OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post Reply
User avatar
mreyner
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:55 pm
Location: Lenox Iowa

OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by mreyner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:36 am

How far do you have arrow(bolt) sticking past riser?

User avatar
Doe Master
Site Admin
Posts: 4537
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:57 am
Location: Baden , Ontario

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by Doe Master » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 am

I prefer to have it in the window of the stirrup . No surprises when you uncock then . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus

newbie
Posts: 2799
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:02 pm
Location: Brantford Ontario

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by newbie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:10 pm

yup.... as long as its not out beyond the end of the stirrup. PIA if it hangs beyond it.

sproulman
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: PA WILDS AREA

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by sproulman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 pm

I know very little only what I have learned here...I happen to to go shoot at camp this fall with 18 members who have crossbows...MOST all have 18 inch arrows in their crossbows...Few of us have 16 and 1/2 in our micros..

I noticed the others with 18 inch arrows and heavy points like 125 gr shot better at 65 yards than we that had 16 and 1/2 inch arrows with 100 gr points...

all had factory scopes nothing great on scopes...most had gt arrows i and my brother were only ones with Zombie arrows...

but we shot great at 30 yards ...

paulaboutform
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by paulaboutform » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:33 pm

I want my arrows as long as possible without sticking out past the stirrup with a broadhead attached.

Paul

User avatar
robertyb
Posts: 2538
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by robertyb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:35 pm

paulaboutform wrote:I want my arrows as long as possible without sticking out past the stirrup with a broadhead attached.

Paul

Amen!!
Wildlife Population Control Specialist

xcaliber
Posts: 10453
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by xcaliber » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Yep.
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage Trigger
Matrix 380 (Max) Redfield Revenge / TT Single Stage Trigger
Axe 340 Kryptek (Axe) Nikon P3 Will be completed 8-31-19

User avatar
Hunter3D
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Slovakia, Europe

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by Hunter3D » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:26 am

On older EXOMAX model the 20" bolts are just enough long and here comfortably also the longer 22" could be used, so I think on M380/405 this will be similar with 20" arrows. Disadvantage of longer bolts could the bending during shot comparing to shorter ones

I am more curious if a matching spin for Xbow arrows has same importance as for arrows at vertical bows. Easton has a matching spin table for arrows to bows poundage but I did not found any similar table for Xbows.
Exocet 200 tuned (wood stock)

paulaboutform
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by paulaboutform » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:37 am

Hunter3D wrote:On older EXOMAX model the 20" bolts are just enough long and here comfortably also the longer 22" could be used, so I think on M380/405 this will be similar with 20" arrows. Disadvantage of longer bolts could the bending during shot comparing to shorter ones

I am more curious if a matching spin for Xbow arrows has same importance as for arrows at vertical bows. Easton has a matching spin table for arrows to bows poundage but I did not found any similar table for Xbows.
Because crossbow arrows are so much shorter than vertical bows arrows you want to stabilize the arrow as quickly as possible. You also want an extremely high FOC and extreme helical on your fletching. This becomes more critical as soon as you're shooting fixed blade broadheads. With compounds you need to spine match your arrows according to arrow length and draw weight. Recurve limb crossbows require as stiff a spine as possible. This is why the vast majority here shoot either Black Eagle Zombie Slayers or Executioners.

Paul

sproulman
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: PA WILDS AREA

Re: OPINION? ARROW LENGTH

Post by sproulman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:08 pm

paulaboutform wrote:
Hunter3D wrote:On older EXOMAX model the 20" bolts are just enough long and here comfortably also the longer 22" could be used, so I think on M380/405 this will be similar with 20" arrows. Disadvantage of longer bolts could the bending during shot comparing to shorter ones

I am more curious if a matching spin for Xbow arrows has same importance as for arrows at vertical bows. Easton has a matching spin table for arrows to bows poundage but I did not found any similar table for Xbows.
Because crossbow arrows are so much shorter than vertical bows arrows you want to stabilize the arrow as quickly as possible. You also want an extremely high FOC and extreme helical on your fletching. This becomes more critical as soon as you're shooting fixed blade broadheads. With compounds you need to spine match your arrows according to arrow length and draw weight. Recurve limb crossbows require as stiff a spine as possible. This is why the vast majority here shoot either Black Eagle Zombie Slayers or Executioners.

Paul
Paul. You are correct..When I got my 2 micro 335 I had arrows GT made in 18 inch length ..They did not shoot well at all at 30 yards ..I went to Zombie in 16 and 1/2 length and groups were real tight at 30 yards...You could really see difference and no difference from .003/001 in Zombie in groups ....

So stiffer arrow did work better in my micros..

Post Reply