feathers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

feathers

Post by W.Miguire »

Just wondering if anyone is using feathers on there arrows. if so what combo are you using?
W.M.
nchunterkw

Re: feathers

Post by nchunterkw »

I am currently using Truflight 2" "Shield Back" feathers. I put them on just like a Blazer with lots of helical from an Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt fletching tool. I use Gateway Feathers fletching glue and have had no issues on carbon. I believe if you call them and ask, they will send you some samples to try for free, but the colors will be whatever they choose and most likely color rejects. But you can see if you like them.

I have also used Gateway's "Rayzr" 2" feather, but found the TruFLights to be a much more consistent product in both shape and grind.

I shoot RamCat and Slick Trick fixed BHs and have no issues with control from these, and they give you a little bit of "free FOC" because they weigh very little. And they give your arrows a more traditional look....especially if you go with a Barred feather look.

Hope that helps.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Bill, I'm curious why you're thinking of feathers? I'm in such a wet part of the country they just don't make any sense for me personally. I'm not nocking them (pun intended :mrgreen: ) but I just don't see any benefit to feathers over vanes other than reduced weight but much reduced durability. I'm just curious.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Hi Paul, it's been a long winter and I am foolen around with things , one year it took me all winter to learn to make my own strings . last year I shoot feathers for deer and they worker ok want to try something new for turkeys . I have always shot feathers with my trad. bows and never used plastic until I started with cross bows I just like foolen around with stuff . I also made all of my trad. bows and arrows. I am fooling around with some spinning inserts now and kinda liken um . seems like the arrow spins and the broadhead don't. they should fly farther and faster with them .
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I understand the tinkering my friend! The one thing I'll say about the feathers is that they look AWESOME! I love the look and different cuts of the feathers. Have fun playing. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

W.Miguire wrote:Hi Paul, it's been a long winter and I am foolen around with things , one year it took me all winter to learn to make my own strings . last year I shoot feathers for deer and they worker ok want to try something new for turkeys . I have always shot feathers with my trad. bows and never used plastic until I started with cross bows I just like foolen around with stuff . I also made all of my trad. bows and arrows. I am fooling around with some spinning inserts now and kinda liken um . seems like the arrow spins and the broadhead don't. they should fly farther and faster with them .
W.M.
Save your turkey wing feathers and get a die. You can shoot feathers you bagged yourself. :D ( or you can get a "hot wire" and burn 'em.....That is a smell you wont forget, I promise!)
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

You bet, I save all mine and get a bunch from other hunters here on the island here and send them off to be ground and cut. I have some 5" and some 4's but I would like to try 2"
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I know what you mean about the smell . when I started in archery it was hard to find die cuts so we burnt them . we live in a 3rd floor apartment in Chicago and had to burn them on the window sill with a fan at my back . yah the good old days . you could buy a gross of wood shafts for 12.00 bucks.
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

I used classic 4" feathers very quiet and love the look. Trying some other things out so if anyone needs feathers have "a few" in colors will let go of. :shock: This for all the help received from members :D Thanks Guys