Unequal limbs when cocked. Normal?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GROOTSKY

Unequal limbs when cocked. Normal?

Post by GROOTSKY »

I was shooting my BD380 last night and the left side limb seemed to be closer to the rail than the right side. After shooting a dozen or so shots I went inside and measured from center of the rail to the limb tips & the left side is 3/8" closer when cocked.

There is no sign of splintering, maybe just a slightly weaker limb? Should I be concerned or is there always a slight varience? I never noticed on my Axiom but then again I never looked to close. Thanks
Boo

Re: Unequal limbs when cocked. Normal?

Post by Boo »

Shoot a few fixed broadheads. If you're getting good groups, you have nothing to worry about. Shooting fixed broadheads is the final say on tiller.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

How is tiller related to my limb measurement? not sure I'm understanding.

My grouping at 20 yards-prone with bipod was about 2", with my Axiom I was getting almost same hole accuracy, but if I remember right my bow needed a few dozen shots through it to get to that point.
Boo

Post by Boo »

GROOTSKY wrote:How is tiller related to my limb measurement? not sure I'm understanding.

My grouping at 20 yards-prone with bipod was about 2", with my Axiom I was getting almost same hole accuracy, but if I remember right my bow needed a few dozen shots through it to get to that point.
Tiller can be measured by comparing left/right measurements from the string to the limb. It describes the difference in limb strength. The measurement you took is not one that is customarily done. However, if one limb is longer it will really show up in a tiller measurement.
If you think one is longer than the other, remove the limbs and make actual measurements.
Arrow set ups that do well in an Axiom will not necessarily do well in a much faster bow. The faster the bow, the more perfect the arrow, including things like runout and FOC.
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

Thanks, my concern was more along the lines that one limb was weaker than the other and that is why it was pulled closer to the rail when cocked, or would that even be a sign of a weal limb?

At the moment just shooting stock Diablo & field points, will be ordering new arrows once I spend a ton more time researching this forum I deciding on a setup.
Boo

Post by Boo »

GROOTSKY wrote:Thanks, my concern was more along the lines that one limb was weaker than the other and that is why it was pulled closer to the rail when cocked, or would that even be a sign of a weal limb?

At the moment just shooting stock Diablo & field points, will be ordering new arrows once I spend a ton more time researching this forum I deciding on a setup.
No to be impolite, your measurement is meaningless. I can't think of any type of bow that relies on that measurement for anything, so it connects to nothing.
You'll find your accuracy will tighten up when you get some better shafts with more FOC.
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

Thanks, I will measure the tiller tonite. I am happy with this bow, it feels good in the hands and seems to vibrate less than the Axiom did. I was also impressed in the difference of speed, went through my white excalibur target and buried arrow into the fence.

I'm thinking of some Zombies with 92 grain insert, just factory fletched to keep things simple.
Handline

Post by Handline »

Any chance your drawing the string unevenly?

Also I would think if it were a limb issue you should see it uncocked as well. Check by measurement the limb tip to a central part of the bow. Like the elivation cap on the scope and see if one is significantly different.

Post by newbie »

Handline wrote:Any chance your drawing the string unevenly?

Also I would think if it were a limb issue you should see it uncocked as well. Check by measurement the limb tip to a central part of the bow. Like the elivation cap on the scope and see if one is significantly different.
use a fixed point on the bow. Whats to say the scope is level and centered or the cap is perfectly machined. thats just asking for skewed numbers.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

When I purchased my 380 Matrix a few years ago I noticed the tiller was not equal between limbs by about 5/16". I contacted Excal and they had me send my limb and riser assembly back. I received it back with a different set of limbs. Not sure if it would have developed into a accuracy problem or not but It bothered me so I felt I needed to get it resolved. Of course as always Excalibur took care of my concern.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Handline

Post by Handline »

newbie wrote:
Handline wrote:Any chance your drawing the string unevenly?

use a fixed point on the bow. Whats to say the scope is level and centered or the cap is perfectly machined. thats just asking for skewed numbers.
Seriously? I used that an example thatis easily referenced. Unless you do not understand what I'm suggesting. He is claiming 3/8" out. I would put more error on reading the tape measure than of my example of a scope elevation cap. Yes the threaded cap is machined to a tighter tolerance than a guy putting a tape against it. The scope if we're out of level by 3/8" the bow would be so inaccurate using anything but center cross hair. Not sure where your coming from trying to undermine my efforts to help but you added nothing and sounded silly
Boo

Post by Boo »

Edit to delete. I give up.
Last edited by Boo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by newbie »

I was not intending to undermine your attempt. I was pointing out there are much better places to measure to then a scope cap.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

As a general rule I think it would be wise for a relatively new member to be considerate of other existing members of a forum. Especially when those members are consistently pitching in to help other members and have post counts in the thousands....
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Boo

Post by Boo »

Patcon wrote:As a general rule I think it would be wise for a relatively new member to be considerate of other existing members of a forum. Especially when those members are consistently pitching in to help other members and have post counts in the thousands....
Well done!