Fixed vs Expandible Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Fixed vs Expandible Broadheads

Post by SEW »

This will possibly be a new approach to this wornout subject. Expandibles are very reliable from my experience of 80-90 deer killed with them. With vbows , they seem to steer less and hit closer to a fp. They can cut devastating holes. With adequate precautions, premature opening is not a problem.
I think the stiffness of a Xbow arrow allows many fixed blades to shoot as accurately as expandibles and can be indexed to hit with field points. Actually, I'm finding that with xbows, expandibles (FOC, 2" Schwackers, Spitfires) haven't given me any advantages. I've had pass thru problems even on deer with FOCs.
I've switched to Xbow Tricks(175g, I have 6 packs of these discontinued versions: now 150g)/26g insert with my M380. 396 total wt arrow. Grizz Tricks for 400&405, 125g , 4-blade 1 1/4" cut - BIG hole! Using 92g insert. 435g arrow with Lumenoks. And 125g Wasp XLS with Solution and cheap, factory arrows that group 1" @ 75 yds. Don't fix what's not broken.
I've tested the accuracy of all these fixed combinations against same arrows and same weight expandibles to 75yds(380,Solution - XB75s) and 100 yds(400,405 - Optimizers/ Duralyts).
This entire discourse is not a recommendation at all; rather, a sharing that I didn't find expandibles to have the same advantages with xbows that I found them to have with vbows.
nchunterkw

Re: Fixed vs Expandible Broadheads

Post by nchunterkw »

I think one thing to also keep in mind with expandibles too, is how our high poundage recurve bows launch an arrow.....with a VERY abrupt instant acceleration. A compound bow is not sitting at the top of the energy curve when cocked. But a recurve is. So the instantaneous acceleration in much higher.

Why does this matter? As SEW said, they can be reliable if the proper precautions are taken to avoid premature opening. This high acceleration is more likely to cause premature opening out of a high poundage recurve crossbow than out of any other bow. So what may have worked on a vbow or compound crossbow, may still open prematurely out of your Excal, without extra precautions.

Something to think about if you use expandibles, I think...
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

Good information. I remember reading somewhere that the fps was a way to judge if you should use fixed or expandibles. The theory went 350 fps and below fixed was fine. Above 350 fps expandibles were better ... if I remember correctly.
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

People should worry more about shot placement because every broadhead fixed or not is lethal.
Square_hammer

Post by Square_hammer »

^^^^^^^ nailed it
Matrix 330
Vortex diamondback 2-7
hha optimizer
8pntbuck string
16.5" zombies with 92gr insert
QAD exodus 125gn
G5 Striker 125gn
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

Shot placement is the most important thing. That's why we practice with broadheads to make sure we are as accurate as possible. Heck I bought my xbow this year and could have went out in the field this season. I decided against it. I felt I needed to know all the in's and out's about my bow first. I quieted the bow down as much as possible. I know I can change out the string in the field. I've been practicing as often as I can. At this point I know I'm accurate out to 40 yards with the broadhead. So my set limit is 40 yards.
So I missed out on a few months of hunting. I have all next season ! :D
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC