Why does most justify a crossbow with an injury??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

figam

Re: Why does most justify a crossbow with an injury??

Post by figam »

One reason may be that most states did not treat crossbows as they are doing today. Relatively recent changes in the laws are allowing hunters to use them where in the past they couldn't.
Steve Gardner
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I started shooting one when I first got out of the Navy . Dad had always shot compounds and recurves . I wanted something different and quite simply it was fun to shoot .
Another reason we all shoot the crossbow . Is later on in the season when we are bundled up like the Michelin tire man you do not have to worry about hitting your arm with the string . :shock:
I play with my compound , I hunt with my crossbow .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I had rotator cup surgery in 02, had to sit the 03 season out. Georgia made them legal in 04 and I haven't looked back.
Could care less what people think. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thanks for bringing this up Davis. I see it way too often and it's like telling all of us that they have joined the troops of cripples. It frosts me but like my late great friend constantly told me, take the high road.
Why do they say that? Because they know squat about crossbows and hunting with crossbows. They have yet to be converted and funny enough, the person who will really convert them will be themselves. :mrgreen:
This thread should be a sticky!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Excellent subject. I have to agree with you even though I only started shooting a crossbow because of a torn supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons in my left shoulder. I had no interest in crossbows AT ALL. Thank goodness for that injury (from which I've fully recovered). I had a hog hunt planned and couldn't hold my compound. I dusted off the Exomax I'd bought from a friend years prior and zeroed it in. Well, as soon as I shot my first pig it was like crack for hunters.I was hooked and have possibly become a little obsessed. :oops: I make no excuses and back down from no one. I enjoy my crossbows and that's all the info anyone needs. I really do miss my compounds for all the years I spent competing and traveling around the country with friends, hunting and 3D shooting. Now, my time is limited and very precious so I look forward to a few hunting days for my season and a few Boofest days with dear friends in the summer. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I'm in my 40's. I hunt with crossbow because I want to and they are cool as h---. If I pick up my compound on a particular day it's because that's what I'm in the mood for. Does one stop at only one rifle? Maybe i shoot crossbow mostly because I can't stand to be among those who would look down on them.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
davis131

Post by davis131 »

I do know it feels like more of US thing,The past couple years going to TX hog hunting an sharing the camp with some guys from Canada,there was never no I;m shooting this crossbow because of this or that,it seems to be more of the weapon of choice ,but again this year sharing camp with some guys from the states,i'm only hunting with it because of a problem but I'd bet my last paycheck that even after the injury heals up the crossbow don't go away..
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Well I first seen my first Excal in Canada many years ago on a fishing trip. I looked at it and had in my hands. I thought it was pretty neat and said to myself I would never own because it was to easy. So for many years later I still was shooting my compound. As time went on and my age started to catch up to me I started to have back and shoulder problems, but I still kept shooting the compound and with pain on occasion I started to see my shots not hitting the target as before and after a few long tracking adventures I thought I would look into a crossbow. Well Pa opened up with not needing a Doctors note. Plus a couple friends picked up an Excal Vortex and I tried it and said this is for me. I did not need any surgery for my back and shoulder but I still have issues sometime. The bottom line is I love the Excaliburs and I own two the Vortex and the Micro 335. I still take the compound out once and awhile but I just love shooting the excals. Plus all my friends I hunt with but two hunt with a crossbows.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Almost 21 yrs ago i became disabled, so i got my permit as crossbows were not legal to use in archery season. Lots of ppl. are not open minded, so they will always be bitchin cause we use n hunt wid crossbows
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
med1pilot

Post by med1pilot »

Yeah, I was one of those. I didn't begrudge anyone who used a crossbow, because back when I was hunting regularly with a compound, in my state you had to have a Doctors permission to hunt with one. A few years ago, it became legal for anyone to use one in our state, but I liked my compound and didn't give it any thought. After not bow hunting for over fifteen years (work, relocation, available hunting land, etc.) I was ready to start again. What I found out, much to my disappointment, is arthritis had settled in my shoulder and made it nearly impossible to pull and hold a compound anymore. So, now that I have my own farm to hunt, if I want to sling arrows, I need to go crossbow. Like a lot of folks have been saying, I have discovered how much fun they are. So, now I can start hunting during bow season again this coming year, and still have a blast shooting throughout the rest of the year with my new purchase. To some of the die hard vertical bow shooters, crossbows are considered cheating. There are purists in any sport. Some who prefer black powder, think modern firearms with high powered optics is cheating. Some who use recurve verticals think the same of compound shooters, etc, etc. To each his own, shoot what you love, be a good and ethical sportsman, and share the word with those who aren't aware. I know I am going to be an enthusiastic supporter of horizontal shooting to anyone who will listen. :D
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

Well....my situation was completely different. In my day, crossbows were considered firearms so might as well buy a firearm and get it over with. Eventually, archery became more popular and there was even a season for those that just used archery equipment. I was working during that era and didn't have the vacation time to be able to go archery hunting and then hunting with firearms. A few years ago, crossbows were no longer classified as firearms and they were even allowed to be used during the archery season. I retired and had lots of time to hunt so why not jump on the bandwagon and have an extra couple of weeks of hunting. If it were not for the fact that my moose hunting is in an area that is wide open. There are lots of moose but it's rare to see them close enough to shoot with a crossbow so I do my crossbow hunting in a place where the moose may come up close yet not far from the place where I use a rifle to hunt moose. During the rifle season, a buddy of mine takes over my crossbow area and I move to my rifle area. The fact that I hunt in his area during the crossbow hunt keeps away any other hunters who plan to hunt the rifle season in his place. He works and can't always be present in his territory. The rifle season for moose lasts almost 4 weeks where we hunt. The archery season lasts 2 weeks. There is a 5 day no hunting period between the 2 seasons.
Vortex
schott

Post by schott »

I'm old enough to remember when there was a big stink about legalizing compound bows in Pennsylvania, shot a compound for years and no matter what i did when practicing I would always get a few flyers, and then spend a forever getting it to shoot once I switched over to Broadheads.i just think there more accurate for most people and that gives you more confidence, plus I think it makes it a little easier to shoot a deer while on the ground for those who don't like climbing trees anymore
Tom

Post by Tom »

Well, when I was a teenager (before Excalibur was around), my dad injured his shoulder and bought a crossbow. I shot and enjoyed his crossbow. When I turned 18, I dislocated my shoulder and it will dislocate easily if I try to hold a bow at full draw.

Lucky for me, Ontario allowed me to choose a crossbow. I can safely shoot a crossbow, not a vertical bow, so that is my choice today. I chose the crossbow because I had to, to keep archery hunting. But before that, my vertical bow was my only bow because I could only afford one bow.

I have shot crossbows for almost 40 years.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

dabluz wrote: If it were not for the fact that my moose hunting is in an area that is wide open. There are lots of moose but it's rare to see them close enough to shoot with a crossbow so I do my crossbow hunting in a place where the moose may come up close yet not far from the place where I use a rifle to hunt moose. During the rifle season, a buddy of mine takes over my crossbow area and I move to my rifle area. The fact that I hunt in his area during the crossbow hunt keeps away any other hunters who plan to hunt the rifle season in his place. He works and can't always be present in his territory. The rifle season for moose lasts almost 4 weeks where we hunt. The archery season lasts 2 weeks. There is a 5 day no hunting period between the 2 seasons.
Off subject, but I thought you can't hunt moose with crossbow in Quebec?
Last edited by Fazan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Sorry, double post.