Bulldog 380 thru chrono

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GROOTSKY

Bulldog 380 thru chrono

Post by GROOTSKY »

Has anyone run the Bulldog 380 through a chronograph yet? Most results with the Bulldog 400 seem to put speeds a bit above the Matrix 380 speeds. I'm wondering if the 380 Bulldogs speed will be somewhere around the speeds of the 350-355 Matrix bows.
SEW

Re: Bulldog 380 thru chrono

Post by SEW »

I'm curious about the actual sales of the BD380 vs the other enticing Excal offerings. Have any of the forum users purchased one? I also wonder what the actual speed difference is between the M350SE/LE and the BD380.
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

I just purchased one after struggling to decide between it and the Matrix 380. I know that I am giving up some speed but the Bulldog just had a lighter/smaller feel about it compared to the Matrix. My last bow was an Axiom so either way it was a big step up for me.

I hope to spend more time chasing moose & elk this fall so it took a bit to get over my bias of looking for more speed, even though my little Axiom was able to shoot my stock firebolt through a small buck and I heard the arrow exit thru the trees never to be found. That being said I'm still hoping the Bulldog has decent speed.
Big John

Post by Big John »

I have a Bulldog 380. :)
I find it handles and shoots amazing. Although it hasn't been through a chrono yet. I do have my scope set for 350 fps or so, and shooting beauty, with 400gr arrows. So I'm guessing 355 to 360 FPS max with 400gr, arrows.
I never shoot 350 gr so cant say anything about advertised FPS. Give me another month or so and I will have enough data on this bow from my own tests to write a book. Or just add to the book I have already. :wink:

Big John

I think you got an indestructible bow there!!! 8)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
SEW

Post by SEW »

Big John wrote: I think you got an indestructible bow there!!! 8)
I agree with Big John : I bet it's likelihood of ever breaking a limb is a little below zero. My BD400 seems so docile compared to my M405. The limb mounting geometry gives the Xbow a more relaxed feel.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I have a Bulldog 380. It is faster than my 355. It is also the same size as my 355. It is very well balanced in the hand, and it actually feels lighter than the 355. I put a Hawke XB30 on top and dialed it in with a factory string and it is deadly accurate. Factory trigger is not bad, but it is no Trigger Tech. It should perform great in my neck of the woods come October and November. I have all spring and summer to get very familiar with it. :D
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Square_hammer

Post by Square_hammer »

Nice looking bow NEPA. How do you like the vertical front grip?
Matrix 330
Vortex diamondback 2-7
hha optimizer
8pntbuck string
16.5" zombies with 92gr insert
QAD exodus 125gn
G5 Striker 125gn
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Square_hammer wrote:Nice looking bow NEPA. How do you like the vertical front grip?
I love it. I do not shoot offhand without it. For bench shooting I take it off and attach a bipod.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

NEPA, how would you compare the Bulldog trigger to the stock Matrix?
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

My stock trigger did not last long in my 355. I just had to try a trigger tech. Got the two stage and it was night and day. The bulldog trigger is not bad, I can live with it. But knowing how good a trigger tech is it is going to be tough not putting one in. Maybe later in the year when funds are better.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

Do you know if the current trigger tech triggers are compatible with the Bulldog bows?
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Every thing I have been reading on this forum says they work fine in the bulldogs. You should not have a problem. Took a pic of the trigger area when I first got the bow. The long silver standoff is for the stock screw. Looks simple enough to swap out. If you do it let us know what you think. I believe Excalibur will also rework your trigger for you if your not happy with it.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I have a trigger tech trigger in my bulldog 400
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
SEW

Post by SEW »

mchurch wrote:I have a trigger tech trigger in my bulldog 400
I do also. I like the overall feel. The linkage is no problem for me. However, I understand that Excal will rework your trigger, Boo reworks some triggers, the trigger itself will get smoother with a few hundred shots, and TT exists. I have TT in my 380,400,405 Excals. I may get a 350SE/LE to go with my Aging stock. If so, I'll ask Boo to rework the trigger.

PS That dealer who said to get a BD380 vs the 400 may very well be correct for your situation. For me, I prefer the 400 but bet the 380 is a very sweet cocking and shooting Xbow.