Opinions on Matrix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Re: Opinions on Matrix

Post by taz3 »

I went to check out a 350 today and like it very much, great size, reasonable to cock and probably all the punch I'll need. Owning my Phoenix and having it shoot 305fps, I think a 350 or 355 will be the next Excal, I figure with a 450 gr+ arrow, it should carry enough kinetic energy to take down whatever I'll be hunting. Especially since I've read little to no complaints with them, as most have posted here. I like the reliability fact of them as well.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I feel a Matrix 330 is right there with perfection.

I think I like the Matrix series the best.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I have owned them all, my opinion is the 350 and 380 are the sweet spot for all the Matrix bows, they were all sweet and all very accurate. The 380 in my opinion is the best hunting bow I have ever owned,, and I have owned about every quality bow made compound and recurve.

Your choice, the 350 is accurate but don't hit as hard, the 380 hit's harder, but it also draws harder. Off season my 350 get's more shots than the 380. But come time to hunt,, the 380 goes to the woods more than the 350, but regardless which I have I have never felt like I didn't have enough bow for the hunt.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I own a 380 and my son has a 355. I purchased the 355 used here on trading post for a decent price with extras and a spare set of limbs. I had a Exomax but sold it and absolutely love my 380,wouldn't trade it for any bow. My son loves the 355 and took a 10 point with it last year. I think the 350 and 355 have more power than needed but the extra is always nice to have in case of a poor hit or yardage miss calculation. However for me I am happy with my 380 and enjoy the extra power that it provides me. That confidence the 380 gives me is worth every penny and every bit of extra effort to draw it in my opinion.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I often hear or read of the additional " power "of the heavier bows :? :lol:

I have a Matix 380, a micro 335 as well as a new Matrix 350 SE......Any and all of those bows will shoot completely thru an Elk when hit broadside or slightly quartering away behind the shoulder with a quality fixed blade broadhead such as a G-5 Montec or Slick Trick. :lol:

IMO, as has been said and written many times before, it all boils down to perhaps a bit flatter trajectory from the "real heavy weights" ( that may actually be farther than I'm comfortable shooting at game animals with ) , and just how far you want to pull your arrow out of the dirt after the pass-thru.

If you shoot your lighter Matrix 330-350-355 alot and have total confidence in it and your quary happens to be a deer, a hog or similar size critters, by all means pick it up and go! :D

I see very little difference in the performance with " like arrows " from my Matrix 350 or 380 other than draw weight. I do feel that for me the 350 handles a bit better due it's slightly shorter rail length and subsequently lighter front end. However, I wish it had a scope like the one on my 380. I would be and am totally satisfied with which ever I grab as I head out the door for Elk size animals.

When it comes to deer size animals, I'm pretty happy to reach down and find out it's the Micro 335 I have in my hands when I stand back up. :wink:

Micros have proven themselves to me on deer and the Matrix 355 I had served me very well for putting the elk in my avatar in the freezer. :D

IMO, if you do "your part", any of the above mentioned Excalibur models will "do theirs". :D :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Very true Gene and I agree with you. However when I started bow hunting at the age of 12 in 1964 I was using a 48 lb Bear Grizzly recurve bow with feather fletched cedar arrows and 145 gr Bear broadheads.. That was potent medicine for deer back then. I guess the speed of the arrow was around 165 -170 fps maybe less.. Yep those arrows went right through a deer like butter. So with that said archery equipment went into a huge growth spurt with compound bows fiberglass arrows then aluminum arrows and now carbon and of course hybred arrows etc.
Yes the 335, 350,380 .... and even the slowest xbow will completely penetrate a deer or bear for that matter.It is really not about penetration any longer but trajectory. A flatter shooting arrow just makes life easier in terms of distance calculation or rather less calculation.Do I need a 380 no, do I need a 330 no. However in the areas I hunt which is from field edges to thick northern swamps and everything in between I can feel confident that with the use of just one of my scopes crosshairs I can hit a deer or bear all the way out to 45yds ( actually a little more but I don't shoot at animals farther) and not have to think about much else and do it with complete confidence that I won't wound the animal. Believe me I hunted during the times before bow sights were even a common item it was instictive shooting and then when sights came along you needed 4 pins to shoot 40yds...lol. You are correct power is not about penetration it is all about flattening trajectory and that is a huge advantage and convenience for guys of my vintage...lol
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Trigger Tech trigger
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The best hunting bow is one that will accurately push an arrow with the widest cut fixed blade broadhead that is practical; the broadhead being part of an arrow that is as heavy as possible, and yet still is practical; and travelling as fast as possible, given the first two considerations.

That, I suggest, is the best order of priorities. Then pick whatever model can give the best performance.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Michiganhunter,

I too hunted over 50 years with longbows, and some pretty nice custom recurves. At one point I had 42 custom recurves and longbows hanging on the log wall in the bedroom and needless to say, the wife was not to pleased with our bedroom doubling as my Man Cave. :lol: :lol: ...

I only get 1 deer and 1 elk a year if lucky... 38 deer, 3 bears ( last one in Alaska in 2010 on a spring spot and stalk hunt ) and 4 elk later... here I am, a past member of the PBS and a past director of the Traditional Bowhunters of WA.......For me it's all about getting close as possible as thats the way I have always bow hunted... At the ranges I try and get to, usually trajectory is not as much required as concentration on one specific hair behind the shoulder. :wink:

Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Well Gene you are obviously a much more skilled hunter and archer than I will ever be. What eludes me is why waste your time with an crossbow...I would still love to use the old bows but with shoulder injuries and arthritis the constant practice that is required for proficency is not possible anymore. I still love hunting in the bow season so the crossbow has been a blessing for me and I imagine others. If you are still good with those long bows that would be the ultimate hunting in my book...Take care.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Trigger Tech trigger
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I would still love to be using traditional equipment, or at least have that option :roll: but, unfortunately for myself and I emagine others, my age, surgeries to repair both sholders and now a severed tricep in my left arm which no longer supports my bow arm while drawing above 28# prevents that...

I have read several posts about how many discovered crossbow hunting. It seems many are in the same boat as I .... We love archery, archery season, and campfires with old friends we have shared them with for years.... Therefore I made the decision to switch over to crossbow hunting to extend that archery related style of hunting as well as my lifestyle for as long as my legs and lungs will allow me to do so.

I was not trying to critize you, nor imply that I was in any way a more skilled archer than you.... I was just stating that for me a big part of my hunts is just trying to get as close as possible to the animal I'm attempting to harvest.

I should have stated perhaps, that I do not use tree stands and have only tried a pop-up on a coulple occassions. I prefer a spot and stalk type of hunt and it works well for the areas I hunt and the animals I persue... Mule and Blacktail deer seem to continually wander in search of food, they as well as the Elk I hunt are very hard to pattern and therefore i have to adjust to the conditions I hunt in..

Should I have been raised in a dense, crowed area where it seems many have to compete with the neighbor across the fence line or with tressspassers invading their property and food plotts, :cry: I too, would most likely resort to a tree stand and attempt shots at perhaps longer pre-measured distances. I can see where the added flatter trejectory of my 380 could become an advantage under that circumstance. :wink: and still be faced with how deep the arrow went into the ground after the "Pass-thru" :D

This will pretty much be my last post on the forum other than to send those having a Birthday :D a Happy Birthday wish, or to possibly comment on a topic that is especially dear to me. I will continue to enjoy the forum from the sidelines daily, as well as on many late night visits. :wink: I'm always seeking out new info from all of you great contributors and the long llist of Experts here. I will also visit the Trading Post daily as well, to find that great new "Must Have" being offered up in there. :D

My interntion has never been to "talk down" to others as I have considered all here to be my equals and peers. I would hope that my friends will continue to communicate tru PMs , E-mails, or "best of all" thru phone calls. ( Don't have my phone # ? send a PM and you will quickly have it ) :wink:

Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Gene... Not sure what your last paragraph is referring too? If you have miss understood what I was talking about in terms of you being a better hunter than I am.( it appeared that you did) I have no problem with viewing others as having better skills at hunting or shooting than I do. Anyone that can shoot a long bow and successfully take game is better than I will ever be and I won't dispute that...Anyone that knows me will tell you I am the first to applaud others for their accomplishments. In any event maybe I am miss understanding your comments and hopefully can understand if I said something offensive to you.
Please PM me as I would like to make certain that I have in no way offended you or been deemed as out of line...not my intent..Fred
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Trigger Tech trigger