Tiller problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aib1015

Tiller problem

Post by aib1015 »

I finally had a chance this weekend to sight in my new scope. After the first shot everything started shooting way right. When checking out the tiller it measured off a bit. I put a square on the barrel and the string is off about 3/16 in 16". All screws are tight, I've disassembled and reassembled several times. Is it possible that something is off on the barrel? Anyone else ever have this problem? Is there any way of adjusting the tiller? I had a problem just like this last season. I sent in the limbs and riser. I've shot it since then and thought everything was alright. Any ideas what could cause this.

Image[/URL]
racking up points

Re: Tiller problem

Post by racking up points »

3/16" over 16"?

To measure tiller, go from the face of the limb where it meets the riser and measure from there to the string, (obviously on either side of the riser). Then compare your measurements.

Slight tiller variance is common, it happens when one limb is more stout than the other. Your tiller is not all that bad, judging from the picture. I doubt that's causing your inaccuracies, (do a complete bolt check, especially the trigger box screws - you'll need to remove the stock). Photos can be deceiving. I'd like to know your actual tiller measurements.

It would be almost inconceivable for the mainframe-riser interface to be out of square. To verify that your problem is indeed tiller induced, remove the limbs and flip the left for the right and if your tiller variance migrates, the problem is identified and Bob is your uncle.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

The 3/16" difference is when outing a square on the barrel. The left side is touching the string and the right is 3/16 off the string.
When cocked and hooking a tape on the limb tips and measuring into the barrel, on side is 12 3/8 the other 12 17/32.
I'll try swapping the limbs and see what happens
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

Swapped the limbs, all of the measurements are the same. The squareness of the string to barrel is off the same too. It seems that somehow the riser is not square to the barrel.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Are you 100% that the bottom of the riser is seated flush with the mainframe? You can take the square plug out from the front of the mainframe to see how the mainframe and riser are mating together and you can also scrutinize the gap between the mainframe and riser (deck surface).
Some people just like stepping on rakes
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

Yeah, everything appears to be seated and tightened right. I triple checked all of it. I could be wrong about the riser being out of square (if it is, it's very minute). Should the string be perfectly square to the riser? I would think that a limb problem would show by it being out of square the other direction after swapping limbs. Checked all screws except trigger box. I'll check it out some more tomorrow.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The final test of tiller acceptability is shooting a fixed broadhead. If you can easily keep decent groups at 40 yards, your tiller is ok. No bow has perfect tiller.
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

Thanks for the input. Tiller is off about 1/8" and off the same way after switching limbs. I still have to check the trigger box screws and then I'll try a different set of arrows. Probably won't get time to shoot it again until this coming weekend. But after checking it out some more, I believe I can rule out a tiller problem or a limb problem. The thing that threw me off was when I was shooting, an arrow would hit bullseye and then that same arrow would hit a foot to the right on the next shot. I check it out some more and update once I get a chance to shoot it again.

Post by newbie »

what scope are you using? My money is on it. If you have another scope to try putbit on and see if it cures your target wander.
Check all screws first as advised above... it only takes one loose to casue you headaches.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Boo

Post by Boo »

aib1015 wrote:The thing that threw me off was when I was shooting, an arrow would hit bullseye and then that same arrow would hit a foot to the right on the next shot.
Yep, the above describes a lose fastener or more likely a scope issue.
BTW, have you swapped string stops to see if the apparent tiller issue changes?
In the above quote, are you using field points or fixed broadheads?
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

I was sighting in a new Hawke sb 30 pro, first time it's been out of the house. I was using field points at 20 yds.
Haven't swapped the string stops. Just measured from string to limbs (beside the limb stops) and tips to rail when cocked. Both were off about 1/8". The string is a little out of square to the rail.
All screws are good but haven't checked the trigger box screws, so that is as possibility. If they're tight, I'll try a different scope.
When shooting, the vertical was good. It would just shoot straight our way right.
I'll be sure to check those screws and scope next.

Post by newbie »

make sure you pull up even on the rope cocker as well. uneven cocking will cause this also.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

aib1015 wrote:I finally had a chance this weekend to sight in my new scope. After the first shot everything started shooting way right. When checking out the tiller it measured off a bit. I put a square on the barrel and the string is off about 3/16 in 16". All screws are tight, I've disassembled and reassembled several times. Is it possible that something is off on the barrel? Anyone else ever have this problem? Is there any way of adjusting the tiller? I had a problem just like this last season. I sent in the limbs and riser. I've shot it since then and thought everything was alright. Any ideas what could cause this.

Image[/URL]
It looks to me that right side rubber bumper is deeper than left ..But that should not throw your arrow off like you said ..I laid a level onyour picture and it looked like 1/8 inch difference on your bumpers ..

Only guess..
Boo

Post by Boo »

sproulman wrote:
aib1015 wrote:I finally had a chance this weekend to sight in my new scope. After the first shot everything started shooting way right. When checking out the tiller it measured off a bit. I put a square on the barrel and the string is off about 3/16 in 16". All screws are tight, I've disassembled and reassembled several times. Is it possible that something is off on the barrel? Anyone else ever have this problem? Is there any way of adjusting the tiller? I had a problem just like this last season. I sent in the limbs and riser. I've shot it since then and thought everything was alright. Any ideas what could cause this.

Image[/URL]
It looks to me that right side rubber bumper is deeper than left ..But that should not throw your arrow off like you said ..I laid a level onyour picture and it looked like 1/8 inch difference on your bumpers ..

Only guess..
Sure does look it to me as well.
aib1015

Post by aib1015 »

You would be correct, that the bumpers are off about an 1/8". They always have been. Everything's seated correctly, that's just the way they are and have always been. Since they don't affect the shot, I don't worry about it.

The good news is, I found a loose screw by the trigger (insert a couple of loose screws joke here). Two actually, one holding in the trigger box was slightly loose and the one holding the rail in front of the trigger was loose. I'm sure that was the culprit. I just won't have a chance to try it out until this weekend. The whole work thing keeps getting in the way.
The tiller is still off a little and the string isn't completely square to the rail, but if that's normal and it shoots straight then I should be good to go.
Thanks for the tips and advice.