Q: Tree Stand Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mighty D

Q: Tree Stand Shooting

Post by Mighty D »

I am fairly green to the bow hunting, I do have a Exocet (carved tips)
I have been using carbon arrows and just ordered some Tekan G5 100's.

My question is, when shooting from a tree stand that is 15' up, how does this affect your sighting, Will u hit highter on the target/deer since you are shooting downward?? Since my bow is sighted in on flat ground, curious if there is a difference and how much??

Should I be shooting at deer that a past 25 yards??
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Good thinkin Mighty D----your right you will hit high...or over shoot lets say..

this is what i do-- I sight my exomag with varizone scope in on the ground 10, 20 , 30 ect...with my varizone dialed in at 325 fps ( for reference only) then when Im in a tree 15 - 20 feet up I dial up the varizone to 350 fps. this brings my point of impact where it needs to be. my total arrow wieght is 417 grains.

If you dont have a varizone the best thing is to sight it in while up in a tree if thats where you hunt from the most...

OR sight it in on the ground as normal--and then get up in a tree and shoot a few to see how far your off--then hold your crosshairs that much low to compensate.. remember if you ever have to shoot up hill the do the same--that one will get you thinkin--good luck D youll figure it out in no time :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Todd the archer

Post by Todd the archer »

I always try to shoot it for the horizontal distance the target is away from you.