Arrow Recipe for Turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

Arrow Recipe for Turkey

Post by racking up points »

This will be my first spring targeting turkeys and I want to do it with a crossbow. I might only hunt them once or twice so I don't want to drop a lot of coin into anything outside of what I have in my tackle box. With this being my first go at it, I'm looking for some feedback from experienced turkey archers. I am also open to any tips you might have for a real turkey hunting rookie.

Matrix 310
-388gn Zombie
-170gn FOC

I have read that head shots are preferable but that if you take a body shot you don't want a pass thru and I'm thinking my setup above would produce a huge hole but a limited chance of getting a pass through using the lighter arrow, and wide cut from a Matrix 310.

Your thoughts?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
WVCBH

Re: Arrow Recipe for Turkey

Post by WVCBH »

Pass throughs are just fine. The key is to hit them in the correct spot. A lot of guys will shoot and not find them because they run off and die. Proper arrow placement will drop a bird quickly. My best suggestion would be study the turkey anatomy and shot placement charts, and use the widest cutting broadhead that you can shoot accurately. I've killed them with Muzzys, Swhackers and Wasp Jak Hammers. Also...USE A DECOY!
13023418_534852826721658_2065355623_n.jpg
Still lovin' my EXCALIBUR MICRO 355! :-)
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Hey Derrick, I'm with WVCBH on this one: The key is to hit them in the correct spot.
Here a very good video about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9z7wb-iv5U

My hunting set up:
Micro 335
Zombie 15.5 inches
Spitfire broadhead 1 3/4 inches wide
lumenok
total weight: 400 gr.
Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel

Post by newbie »

ask wes about those FOCs and turkeys....
Good luck bud.... if you want to come here for a hunt or two the door is always open.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I'm going opening day near Dutton and will be using the Magnus Bullheads again. I have yet to get one with the bow. I just need one to stop by..lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Derrick theres no reason your focs wont down a bird with a shot above the legs. I kill them all the time with a spit max and my friend has twelve turkeys under his belt with a schwacker lol (a tiny foc.) A decoy is a must. I love my avians expensive but deadly . Eating hen and a laying hen is all i use. Ten yards out.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Just use what you got listed. I have used that set up in the past and he won't go far , if hit in the wright spot. good luck.
W.M.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] 3 yard recovery with a spit maxx
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Only one bird experience, but Colton shot his jake last year with a FOC out of his Micro. Bird ran about 15yrds, fell over. BIG hole!! If you aren't head shooting, shoot a FOC! It was a pass through but didn't seem to matter.
I have shot birds in the past with regular Slick Tricks, and not had one run very far at all. Good Luck and let us hear.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Put your decoy facing you, when bird comes into decoy he will be face on decoy and looking away from you. If he goes into strut the Texas heart shot does it every time, drops em on the spot. No strut, straight through back in line with Heart.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I have shot 2 birds with FOCs! First one hit high in back(my fault) didn't get pass through. Chased that bird to far and don't want to do that again :lol: Second bird shot forjust above leg but hit just a little low and destroyed a fair bit of meat but bird never went anywhere! Don't think I would shoot a FOC again on turkeys! Was using my 335 nightmare
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've only shot 2 turkeys with a crossbow. I used a G5 Striker Magnum just below where the wing meets the body. Twenty yard recovery.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

mr meat wrote:I have shot 2 birds with FOCs! First one hit high in back(my fault) didn't get pass through. Chased that bird to far and don't want to do that again :lol: Second bird shot forjust above leg but hit just a little low and destroyed a fair bit of meat but bird never went anywhere! Don't think I would shoot a FOC again on turkeys! Was using my 335 nightmare
No swamp racing anymore Wes :mrgreen:
Did you get your boots backs
Boo

Post by Boo »

newbie wrote:
mr meat wrote:I have shot 2 birds with FOCs! First one hit high in back(my fault) didn't get pass through. Chased that bird to far and don't want to do that again :lol: Second bird shot forjust above leg but hit just a little low and destroyed a fair bit of meat but bird never went anywhere! Don't think I would shoot a FOC again on turkeys! Was using my 335 nightmare
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Boo wrote:
newbie wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe I'll just bring that thread back up for everybody can pick on me :lol: :lol: and yes I got my boots back,I had string tied to them and they were mud welded together :mrgreen:
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen