Unequal limbs when cocked. Normal?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Re: Unequal limbs when cocked. Normal?

Post by sproulman »

Handline wrote:
newbie wrote:
Handline wrote:Any chance your drawing the string unevenly?

Also I would think if it were a limb issue you should see it uncocked as well. Check by measurement the limb tip to a central part of the bow. Like the elivation cap on the scope and see if one is significantly different.
use a fixed point on the bow. Whats to say the scope is level and centered or the cap is perfectly machined. thats just asking for skewed numbers.
Seriously? I used that an example thatis easily referenced. Unless you do not understand what I'm suggesting. He is claiming 3/8" out. I would put more error on reading the tape measure than of my example of a scope elevation cap. Yes the threaded cap is machined to a tighter tolerance than a guy putting a tape against it. The scope if we're out of level by 3/8" the bow would be so inaccurate using anything but center cross hair. Not sure where your coming from trying to undermine my efforts to help but you added nothing and sounded silly
Many here are experts I believe you must have thought he was being smart etc..He was not only helping..I have had smarty pants people on here but NEWBIE never was or is one..Heis class act for sure.. 8)
Handline

Post by Handline »

You did not point any other place to measure...

Wouldn't it be wise for EVERYONE to be considerate to each other, I am trying to help out. Also the length of time or number of posts on a forum does not hold ranking on how good or bad the advise is. You don't know who I am or what I know and ranking people souly on post count in this world of Internet masks is very disheartening to those who may not post a lot.

Also I said in my second post it was a reference point. Pick what ever you choos. I feel the scopes are mounted center enough. Likely .01" on center that the error in reading a tape measure would be greater.

Last attempt at trying to help here is a short YouTube link of my explanation.
https://youtu.be/vQoqd2UZJIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQoqd2UZJIA

Maybe one of these links will work.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Edit to delete. I give up.
Last edited by Boo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Handline

Post by Handline »

Exactly how far off can a scope be? Yes I understand the windage can beadjusted. We are talking minutes of angles, also the extremes of this are cut in half due to the tube length and the point of measurement.

On an Excalibur how bad is the worst scope alignment as far and straight down the rail? Ok now that we are splitting hairs please give me an accurate measurement with a yard stick. I said many times it's a reference point. The method of measurement is so much more inaccurate that what everyone is jumping on me for, and totally missing what I'm trying to say.

The reason for checking this in the in uncocked state was to check for consistency of the unequal limbs. If it doesn't exist uncocked but exists when cocks it leads one to believe it's an uneven cock.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Measuring tiller is really quit easy on a crossbow, compound bow or recurve bow. A bow square works well for this because that is what it is designed to do. I just visually could see that while my crossbow was uncocked that the string was not square with the mainframe rail...simple. So I pulled out my bow square and checked both limbs for square in relation to the rail. Taking a measurement from the left limb where it meets with the bow riser as a baseline to the sting. hen repeating that same location measurement on the right limb to string gave me two different measurements confirming that one limb was in fact out of square in relation to the other limb. I also ran a small carpenter square along the rail and string forming a 90 deg confirmation on both sides of he rail. it was obvious again that the string to rail 90deg intersection was off in my opinion considerably. Would it worsen or would it even affect accuracy I have no idea. But in my mind it bothered me and I expected better. So I sent it to warranty and Excalibur replaced both limbs and now I am a happy camper....lol. Not sure how measuring in relation to the scope can give a sufficient result but I understand that there is always more than one way to skin a cat and to each their own. Tiller in my experience with over 50 years of bow hunting is not a exact science it is a reference at best. On any given bow of any design tiller can be be adjusted to suit a shooters personal release preference or equipment preferences. The gold standard in tiller adjustment is the bottom line..how does the bow shoot? For me on my Excal it was more a matter of my OCD tendencies than initial equipment performance...lol My advice would be if it doesn't bother you that there may be a small perceived tiller concern and you see no performance issues with the xbow then just carry on and enjoy it. Rest assured that if in the future you experience any warranty issues. Excalibur will take care of you and will do so promptly and with perfection. In other words you will be satisfied I am positive of that.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

Thanks Michiganhunter that was exactly the info I was looking for.