Makin' Jerky - Cheaper and Healthier

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Makin' Jerky - Cheaper and Healthier

Post by nchunterkw »

Since it's off season for alot of us, I thought I 'd share something I found and started doing this year with some venison. Below are 2 links to some documents by Lex Rooker. The first is his "Pemmican Manual". It explains the ins and outs of drying meat like the ancients did. I have been making very good jerky like this. I is very similar to Biltong, if you have ever had that. The second is his design for a $10 dehydrator. Uses an incandescent light bulb and a 1 foot square cardboard box. I use this too and it works great, and makes a great project for the kids/family. The document is written as such - like for a Boy Scout activity or something.

The thing I like best about this is that you can make the jerky without overheating it and you can putin whatever spices you want. Great for those who cannot have lots of sodium......

Pemmican Manual
http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

Jerky Dehydrator
http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/wp-content/ ... ctions.pdf
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hi5

Re: Makin' Jerky - Cheaper and Healthier

Post by Hi5 »

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hi5 wrote:Interesting read. Thanks for posting.
X2, Thanks.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Years ago I worked on a job that had a Mexican laborer, whose wife got up in the wee hours every morning and made "tacos" for him to bring to work and sell. The foreman loved them so he had us build a plywood box, line it with foil backed Styrofoam insulation and put a lightbulb in it for a heat source so he could keep his tacos warm. We called it a "Mexican Microwave" :lol: :lol: Worked great and those tacos were sure good!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Awesome read! I took a screenshot of the links and definitely want to try this. Have you actually made the pemican and if so, how does it taste? It doesn't seem too appealing but I'd certainly try it. It sounds like a great addition to the bug out bag.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Paul,
The pemmican was the original reason I started researching it, but no I have not made it yet. I keep eating all the dried meat before I can ! :lol:

But seriously, I plan to give that a go too. I looked for some grassfed beef fat here locally but it is hard to come by. Then I found a place online that sells grassfed bison fat. I plan to use that along with venison (I'm out of bison roasts/steaks or I'd try that).

I am planning some very long bike rides this summer, and I want to have some pemmican to take along. I'll definately let you know how it goes. Seems like the perfect "Paleo" way to go, rather than to eat a bunch of carbs.

I'm happy now with my spices so making the pemmican is the next step. If you are going to make it, be sure to try several combos of spices for the jerky before launching into the pemmican.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
mreyner

Post by mreyner »

Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Good read, a great inexpensive way to get into making jerky.
I'm making some right now as we speak, just not the old school way.

Last edited by Bullzeye on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

Thanks for the info! Great ideas!
Bob
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Bullzeye wrote:Good read, a great inexpensive way to get into making jerky.
I'm making some right now as we speak, just not the old school way.

I use my ground for making jerky as well. I use High Mountain Jeky Seasonings. The difference is that those type of things use a sugar base cure and heat the meat up above 120F (I make mine in the oven). With ground you pretty much have to because of all the fat content. Nothing wrong with it al all, just a different product. I've really come to like the low temp method. Definately a differnt taste.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've got a Bradley Smoker and I'm betting I could just use the smoker and not the temperature thermostat and basically dehydrate the meat in there. I can't wait to try this out......and I bet my Vitamix blender will make quick work of the dehydrated meat to make some pemican. 8)

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I've heard of people doing it in a smoker. I'm going to try making pepperettes in my smoker
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I have shot Bradley smokers as well .I have made everything from peperetts German sausage. Hams and bacon. Love that smoker.i do whole turkeys and huge beef roast for party's. Works awesome
addicted to canadian beaver
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Years ago we used a light bulb dehydrator to prepare food for canoe trips. We dried veggies for soups. Meat. Fruit. It worked well. Was a foil lined box. Had a bulb on top and bottom and a dimmer switch. Trays were made of window screen mesh in frames.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

We buy beef liver by the case. Usually about $60 for a whole box. We dehydrate it for our three hound dogs. No additives and it makes 4 stuffed big Ziploc bags full and lasts about 2 months. Butcher gives it to us for a much reduced price. Should see the girls at the check out when they figure out what it is. :lol:

Every time I do Venison for the dogs I just eat it all myself so now the thought about the dogs does not even enter my mind. Bear meat was the best jerky I ever ate.

Michigan I got a jerky kit. Best $29 ever spent. Knife, cutting board (2 thicknesses) Non cut glove, different spices and brines. That's what got me into the jerky world. When I got home I then bought my dehydrator.

I do have a big Majestic Stainless steel propane smoker but it does not do as good of a job as a dehydrator. Besides Premier Kathleen Wynne loves me for using hydro. :wink:

CHEERS!