Bear Problem solution

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

Bear Problem solution

Post by ThunderXB »

Last archery season my deer stands were terrorized by 2 big bears for weeks on end.

Same for the last couple years.

This year is going to be different!! :shock:

I just drew a WI bear kill permit (a year or two sooner than I thought).

Fatty McFat the bear is gonna die!!! :twisted:
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Boo

Re: Bear Problem solution

Post by Boo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Good news for sure! :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Go and get him!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Large size him!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

That is just Mean! What would Smokey Do? :cry:
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

mreyner wrote:That is just Mean! What would Smokey Do? :cry:

Well, if "Smokey" is the name of Fatty McFats 300 lbs+ buddy, what he may be doing is turning into a rug!! :D
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Here's a couple pics of Fatty McFat:

Minnow

Post by Minnow »

He looks delicious!! :mrgreen:
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender

Post by newbie »

Thats a tasty solution :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Nice size bear..This year in pa they are allowing bear archery in last week of deer rut..We have bears all over I saw 3 in gun season 300 plus ....

2 crews got 31 this season and 39 last season for 1 week biggest was 545 cleaned ....
SEW

Post by SEW »

Rich,
Serious advice: use a broadhead that will easily penetrate. I've killed 3 bear in my life. 1 with Xbow, 2 with vbow. All with fixed BHs (2 Thunderheads, 1 Xbow Trick). While many have criticized my shot at the huge bear this year, and I understand their thoughts; yet, I knew I could make it and did, the problem was broadhead choice. My FOC broadhead on a 486 grain arrow with a 92g insert/170g FOC had extreme momentum and tons of FOC. At 57 yards, it still had over 100 ft-lbs of energy. Yet, the FOC only penetrated the neck 1 -1 1/2". The dental elastic was only 1" up from the insert with a lot of black hair under it. The bear was back in 5 days at the bait!!
The Thunderheads and Xbow Trick went thru the bear like going thru butter.
Some think that more sloping fixed blades like the Wasp XLS penetrate better than the much less sloping broadheads like the Grizz Tricks (45 degree slope). I expect they are right.
Next year, I'll still be at the same blind, same bait barrel, same BD 400, same arrow (92g insert, 20" ST, Blazers, this time Lumenoks, and a mean, sloping fixed blade broadhead), and only make a broadside, low chest shot.
I'm virtually sure a # of Expandibles would work very well on bear; however, I'm positive a great, mean fixed BH will work, again.
Just some thoughts.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I love the xbow as much as most on here and like the idea of hunting them with my excal but if this is a problem bear than in my mind that means tilting the odds as much in your favour as possible. To do that I'd be relying on a rifle and specifically my 35 Whelen.

Not sure if a rifle is a legal option in your jurisdiction but that would be my first choice if legal. No worries about range or wind (still need to have the wind to your advantage just don't have to worry about a bolt planing). Shot angles are a lot more flexible as well if you use the right caliber matched with good ammo.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Species8472 wrote:I love the xbow as much as most on here and like the idea of hunting them with my excal but if this is a problem bear than in my mind that means tilting the odds as much in your favour as possible. To do that I'd be relying on a rifle and specifically my 35 Whelen.

Not sure if a rifle is a legal option in your jurisdiction but that would be my first choice if legal. No worries about range or wind (still need to have the wind to your advantage just don't have to worry about a bolt planing). Shot angles are a lot more flexible as well if you use the right caliber matched with good ammo.
Give me a break !!! No reason a bow or crossbow shouldn't be used on hunting this bear..
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

rein1 wrote:
Species8472 wrote:I love the xbow as much as most on here and like the idea of hunting them with my excal but if this is a problem bear than in my mind that means tilting the odds as much in your favour as possible. To do that I'd be relying on a rifle and specifically my 35 Whelen.

Give me a break !!! No reason a bow or crossbow shouldn't be used on hunting this bear..
I have no problem bear hunting with a crossbow or vertical bow but the fact remains if it is a problem bear and you want to maximize your opportunity than a rifle will always give you more options.

It just depends what your primary goal is. If it is to take a bear with a bow than by all means have at it. If it is to kill a problem bear that has been interfering with your deer hunts for years on end than i would chose the rifle (when legal) to maximize my chances.
Last edited by Species8472 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend