Excalibur's core four

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ldz
Location: CT ( probably the worst state to be a xbow enthusiast )

Excalibur's core four

Post by Ldz »

There is a thread in the TP about the value of the older excal models. I posted about how I am surprised at the low demand for these. Not necessarily these carved tip examples because although most of them can still hold their own, they are usually delegated to collector status, but the later mag tip versions and forth coming models after them.

I know there are a group that still appreciates them and even still hunts with them but the fact that the only 36" bow in the current line is the apex says that the majority leans toward the smaller more powerful bows. But this for the minority that appreciates the simple elegance of a hand crafted bow that was just powerful enough to get the job done. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the newer models and feel there is a place for them but with a gun to my head and could only grab one.....it would be one of these.

I believe this is the earliest version of the Exo line that came after the wood stock Excals ( the two gens of Relayers and the Wolverine )and what made up of the entire Excalibur line for at least a decade. Maybe more. I'm still learning a lot about these. Maybe others can shed some light. Like what year was the Exo line released? And did it compose of these four models initially or did they appear gradually ? Was the Wolverine offered along with these ever or it a clean switch?
I have to thank a lot of you guys for helping me gather this group. I couldn't have done it without your help. The three Exo I think are the first gen because of the stirups. The next gen had the wider kind. That was the only difference I believe. I think these ran right up to 2000 when the mag tip was implemented and they still were offered some right up to a year or so ago but I think the Exomax came around 04/03 and replaced the Exomag. I hope to hear some input on and help to fill out the time line. Especially the earlier line ups. And the camo that was offered. The Point Blanc was definitely one of the core four but I am cheating with the one pictured. It is a CT example but it does not have a cast riser. I'm still on the hunt for one of those but very happy to have this one.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (33.3 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Ldz

Re: Excalibur's core four

Post by Ldz »

I wish I could post better quality pics. After resizing they look like crap. I tried pb but with no luck. If there's a better way please advise.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.94 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.13 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.52 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Ldz

Post by Ldz »

Two more.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I wasnt around for the carved tips but i really love my long limbed vixen ll and my metal rail ibex ...very smooth the little extra width dont bother me.thanks for the pics.l dont think any bow shoots as smooth as a vixen ll with a nice trigger tec trigger !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Ldz

Post by Ldz »

I guess I'll answer my own question. I know I have read this before but had forgotten about it. Just happened to stumble on it tonight. From the FAQ'S

What model crossbows did Excalibur make in the past?
The first model was the Relayer which I made virtually by hand and every one was an individual. It was made from 83 to 85 and used Daco fiberglass limbs. In 85 Daco went broke and Kath and I had to sink or swim on our own, so we spent the family fortune($1.85) and developed what remains the best darn limb system for crossbows in the world. A bit of luck, and a lot of hard work. From 85 till 92 we made a model called the Wolverine, which had a wooden stock that in most cases was camouflaged. In 92 we finally had scraped up enough business to afford the tooling for the Exo series and wooden stocks went to sleep with the Dodo birds.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have to agree with the fact that these bows don't bring the kind of $ that they are worth, or should bring. They are much more bow than what it costs to buy one. I have bought a couple this past year just because they were "TOO CHEAP"! It is a shame because they are all sweet shooters, easier to cock ,and have enough power to kill anything you might be hunting. The wide limbs for me were never a problem hunting, but were sometimes a pain getting in the truck or house. They don't hunt wide. just a thought.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

To answer a couple of yer ?'s, in 92 They came out wid the 1st Exocet n it had a side safety. In 95 they made the 1st carved tip limbed Vixen's it had the rear safety as did the Exocet 165 n the Exomag 185. Mag tips came in 2000 n in 2001 the Paradox n Match points Compounds came. Then in 2005 The Exomax wid Forward Riser n the Phoenix became a model
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I follow the collected car market as well as owning a couple and I would say these xbows are the same. What I mean by this, is everyone wants the latest unit and the predecessor get pushed aside losing value, then the next model begins it's introduction. All of the sudden the first model has been put aside and almost forgotten about and become desirable, because they can no longer be bought, so they begin to appreciate in value. Some will have more value then others for various reasons. I honestly think the preMatrix series is in that state of limbo for value. There are too many being put down to be replaced for newer models, that easily out perform them in many respects. I believe their time will come agin to shine, it's just not now.

IMO the Matrix and Micro were released way to close together and competed against themselves reducing sales significantly. The Matrix was all the rave and hadn't even began to cool off, before the Micro was introduced. With the following Excalibur has, it would have been beneficial to wait for sales to. Begin dropping off before introducing the Micro to sales stronger and interest longer.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

I try to get the Wolverine out a couple of times a year. It's more fun doing rounds of 3D targets, being easier to cock and easier to remove the arrows from target.

Bow was bought new in Sept. 1987. It's starting showing its age, the out of view limb has very little of the original lettering left on it. I picked up a spare set of carved limbs when the transition was being made to the mag tips, they are still sitting unused in my gun cabinet. In the picture you can see the only modification I did, in 2010 I put on one of Boo's custom Flemish strings (Dacron). It was my only bow for 22 years until I bought the Exocet 200 in 2009.
Memories are worth more than anyone would offer. The only bow I've Robin Hooded with, the heart thumping close encounters, Lynx less than an arrow's length from the end of the bow, the big deer with no shot opportunities, couple cow moose at 7 & 12 yards and no cow tags to mention a couple.

I've been waiting for the weather to warm up to get out and shoot the Wolverine and Suppressor so I can say which is my quietest bow :lol: . Want to get a picture of the Wolverine and Suppressor together to show the advances in Excalibur crossbow technology over the past 30 years.

Czy_Horse