Recurve shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RexKay

Recurve shooting

Post by RexKay »

Took a spin up to the cabin yesterday. Real nice for this time of year. Brought out the 45lb Hoyt Gamemaster and my 72 beater Grayling Grizzly and some aluminum 2216s helical barred 4 in feathered arrows along. Been a while but, shot each bow about 25 times. Shooting at paper plate 10 and 20 yds. Felt good to get out,and even string slapped the forearm once. Ouch. Left a mark. Shot surprisingly well.. love that instinct shooting. Using the old worn leather finger tab. :D Fun stuff
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
bdog

Re: Recurve shooting

Post by bdog »

RexKay wrote:Took a spin up to the cabin yesterday. Real nice for this time of year. Brought out the 45lb Hoyt Gamemaster and my 72 beater Grayling Grizzly and some aluminum 2216s helical barred 4 in feathered arrows along. Been a while but, shot each bow about 25 times. Shooting at paper plate 10 and 20 yds. Felt good to get out,and even string slapped the forearm once. Ouch. Left a mark. Shot surprisingly well.. love that instinct shooting. Using the old worn leather finger tab. :D Fun stuff
shooting stick n string is very rewarding n relaxin, long bow, recurve, home made self bows from the ole asage orange trees, fun.... I still have a few graylings n my black widows when ken beck owned the company
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sometimes stepping back in time is real nice indeed. I shot an old stick bow years ago, but never got good enough to feel confident in hunting with it, I envy those that do.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ive enjoyed my longbows for many years and never regreated any of it being lucky enough to harvest a ton a deer.lts amazing how some days your so in the zone and cant miss and some days you just are not. I originally bought a crossbow only for turkey because gun hunting them got too easy and l could shoot from a blind. I had an incident were l had shot a big 180 inch buck with my longbow ...a buck of a lifetime the shot only took out one lung and a friend of mine harvested the buck a day later moving about im glad he got the buck but it kind of steered me to the more predictable crossbow for now im enjoying the crossbow but i still shoot the longbow regularly to keep the thing going. Traditional archery is a lot of fun.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
WVCBH

Post by WVCBH »

I love my old recurves. I still have my Wing Red Wing Hunter that my parents gave me for Christmas, 43 years ago. :) I've taken several deer with the old Bear Kodiak Magnum
recurves.jpg
Still lovin' my EXCALIBUR MICRO 355! :-)
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ohh now were dating ourselves ...l got a cravata bros. Blackhawk l think was made in pa . 52 inch 43 pounds 41 christmas 's ago . Bears were too expensive for my parents. I shot the living. Sh $ $t out of that little bow 1 spike and 4 doe and about 50 ground hogs lol.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

longbow joe wrote:lts amazing how some days your so in the zone and cant miss and some days you just are not.
All I used was longbows and recurves for many years. I usually shot them at least 4-5 evenings every week, and a lot of that practice was just "roving" the land I hunted on. Some days a golf ball sized target (brightly colored leaf for example) was "dead" at 40 yards, and some days a bowling ball sized target was safe at 20 yards. :lol:
Sadly, bone spurs in my left shoulder quickly took that way of hunting away from me. :(

Took me a few years to get the hang of hunting with a crossbow (the necessity of exact ranging for accuracy really limits the opportunities), but once I settled on the method of planting my butt in a stand or blind and letting the game come to me my success ratio went up.
Still miss the still hunting and roving, though. But with my back/hip problems of the past few years I guess the sit & wait method was inevitable. :roll:
wabi
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thats my problem wabi ive been shooting longbows so long never had to worry about yardages ...there was close and far i just looked and shot . My 355 is fairly flat shooting and compensates for error . But my vixen has to be more on the money. Ive been just walking the dog out the woods ranging things maby some day ill get better theres times when you just dont have time to range.