Do you worry about leaving your recurve cocked for extended

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Smong2000

Do you worry about leaving your recurve cocked for extended

Post by Smong2000 »

I am about ready to buy a Micro 355 but have a few reservations. Now have a wheeled crossbow and there is a lot of let off when it's cocked so I don't think much about leaving it cocked everyday dark till dark for several months. Yes, I do let it down at night because it's not legal to transport it cocked.
What concerns me is leaving a recurve fully stressed for such long periods across changes in temperature and such. Do you hear about bows failing while cocked or short lifetime for limbs when used like that? Please ease my mind, I keep picturing my bow exploding in my lap when the sun hits it on a cold morning...
vixenmaster

Re: Do you worry about leaving your recurve cocked for exten

Post by vixenmaster »

I am the wrong person to answer this but, it should do well all day from sun up to sun down every day. Other members may have abit diff opinion on the Micro 355
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

No one can give you that answer. Is it possible? ....absolutely! That's also true for every other bow in the lineup with the possibility diminishing with lower poundage models. However, if you're concerned simply leave your bow cocked at home, somewhere safe, for a week or so during the off season. Or cock it at dinner and leave it until you leave for work in the morning and do it for a couple months. You see where I'm going. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

If you do a search you will find members here leaving their Excalibur crossbows cocked in the freezer for a week then shot repeatedly without issue. I have left mine cocked in the field for several days at a time in various temperatures without concern. Leaving your limbs in extended extreme heat may cause failure.

An explosion is not possible because an explosion is a rapid increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner, usually with the generation of high temperatures and the release of gases. You fiberglass limbs are not subject to this event.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Every time I put a new string on I leave bow cocked 2-3 weeks. Never had an issue.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Once you get your string shot in, and all the stretch out, you will be fine. Extreme heat is the killer, not temperatures in the 70's or less which are typical in the early season. If going from dark to dark, you'll be fine.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEW

Post by SEW »

Are you concerned about the limb stress or the stress on your serving? Why do I ask? Because, if your cocking wt is #280, then your string latches have #280 pounds against the serving. If you have a #150 compound with 80% letoff, then the latches are only holding 30 pounds.
Concerning limbs, I think that if you have a compound Xbow and a recurve Xbow each with the same speed with the same weight arrow, the limb stress at full cock should be about the same.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I have left my 335 cocked for a month without any problems
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

This is a link to an Excalibur advertisement on the subject.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/videos/player/494

I personally will leave any of one my bows for 3 or 4 days cocked to stretch out a new string. I've started doing this almost 30 years ago with my Wolverine. If I was going to do a round of 3D targets with my Wolverine this weekend, I'd put the string on it Wednesday night cock the bow and leave until Saturday morning, adjust the brace height and off I'd go.

Czy_Horse
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Great info, thanks guys you are making me feel better about it. I totally missed out on the concept of limbs having same stress whether 280 lbs is 'let off' by cams or not and that makes the point irrelevant I guess.