or 50 times a day target shooting took most of the fun out of shooting. So, I traded it for a matrix 355. That was nice too, but something felt wrong so I sold that one, then saw the MOTS 350SE and fell in love. Well, love at first sight is often fleeting.

Actually, I still love that bow, but my back just can't handle excessive cocking of the bow. Sadly, for me, but good for a member here, I sold that one this past weekend.

So here I sit, Turkey hunting is a month out and I had planned on poppin a Tom with a xbow. Unfortunately a crossbow is something I currently do not have. (my wife has a Parker Challenger which is a dream to cock) Does anyone here with lower back issues shoot a micro 315 ? How does that compare to the 350se as far as cocking it with the shorter pull? I really REALLY love the excal recurve simplicity, but I am starting to think a wheel bow is in my future.

PS: Not fond of cranks, they are annoying and in the way, so what is a guy to do?
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
BrotherRon

Re: Xbow poundage/pull

Post by BrotherRon »

I have had lower back surgery and really enjoy shooting my Matrix 310 all afternoon without any problems. I also purchased an extra riser and some blemished limbs so that I can have a little more zip for hunting with a 330 ;)
Most people wouldn't have a problem with the 330, but with my back I can't cock it all afternoon target shooting.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Get a crank bro. I too deal with lower back issues, I've got a 350 and can cock it with the rope but I choose to save my back and use the crank the majority of the time.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

I have had several back surgeries and I have nerve damage in my lower spine and left leg. I have been happy with your first bow .. the Grizzly. I just use the rope cocker .. no need for a crank. JMO
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC
SEW

Post by SEW »

Arrowflinger wrote:Get a crank bro. ...... but I choose to save my back and use the crank the majority of the time.
I'm 69y10mo old. Own a M380,400,405 with original limb mounting. Can cock all of them w/o problem. But I don't . Why? To preserve my back. So, I almost always use the C-2. A nuisance ? Some, but not as bad as preventable back problems. The crossbow injuries (back) are worse than vbow injuries(shoulders). The C-2 is a good idea, IMO.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I have the Micro 315. It's a bit stiff but it's a short power stroke. I have had some lower back issues as well. Currently my back is good and I'm back at the gym 5 days a week to keep it that way...:)

I would recommend trying the 315 before you buy it. its got plenty of power to get the job done in a nice compact size...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I posted a thread on here this month of the Micro 335 Hybrid i made. What a beautiful cockin n shootin crossbow that has the power to kill deer at 30 yds. I took my Matrix limbs n put on my micro 335. I can actually cock it one armed. Pulls like the old model 150lb vixen's. So if'en you purchase anudder used 335 Micro n put a set of blemished Matrix limbs on it. You will be overjoyed
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Thanks for the advice.

I am down to a Grz2 (like the look of the feather lite stock) or the Parker Enforcer wheel bow.

What quality is the fixed power scope on the Grz2 ?
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You can swap out the matrix limbs n put yer Micro limbs back on to sight in n hunt wid. I have already shot my hybrid over 100 times in past 10 days. I have enuff strickly Huntin models i won't change it back. I will hunt wid this pipsqueak :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

So your sayin that I could put a set of micro blems on my Grz2 for huntin, then put the matrix limbs on for target/recreational shooting ?

If so, I think I am sold!
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I went with the Grizzly because of my back and leg. I can target shoot with it, hunt with it and it's not too much on my back and that's using the rope cocker. I haven't had the chance to chrono it yet but ThackMan says his is at 280 fps. So I should be around there.
Just 15 years ago my Matthews Q2 (with a 68 lb draw weight) was getting 268 fps and that took many deer. Now think back even further when the max fps might have been 200 and less.
My point is I wouldn't get caught up with the speed because thousands of deer have been taken with, by today's standards, very slow bows and crossbows. Now if you are doing long range 3D shoots then yes the faster bows have an advantage. Again this is just my opinion.
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC
SEW

Post by SEW »

From the 80's : PSE Foxfire #125 -225'/sec, Foxfire 11 -#150-250'/sec, Bear/Jennings Devastator #150 -250'/sec, PSE Flashfire below 225'/sec, Barnet Wildcat/Wildcat 2 - appx 180'/sec.
I've killed deer with all except the Barnett Wildcat 2. It was impossibly inaccurate. JUNK! Never hunted with it.
Using a Ranging 1000 or a Spectrum 500 (mechanical, analog rangefinders ) , allowed an effective range of 50 yards using a 4 pinned front/peep rear sight.
So, today with 300+ '/sec , range and power just aren't problems.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sparkey wrote:So your sayin that I could put a set of micro blems on my Grz2 for huntin, then put the matrix limbs on for target/recreational shooting ?

If so, I think I am sold!
Pg 2 Pipsqueak Micro go read n look please
No yer misunderstood me. I said you can take a micro n put Matrix limbs on it. It will give about a 135-150 lb draw. Its so easy to cock n shoot, plus its compact .
Half Bubble Off BD360

schott

Post by schott »

get a crank and buy what ever bow you want to why do people make everything so difficult. you just sold your 350se and now you want to buy some new bow, then be swapping limbs :(
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Sparkey wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I am down to a Grz2 (like the look of the feather lite stock) or the Parker Enforcer wheel bow.

What quality is the fixed power scope on the Grz2 ?
Here ya go, Parker Enforcer 315 ft sec,,, Nib $440.00 includes shipping