Micro 355 ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Micro 355 ?

Post by IronNoggin »

My Bow Hunting Partner has (finally) decided to run with an Excalibur!! :shock:
Got that call today, and was only slightly surprised. He has been drooling over my 380 for some time now... :lol:

We discussed the various bows Excalibur offers, and knowing what I do about his preferences, I suggested the Micro 355. He really prefers them small, but wants as much power as is possible. Hell of a shot, and a hell of a hunter, he's packing 25+ years of success with a crossbow, and I certainly do not want to steer him wrong!

So, I thought where better to ask than here?

For those that have / do own them, what are the pro's, and if any, what are the Con's? He'll be making up his mind soon, and I kind of want to sound like I know a little about what I talking about!! 8)

Thanks in advance folks!
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ROGER THAT

Re: Micro 355 ?

Post by ROGER THAT »

Nog
355 Works For Me. Mine Is Shooting A 350 Grain Arrow @ 352 fps And In The Ten Ring Most Shots Out To 40 Yards.
And Is Much Quieter Then Any Other Crossbow I Own.
It's Small And Light Weight. Heck I Didn't Even Put A sling On It. :lol: :lol: :lol:
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I'll help as much as I can being new to crossbows.I bought a Micro 315 last year not really knowing anything but I liked the idea of small and recurve. And killed a whitetail at 47 yards.Further than I planned to shoot and misjudged the distance but the 315 shoots well. I recently bought a suppressor and the extra pull is worth it. Quick and quiet is my take.The 355 may be a little noisier but faster. It's taking me a long time to say the 355 would be a good choice.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Matt, either one would do him well, but the 380 will be the best dollar for dollar in my opinion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey buds, I own both but in all fairness I haven't put the 355 micro through the paces. It does balance and shoulder well and I'm sure is deadly accurate as all these bows are. It does feel harder to cock than the M380 though. I'm sure I'll love it when I get to spend more time with it. All that being said, the M380 is, in my opinion, the ultimate all around crossbow. From Sew's reports it seems the wider limb bows shooting the longer arrows are simply more accurate at longer ranges. Sew reported the slightly better than stock setup Exo series bow his friend had was actually more accurate than his highly customized matrix series bow. Tough call but I'd personally go with the M380 and sacrifice some size for more speed and power.....if he hunts like you especially. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Hi Matt

I put a couple 355's thru some paces. One good point you mentioned was he wanted or likes smaller. Well these 355 Micro Bows are right there. There are all Gen 2 now so extremely reliable, compact, accurate and bush friendly! I consider this VERY important! I can tell you one thing I like is they pound the arrows into targets like a tank canon!! :shock: Keep the arrows about 1/2"in to 1"in bigger than called for. Other specs I can give you when you ask me for your other ones! :wink:
If you put on air brakes, limb dampeners ,and arrow retainer cover, the bow is quite quiet. All in all, an excellent choice. 8)
I am now shooting and testing the Bulldog 380. A bow which I consider to be darn near indestructible. and with the bullpup stock, very stable shooter! Taking it outside in a couple weeks to shoot some distance targets. :)

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

Big John, keep us updated on the Bulldog, there is too much cold & snow up here to even think of shooting for the forseeable future.

Matt, did your friend handle the Bulldog line? The 380 feels smaller than the Matrix 380 not as small as the Micro IMO, but I found it easier to cock than I was expecting and it still puts out decent speed.
SEW

Post by SEW »

paulaboutform wrote:Hey buds, I own both but in all fairness I haven't put the 355 micro through the paces. It does balance and shoulder well and I'm sure is deadly accurate as all these bows are. It does feel harder to cock than the M380 though. I'm sure I'll love it when I get to spend more time with it. All that being said, the M380 is, in my opinion, the ultimate all around crossbow. From Sew's reports it seems the wider limb bows shooting the longer arrows are simply more accurate at longer ranges. Sew reported the slightly better than stock setup Exo series bow his friend had was actually more accurate than his highly customized matrix series bow. Tough call but I'd personally go with the M380 and sacrifice some size for more speed and power.....if he hunts like you especially. :wink:

Paul
I'm an insatiable accuracy affendo. Serious refinement of the complete Xbow system(Xbow, scope,arrows,BHs,etc) off a benchrest setup is only the beginning. I've tested simultaneously, a Micro 335 Gen 1, my highly acuratized M380 & 405, and BD400, and friends' Equinox and Vortex with stock Diablos/Boltcutters and with custom arrows. The Equinox and Vortex were more accurate to 80 & 60 yds respectively than any of the other, much more expensive, newer, better equipped xbows. The Micro 335 was less accurate than the other xbows. As Boo has stated, the longer the limbs, the more accurate. Surprisingly, to me at least, more poundage did not diminish accuracy at all. There seems to be no accuracy difference in the 380,400,405, nor with the 200# Vortex and the 225# Equinox.
I think the BD 380 & 400 will be extremely reliable, gentle and possibly the most accurate of the current Excalibur xbows.
I'm well aware I'm concerned about very small accuracy differences at longer ranges than most are concerned about.
Hope this helps some.
Last edited by SEW on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

All great food for thought Gentlemen!
And all Very Much Appreciated!!

I personally believe the Matrix 380 is the Best Bow Excalibur ever came up with, but then again I must admit to being quite prejudiced! :lol:
It certainly has served me well, shoots extremely accurate to distance, and folds up game like cheap lawn furniture.

That said, I do think my Buddy wants something even smaller in size.
Methinks he now has a damn tough decision staring him down!

I really want to thank you all for helping me get up to speed on this bow!
At least now I have a few thoughts to toss his way when we next chat.

Letcha know what he decides, and hopefully drag him here as a new Convert! :wink:

Cheers & Thanks!
Matt
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

OK i am goin to be honest on these Micro 355's. Mine have all tipped the scales over 6lbs bare! Mine is 315 lbs draw weight split in half 157.5 lbs. I use a C2, my 1st n 2nd had sand paper deck n ate servin's. So mine is now camoed. 400gr arrows will do the fps chrony at 332. I will be keepin mine after all i got done to it :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

The Micros are cute. However, as Mike has stated, they are not light. For the same price, I'd take a M380 over a Micro 355 or Suppressor any day. About the same weight, easier to cock, less stressed, more accurate, etc. slightly larger.
I'd really take a BD380 or 400 over the Micro 355 or Suppressor. I'm w/I 1 month of being 70. I can realitively easily rope cock the 380 &400(thank you, Dr Stirrup) but struggle with the smaller xbows. I'm right at that break point strength wise.
If longer range or more power is important, the Matrix series has the advantage.
roly

Post by roly »

When I bought my micro 355 I thought I might have made a mistake. I will be 65 in a few months and it is bit much to cock if I do a lot of shooting.
But I bought it to hunt with and in my opinion this is where it really shine's. It's easy to carry and very maneuverable in the stand and it's really accurate to the distances I shoot.
Getting the rail anodized was also a big plus. I think I might experiment this summer with longer arrows, but I am happy with it the way it is and I don't even mind the Tact Zone scope. :lol: :lol:
SEW

Post by SEW »

Absolutely, no one size fits all. Currently, I want a Equinox 425 but the day may come when I want a Micro 315 or Matric 330 or 310.
However, Excalibur has most of the bases covered from the Matrix Cub to the BD400 and used M405s.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Nog, I think you may be absolutely correct about the 380. With that said, it has sure been nice totin' Colton's Micro through the turkey woods this weekend! :D good luck to your bud, I don't think there is a bad choice.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I'm like you nogg, if I could only have one hunting bow it would be both my 380's gotta have the Lynx when we got snow, and the mad max any other time! :lol:

but in my opinion the 380 Matrix is the standard hunting bow all my other bows get compared to! But I keep trying to find better, and as we speak their is a Suppressor on the way! I don't plan on shooting it a lot like the 380's and 350 matrix bows, but I think I have a couple very good spots where it;s petite features, and power will be just the ticket.

In all honesty I think your buddy needs both,, a Suppressor and a 380,, life is to short to have just one bow.... at least that's what I tell Jeannine,,,,, :wink:

In all honesty, though If I think SEW is right, and I been thinking about letting go of the 380's in the Matrix I have, and moving to the BD-380,,, I have held em and they sure feel and shoulder better. If I was going new and only would have one bow,,,, the 380 or 400 BD is where I would bee!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!