Why does most justify a crossbow with an injury??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Why does most justify a crossbow with an injury??

Post by nchunterkw »

I have been hunting with a crossbow since 1996. I started then because they were legal in Ohio and I was so busy I had no time for daily practice with either a recurve or compound vert bow, something I considered a requirement to be "good enough" to shoot at game with a vert bow. But with a crossbow I could be quite deadly (and was/am) without so much practice time. Since then I've killed many archery deer - and 100% of them with my crossbows. I've also killed hogs, and bison with my crossbows. It is simply my weapon of choice, and my favorite weapon, bar none.

One day I'd like to take a deer with my Dad's old Blackhawk 53# recurve made in PA. But I still will need to fling alot of arrows with it between now and then to be confident of a clean kill.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
kamont

Post by kamont »

I shoot a crossbow "because I can" same with any other weapon of choice. I don't feel I have to answer to anybody with an excuse why I do what!! :D :D
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I am one that uses crossbows as mainly pieces of art in my hunting room and why I still have all long limb crossbows. Use crossbows when injured and when it gets really cold outside for hunting. If in a bad spell and not shooting a vertical compound very well I will take the safe bet and grab a crossbow on the way out the door.

It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Look at the way the government and law enforcement treat crossbows. Court bans of weapons link crossbows with guns and you never hear a judge included compound vertical bows in a weapons ban. Ontario removed crossbows out of the ministry bowfishing regulations in Ontario.

Countless times bowfishing using a vertical compound people ask me if I am using a crossbow. General public is frightened to death of crossbows. They think they are a magical weapon that shoots 100 yards all on their own. I don't even tell people I own crossbows.

Their is defiantly a stigma attached to crossbows with the general population of this country. Not enough education I suppose. I live in a small rural town so I can only image it is even worse in the populated cities.

But I am getting to the age where compound vertical is getting harder and harder and my crossbows will keep me in the bush. CHEERS!
davis131

Post by davis131 »

I can remember not so long ago all the fighting over legalizing crossbows in WV,it started out as a handicap permit thing,then the real fight started,the WVBA,PBS all the organizations took shots at crossbows,they'll ruin archery season an such,an I was a member of all those groups but I never felt that strongly one way or the other an I really didn't like "my " organizations spending $$$ on opposing any kind of hunting.I felt we're in a big enough fight against the Anti-hunting Anti- gun groups and pitting hunters against one an other because of weapons choice was just plain crazy..Then it seemed like out of nowhere the new hunting Regs. came out ,Crossbows were legal for all in WV, There was no "town hall" meetings or anything,it was just in the regs now..I thought Okay great,not for me but great non the less..Then one trip to TX with a group of guys from CANADA an the proof was there an the rest was history for me.. :D
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

My state, like many others, only allowed crossbow use if you had a Doctor's form saying that you were not able to use a hand drawn and fired bow until last year. We saw lots of people 'cheat' and get permits when they were perfectly fine to shoot a vertical bow. They did it because it's easier to harvest an animal with a crossbow, period. Anyone who has done both types of shooting and hunting knows that a crossbow is a more effective hunting weapon than a vertical bow and we are not fooling anyone when we say it's the same game. So the stigma of being identified as a 'cheater' by using a crossbow when you could physically use a vertical bow is pretty pervasive in my area. I think we make it worse by trying to tell people crossbow and vertical bows are not different, it's the same challenge, still archery, etc. We need to wake up and tell it like it is - a crossbow is a legitimate hunting weapon that gives us an advantage over vertical bows and we're OK with that. I respect you if you hunt with verticals and you need to do the same for me hunting with a crossbow regardless of how I got here.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Late season hunter here, got stuck to many times trying to draw with multi layers on. Dressed for success just couldn't seal the deal. Even with lower poundage draw weights watched my long sits end not as visioned. Excalibur makes the late season hunts more enjoyable, successful and ethical. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I took up a crossbow because I had to go on disability. NOT the fake disability that some refer to but the one that keeps you from shooting your vertical bow and more importantly keeps a person from hunting altogether. I would much rather be shooting my vertical bow but I must say that the crossbow has been a blessing to me. Heck, it is heavy, awkward and a one shot bow but it is a lot better than the alternative. Stop worrying what others think and go hunt.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:Ive been a traditional guy also since the 80s after having a few compounds. I bought a crossbow to shoot in my blind for turkey because gun was too easy and l had a shoulder issue with my longbow.now lm healed and shooting the longbow but these crossbows are just plain fun thats the bottom line. I am not the dead eye shot l was years ago with the longbow so in all fairness to the game i hunt i have settied for the crossbow. There a lotta fun and anyone who says its not a challange is full of it because i still miss sometimes .enjoy your new hobby l am. Lbj
This is what got me, and Indiana finally legalized them for the entire season without having to have a handicapped license. I'm only a little handicapped, and mostly mentally. :lol: :lol:
I think the age of most here is probably past 40 years old, that would be an interesting survey! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Three shoulder surgeries and a multi buggered up back limit me to 30 lb. draw weight. Not enough to hunt in B.C. Frankly, rifle hunting bored me to tears. I was ready to give up hunting and almost did when my first purchase of a Barnett compound crossbow blew up in my face. I decided to give it one more chance and bought my beast (Equinox). I haven't looked back since. To be close enough to your game that you don't need binoculars to count tines is a thrill that I hope never goes away. When I'm put into the old fogies home, the nurses better keep the doors locked cause I'll be out the door hunting those huge fat squirrels that all the old folks feed. Probably demand the chef cook them too. :lol:
Hank
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

hankenhunter wrote:Three shoulder surgeries and a multi buggered up back limit me to 30 lb. draw weight. Not enough to hunt in B.C. Frankly, rifle hunting bored me to tears. I was ready to give up hunting and almost did when my first purchase of a Barnett compound crossbow blew up in my face. I decided to give it one more chance and bought my beast (Equinox). I haven't looked back since. To be close enough to your game that you don't need binoculars to count tines is a thrill that I hope never goes away. When I'm put into the old fogies home, the nurses better keep the doors locked cause I'll be out the door hunting those huge fat squirrels that all the old folks feed. Probably demand the chef cook them too. :lol:
Hank
That's some funny stuff there! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

hankenhunter wrote:Three shoulder surgeries and a multi buggered up back limit me to 30 lb. draw weight. Not enough to hunt in B.C. Frankly, rifle hunting bored me to tears. I was ready to give up hunting and almost did when my first purchase of a Barnett compound crossbow blew up in my face. I decided to give it one more chance and bought my beast (Equinox). I haven't looked back since. To be close enough to your game that you don't need binoculars to count tines is a thrill that I hope never goes away. When I'm put into the old fogies home, the nurses better keep the doors locked cause I'll be out the door hunting those huge fat squirrels that all the old folks feed. Probably demand the chef cook them too. :lol:
Hank
Peanut squirrels might be good. Never eat a city squirrel because it will taste like your Nabors garbage. Country squirrels are ok. :lol:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Xbowkiller wrote:
Hank
Peanut squirrels might be good. Never eat a city squirrel because it will taste like your Nabors garbage. Country squirrels are ok. :lol:
Naw, them buggers only get the best. I'm amazed that the fat pigs can actually get back up the tree. I've seen the ones you're talking about though. I ran into a gang of them in Vancouver while out for a wander. Talk about a scurvy bunch! They even smelled bad. I swear one even had an eye patch with what looked like a switch blade hidden in his fur. Glad I wasn't packin skittles or some such squirrel crack. A guy could lose a didgit feedin them big black tree rats. I was sure missing my sling shot though. I figure I could have held out for maybe 30 or 50 seconds before they overwhelmed me. I'll take country squirrels any day.
Sorry for the thread jack,
Hank
davis131

Post by davis131 »

Smong2000 wrote:My state, like many others, only allowed crossbow use if you had a Doctor's form saying that you were not able to use a hand drawn and fired bow until last year. We saw lots of people 'cheat' and get permits when they were perfectly fine to shoot a vertical bow. They did it because it's easier to harvest an animal with a crossbow, period. Anyone who has done both types of shooting and hunting knows that a crossbow is a more effective hunting weapon than a vertical bow and we are not fooling anyone when we say it's the same game. So the stigma of being identified as a 'cheater' by using a crossbow when you could physically use a vertical bow is pretty pervasive in my area. I think we make it worse by trying to tell people crossbow and vertical bows are not different, it's the same challenge, still archery, etc. We need to wake up and tell it like it is - a crossbow is a legitimate hunting weapon that gives us an advantage over vertical bows and we're OK with that. I respect you if you hunt with verticals and you need to do the same for me hunting with a crossbow regardless of how I got here.
WELL Said Smong 2000 I totally agree
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

bgarchery wrote:I shoot them because of zombies....and that is the only reason you need. Zombies.
Have fun with the XBow!!!

:lol: