Time In the Stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tkstae

Time In the Stand

Post by tkstae »

I had a good weekend. Spent my first morning in a climbing stand. I had two does walk within 20yds, but didn't have a clean shot. Called in a lone hen, but she caught me as I raised my Exocet. I still felt good because calling in a fall turkey isn't easy. Ended tonight with two more Does coming close to another stand I had set up. Again I didn't have a shot I felt good about. I still need alot more time in a stand, and more time reading all the great information you guys pour into this forum. I sure had a great time even without taking a shot.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like time well spent even if you didn't shoot. It's always good to hear of the good judgement used in passing up those less than perfect shots. I spent a few hours in my stand this weekend, but didn't even have a deer within range. A large bodied buck passed within 40 or 50 yards, but I never even raised my Exocet as he was moving on a trail that would not offer a shot. I did get entertained by a gray squirrel though! He came in to my feeder, and had up to four chipmunks after him at a time. One would distract him, and another would run up and blindside him. He finally left hungry. He was back tonight, but used a different tactic. He would grab a piece of corn and sit with his backside against the feeder while he ate while carefully watching for an attack :lol:
wabi
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

He sounds like a smart deer. I'd like to see that on tape. Good luck with him.