Fixed vs Mechanical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FFMIK

Fixed vs Mechanical Broadheads

Post by FFMIK »

Hi All,

Trying to figure out what type of broadhead to shoot with my Matrix 350. Just curious to what other hunters are using and why? What are the pros and cons of both types?

Thanks

FFMIK
sproulman

Re: Fixed vs Mechanical Broadheads

Post by sproulman »

Go up under SEARCH many topics on broadheads ..I like mechnicals for deer and fixed for bear ..I like SPITFIRES regular ones that have been out for 25 years and SLICK TRICKS for fixed .....

Post by newbie »

Yes as above. Do a general search here and you will have enough to read for the next week or two
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I used these last season. 1 bear and a deer expired quickly after the impact... :)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Spect there be half dz of each. Mech. or Fixed, we all have our likes n them we jus don't care fer. Mech. i really like NAP Spitfire either the 2" XXX or the 1 1/2". Fixed i like Magnus Stingers n the Snuffer SS
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Slick trick 100gr magnums will shoot nicely.
Most mech heads will fly great.
I double band my rocket hammerhead BH for insurance against early opening upon launch mode.
Shoot some and see what your bow likes.
For BH I use 18-1 target.
For fp I use morel crossbow bag target.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
manitou1

Post by manitou1 »

I had good luck with the Cabelas Lazer Strikes this year. Mechanical that I believe is made by NAP. Inexpensive. I can buy six for what three of the other brands cost.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I won't pick one over the other. The difference between them is usually better accuracy with mechanical heads, usually being the key word. Fixed heads usually offer no surprises like premature expansion. They also require less energy to provide a clean pass through which may be overrated to some, not me! I find most good mechanical heads provide great blood trails without pass through exit holes, but sometimes they don't start for a few yards making it difficult to find first blood, especially when the arrow remains in the animal.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

The biggest con I can think of with fixed heads is that you have to eliminate runout. Fixed heads like the Exodus have practically no ferrule to speak of so all you really have to do is to square the front insert. This doesn't mean that runout mechanicals can't cause inaccuracy issues, it just means that alignment is less critical. You still should square the insert and check for alignment.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
schott

Post by schott »

FFMIK wrote:Hi All,

Trying to figure out what type of broadhead to shoot with my Matrix 350. Just curious to what other hunters are using and why? What are the pros and cons of both types?

Thanks

FFMIK
just getting into crossbow hunting but hunted years ago with a compound so I'm old school I will most likely start with a fixed broad head I seen a survey somewhere on fixed broad heads by hunters and the Exodus was rated #1
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There are many great fixed heads out there to choose from. Muzzy in just about any style, NAP, Slick Trick, Exodus, just to name a few. Read what others have used, and do some research here, and watch some YouTube videos. Plenty of media out there, and so many good ones.
Good luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Excal Boltcutters did the deed for me
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR