Help with Coyotes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Reinyrooster

Help with Coyotes

Post by Reinyrooster »

Have the 243 sighted in. Have been out twice to a farm that the farmer swears has coyotes. Good setup, wind in our favour, well concealed, caller out in the field......nothing......two separate times.
This is our first shot at coyote hunting......would appreciate some input as to best time of day, timing of calling etc.
Thanks.
longbow joe

Re: Help with Coyotes

Post by longbow joe »

Dumb longbow joe bought this caller at dicks 3 years ago .....goes in the woods turns it on two giant coyotes come runnin in and l blast em. Then i go a mile down the road call ln another blast him and a big red fox. I thought l was a magic coyote caller....boy was l wrong never had that luck again this year's been hard my point is sometimes you need a little luck . You can try bait if its legal l try everything l can . Play the wind and be patient l dont hunt late nite much but sometimes there just nocturnal and you have to be too.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

A friend of mine in Alberta used to set up a decoy he made and used it in conjunction with a predator call (manual). His decoy was a very rough taxidermied rabbit he stuffed and attached to a car spring mounted to a board. He attached fishing line and went to town. Good luck with the yote smackin.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I'm getting my Butt kicked here in Virginia !!! Foxes and Bobcats no problem. Coyotes are proving to be impossible ! Huge Learning Curve for me !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Ask the farmer if he has any dead animals. Try a raven or crow found food call. Some coyotes are pretty smart. One of them battery operated flopping rabbits works good in conjunctionn with a rabbit in distress call. A friend of mine ties a piece of rabbit skin to fishing line and hangs it over a branch. He does a pretty good imitation of a wounded flopping rabbit. Combined with a rabbit squeal, he has no trouble getting the calf killers to come into range. Oh yeah, the wind is your buddy if you use it right. Look for brush corridors where they move from place to place. If you can get some fresh blood from a butcher to put on your rabbit skin, so much the better. One place that I see them fairly often when I'm walk and stalking, is along fence lines. It's a good place to look for tracks. Good luck we're all counting on you. :D
Hank
Edited to add; Sorry Paul should have read the posts first.
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

This time of year you really need to use coyote vocal sounds. Forget the rabbit sound now. They have heard the bunny blues by now and most are wise to it. The coyote pup sound is your ace but always use it last on the stand. If they can hear it they usually come on the run to it. You can use a raspy type woodpecker sound too. I have called it lots with that sound alone.Even if you shoot a yote keep calling then switch to the pup in distress sounds. Its breeding season now so coyote vocals are your best bet. Don't over call using them. Except the coyote pup distress turn up the volume and let it play.They can show up fast with that sound so be ready.Hope this helps some.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Reinyrooster wrote:Have the 243 sighted in. Have been out twice to a farm that the farmer swears has coyotes. Good setup, wind in our favour, well concealed, caller out in the field......nothing......two separate times.
This is our first shot at coyote hunting......would appreciate some input as to best time of day, timing of calling etc.
Thanks.
we had 1 group enter 17 coyotes in our coyote contest here in pa..DOGS MY BOY..DOGS... 8)
next hunt around 4am in morning ,use shotgun and get ladderstand so they do not wind ya.put stand on highest point of pipeline ...I shot 5 fox 1 night doing this ...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

8ptbuk wrote:I'm getting my Butt kicked here in Virginia !!! Foxes and Bobcats no problem. Coyotes are proving to be impossible ! Huge Learning Curve for me !
hunt at 4am ,get in treestand on highest point on pipeline,use shotgun ..Sproul has spoken... :)
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Good info guys, thanks. Will keep on trying.
manitou1

Post by manitou1 »

Coyotes seldom stay in their den unless during bad weather or have a litter. They will lay up on knolls, old fence rows, brush piles, round bales, etc. You have to park out of site and sneak in using the wind. Woodpecker distress or combination jack rabbit/woodpecker works best for me in the midwest. Hunt prime days, the colder the better or god ice/snow cover as they will be hungry. If you call/hunt in the same area more than once every 3-4 weeks, you are probably "training" them. Just my experiences.
I like to set up in brush or grass fingers jutting out into cut crop fields, using the wind to force them to circle out in the open. Sometimes get 4-5 five in at a time, but killing more than three at a time has evaded me. The others outrun my skills by the time I can nail three of them.
Excalindy

Post by Excalindy »

One of my favorite things to hunt is predators, but it can be pretty humbling. We don't sit much longer than 10-15 minutes on a stand when doing distressed sounds. If they're close, they'll usually come in pretty quick. If doing vocalizations, we might stay longer. Their response will help dictate ours.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

As Hank already mentioned, try a Mojo Critter, or something like it. It attracts the yote, and focus's the yote's attention on the decoy not on you.

I've had yotes and foxes come at it, and even had an owl swoop in and fly away with my Mojo lol
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

Yip yip howl w/ quick skip in the middle of your drawn out howl. Wait 45 min. Quietly ... all them other calls will make them cautious this time of year. And good luck. I've called in a dozen. Kill 0. I retired . They are tough