Question about crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Leo Tsuki

Question about crossbows

Post by Leo Tsuki »

Hi there,
I'm a dad of a 15 year old son; I know nothing about crossbows or firearms. My son has requested a crossbow for target shooting in the backyard or at the cottage, but I'm not sure if its a good idea, or if regulations allow crossbows without a licence? We live in the outer GTA. Could any of the more experienced archers tell me what would be best?
Thank you very much, and have a nice day!
Phillyarcher

Re: Question about crossbows

Post by Phillyarcher »

To answer your question I would go to a pro shop that you and your son could shoot the crossbow. This is a not something to play around with if you are not knowledgeable about the crossbow and to set up a target in your back yard I would wait till you have learned the crossbow. I would just shoot at Archery ranges. Not sure where you live but I'm sure you can find a pro shop and range in your area. Hope I answered your question.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
taz3

Post by taz3 »

There are no license required in Ontario for crossbows, but any misuse will fall under the firearms act and fines will be under the criminal code. To safely target practice you should have 50 yards of length and 20 yards wide that would need to be safely closed in, all the way around, so there is any chance of people being endangered. There archey clubs that would be great to use as mentioned. There are also things to be aware of, like keeping your digits off the rail, you will lose them if the string hits them. Always have you safety on, never point at anything you don't intend to hit and more more, most of which is common sense, but should never be taken for granted.

A lighter xbow from Excalibur would be great to learn with and can be more forgiving on wear. 300fps is easy to cock and easy on you and the strings.

Where are you, maybe a member near by can offer some hands on experience, I know I certainly would if you're near me. I'm at the bottom of Lake Simcoe on the east side.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you can wait, there will be a plethora of crossbows at Boofest which is the weekend of July the 22nd.
Where exactly are you located?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Good for you for wading into unfamiliar territory for the sake of your son! I would agree that going to a pro shop would be best.(not bass pro!!!) Hopefully they would go over all the safety aspect with you and him. Make sure you both are familiar with the bow. They are to be treated with respect since they can do damage but if everyone has their wits about them it is also a safe activity. Not sure where around the GTA you are located but there may be discharge bylaws preventing you from shooting in the backyard. If you have neighbours near you then I would not recommend it. A crossbow has a lot of energy and they can & will go thru a wooden fence! The cottage is a better idea and if you are near crown land that's even better!

Crossbows are fun, especially when your a young guy and you can achieve success by hitting bullseyes within a short timeframe!

Stick around and read as much as you can here. Personally I think an Excalibur (recurve limb) would be ideal since there is some maintenance required but much less than other types
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-