fletching removal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Square_hammer

fletching removal

Post by Square_hammer »

Hi guys, i have a couple bolts i need to refletch. I used the blue top gorilla glue when i fletched them the first time. How do i get the fletches and glue off? Thanks
Matrix 330
Vortex diamondback 2-7
hha optimizer
8pntbuck string
16.5" zombies with 92gr insert
QAD exodus 125gn
G5 Striker 125gn
xcaliber

Re: fletching removal

Post by xcaliber »

There are a few tools commercially designed to strip vanes, but a sharp knife will work. Be careful not to gouge the shaft! Scrape carefully to the shaft, then use Acetone to clean the area before applying new vanes. Norway makes a pretty good arrow vane stripping tool, and Bohning as well.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

The Norway Zip Strip is the best tool I've used. But if you're careful, you can use anything sharp, just don't let the edge of the blade dig into the shaft. I've used Olfa knives but if you aren't really good at controlling the blade, use a dull Olfa knife.
You can follow up with a 3M pad to remove the residual glue and then give it a good scrub with a cotton rag soaked in acetone.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

I've also use the zip strip tool and it works pretty good, but if you're careful, like they say above, any sharp edged instrument (knife, etc.) will do.

A 100% COPPER, and copper only, scrub pad works great for taking off additional residue.

What has worked really well for me is get most off with the zip strip and copper pad, then just drop the mostly/partially cleaned shaft (fletch end of course) into a can of acetone and leave it there for about 5-15 minutes while you're working on other arrows.

A quick wipe or final pad scrub and it's squeaky, literally, clean.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

ThunderXB wrote:I've also use the zip strip tool and it works pretty good, but if you're careful, like they say above, any sharp edged instrument (knife, etc.) will do.

A 100% COPPER, and copper only, scrub pad works great for taking off additional residue.

What has worked really well for me is get most off with the zip strip and copper pad, then just drop the mostly/partially cleaned shaft (fletch end of course) into a can of acetone and leave it there for about 5-15 minutes while you're working on other arrows.

A quick wipe or final pad scrub and it's squeaky, literally, clean.
Yup, same here. I actually keep a jar of acetone dedicated to cleaning inserts and arrows. I no longer scrub but after the initial soak I use paper towel and clean acetone to clean the shaft. Remove your plastic nock before submerging your shaft of course.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wapster

Post by wapster »

I like my ole trusty stanly knife.....put a new blade in it first. Then one wipe with acetone....
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I shave off as much off as I can, then use a bowl acetone with a metal pot scrubber. I think the slight abrasive action of the pot scrubber adds a very slight texture to the arrow that facilitates better vane bonding. I read somewhere that getting acetone inside a carbon arrow is bad for it because it lacks the coating that the outside has. How true this is I don't know but I avoid it just so be safe.
Hank
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

hankenhunter wrote:I shave off as much off as I can, then use a bowl acetone with a metal pot scrubber. I think the slight abrasive action of the pot scrubber adds a very slight texture to the arrow that facilitates better vane bonding. I read somewhere that getting acetone inside a carbon arrow is bad for it because it lacks the coating that the outside has. How true this is I don't know but I avoid it just so be safe.
Hank
I submerge my arrows in the acetone and have found no negative affects.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Back when I was using fletch-tite . All I had to do was put the arrows in the freezer . :lol:
I have a dedicated acetone can now .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
OldWolf

Post by OldWolf »

I use Bohning's The Stripper with pretty good results. I'm now using Fletch-Tite Platinum and I'm happy with it. It has a 2 day cure period but it's holding up well, removal is much easier, there's less chance of gouging and there's no need for acetone. JMO
Those who are brave .. are free.

Grizzly
HHA Optimizer with Hawke Scope, Munch Mount, Quikee 3 quiver,
BowJax2 silencers, self made kydex cheek piece
18" Diablo Arrows w Blazer vanes, 150 gr Boltcutter BH's, Lumenoks
418 grains with 16.66% FOC
JeffTWilliams

Post by JeffTWilliams »

Potato/carrot peeler.Works good for vane and glue removal...give it a try!