Best long range bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JB'STAXIDERMY

Best long range bolts

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

Hello everyone hope you all are having a good day. Im going to purchase some custom built bolts. I want to know what would be the best bolts to purchase. Im using an equinox and i want to be able to shoot out to 100yds acurately. My biggest question is what weight inserts to go with. I plan on using blazers vanes. Would it benefit me to have them fletched farther away from the nock? Any and all help will be appreciated. THANKS GUYS.
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
Micro.slayer

Re: Best long range bolts

Post by Micro.slayer »

If you where to make a smart choice. Call Jerry South Shore. He will have you dailed in better than anyone! Period. Spend your money once. And as far as bolt choices. There are dozen options
Boo

Post by Boo »

The best long range arrows are the ones you'll make for yourself. It does not take a rocket scientist to make a great arrow. Pauaboutform shoots regularly at 100 yards and he makes them himself.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SEW

Post by SEW »

Boo wrote:The best long range arrows are the ones you'll make for yourself. It does not take a rocket scientist to make a great arrow. Pauaboutform shoots regularly at 100 yards and he makes them himself.
As always, Boo is dead on. A while back I got a set of arrows from Big John, then after his wife got sick, from Jerry at SSAS, then Boo sent me some to test (all arrows were Zombies/Spynal Tapps) and they were all incredibly accurate thru 100 yards. Arrows I've made, equal their accuracy with my very carefully made arrows (squared ends, Bolt fletched Blazers, adequate FOC - at least 190g point wt over nock weight). The key to effective long range shooting, IMO , is adequate but not excessive FOC. Excessive FOC causes more drop at longer ranges.
You can do it!
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

I can build my own bolts thats not a problem. Im just curious how much weight i need up front and how far i need to fletch my bolts from the back of the shaft for long range accuracy.
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
Boo

Post by Boo »

You should use this https://goldtip.com/calculators.aspx
BEA inserts are 80, 92 and 110 gr. Rear plastic nocks are 8 gr and Blazers are 6 gr each. BEA Executioners are 9 gr and Zombies are 9.1 gr per inch.
I think the above is all you need to figure out weight and FOC. I would suggest you stick between 14 to 18 % FOC.
On a 20" shaft I don't think that it matters that much where you put your vanes.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

I've shot my best long-range groups using tactical tapps from South Shore. 92gr brass insert, 100gr F. point, sk 300 vanes, set back 1 3/8" to avoid vane interference with my Adf. Foc 19. Jeff
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

Ok thanks for the info guys ill be ordering some raw shafts and go from there.
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:... It does not take a rocket scientist to make a great arrow. Pauaboutform shoots regularly at 100 yards and he makes them himself.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well then, it's good to understand Paul ain't so much into rockets... :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."